Upload & Sell: Off
| p.1 #1 · Do you offer discounts? |
I'm sure you've all experienced this before, and I'm sorry if there have been previous threads about this topic, but how do all of you handle discounts? Do you have certain rules for in-season and off-season? Or if the wedding is right around the corner and you're not booked will you offer a discount? Do you have a set amount, or does it depend on each wedding?
The reason I ask is because I have one date left in September and the couple really wants to book me, but I'm a "little bit" out of their budget. I know for a fact that they aren't trying to nickel and dime me, and twice they have said that I'm out of their budget, but I've stood firm in my price. Yesterday I got another email saying that I'm at the top of their list, but they still need some time to make a decision and figure out if they can afford me.
I have a few set rules for my shooting schedule and because of that my 2013 dates are becoming limited, yet I still need to book a few more weddings this year. My rules are...
1. I don't shoot on Sundays, it's reserved for church. friends and family.
2. I take one weekend off a month so that I don't feel like I'm constantly playing catch up. This is a rule I'd like to break, but my wife holds me to it.
3. I won't shoot on my wife or kid's birthdays (my wife's birthday is 9/14, which has been a popular date!)
4. I won't discount if the wedding is in peak season and they are inquiring more than 8 months to 1 year out (it depends on the season).
Other than that I'll double book weekends and take whatever I can.
So, I have this inquiry for Friday September 20th and I'm not sure if someone will come around again for that date. I'm only a little bit out of her budget (I don't know the amount) and everything she wants doesn't cost me much out of pocket (coverage, disc, engagement session and 2nd shooter). The only thing I have to pay for is the 2nd shooter.
Basically here are my questions...
1. Is September still far enough out that the inquiry will come again?
2. Do you have basic rules for discounting or do you discount at all?
3. Does discounting hurt more than help your business?
4. Would you discount this couple to book the wedding?