Upload & Sell: Off
twice they have said that I'm out of their budget, but I've stood firm in my price. Yesterday I got another email saying that I'm at the top of their list, but they still need some time...
So basically this is a game of chicken to see if you'll blink first.
You can't discount fees without an incredibly realistic reason that makes absolute undeniable sense to the prospective client. If you do, you lose credibility.
You can offer to "reduce" their cost by offering less service/product but chances are they want everything you quoted but at a lower price.
Thing is, and not to sound crass or blunt, but unless they have only one week left to live odds are great that they'll be earning money between the two of them for a long time, and so, this notion of what they can afford is a mentally imposed ceiling. It's what they CHOOSE to spend. Even so, you're probably getting their HOPED FOR number. It sounds like you are.
For some reason they haven't CHOSEN to pay your fee. I think I explain why I think that is below.
The reason they're asking for more time to see if they can afford you isn't because their calculator's broken and they can't do the math in their heads but because they're still shopping photographers and they want you kept on the back burner just in case.
So there's not much you can do now. If you were to introduce urgency, as in, "hey folks I just got a call for the same date..." (if true) or other truthful impending reason for them to decide right now (such as a scheduled price increase) it'll likely work against you. You'd be choosing between two evils: trying to get them to book now or take the chance they'll book later on their own. Both may not happen whether you do something now or not.
Even if you said hey guys I'll do it for $TheirBudget, that's no guarantee they'll hop on board. You might find they ask for more concessions.
FWIW, the cure to all this would've been to increase your value in their eyes way before this point so that *sticking* to the budget wasn't the issue.
That's the long answer. The short answer is let it ride, don't bank on it. Take a polite if it's meant to be attitude toward them in what you say and do.
Very true! Todd speaks a lot to that point on his podcasts and blog.
At the initial meeting I was actually comfortably within their budget and then we got to my preferred vendors list. They saw 2 videographers on there and asked about the importance of videography. In order to try and book business for fellow vendors I sold them on having a videographer. That turned around to bite me because now their photo budget is photo + video. The reason they are looking at the numbers is because their options are now to forgo video and have me, or go cheaper on photography so that they can have both.
Since I've stood my ground this long it I feel I can't give in now. I'll most likely ride this one out.