Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Too soft for a 20x30 print?

derbarrett
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Too soft for a 20x30 print?

I took the attached pic during a bridal session a few months ago and the client has selected it as their 20x30 print in one of our packages. The problem is this that is the only pic that I have from this particular setup and her face is soft (I'm still kicking myself for not zooming in to check focus!!). As-is do you guys think image is too soft for a 20x30 print?

Pic

Feb 21, 2013 at 03:53 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Too soft for a 20x30 print?

The focus in on her arm, yes. Honestly, though, I have seen so much worse in big prints that people passed off (and not had anyone notice). Have you already done work on the face to get it sharper?

(and just a small personal crit...I find the in-focus tree branch/trunk on the left side of the frame to be rather distracting...might want to see if that bothers you and consider blurring it a bit.

Feb 21, 2013 at 04:05 PM
Bernie
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Too soft for a 20x30 print?

Not a wedding photographer, just adding my 2 cents worth...

Everything in photography is relative. It looks like the focus was on the roses. If you blur them and generally add a high key glow, keeping it off her face, you could get by with the "dreamy" look. This is especially since you were working with such a narrow DOF to begin with, her surroundings are all bokeh.

There was a lot of camera movement in this shot so I tried to soften the surroundings in relation, as well as working the contrast of subject to BG. Maybe for street photography I was successful. Would it pass in another category or larger size? I don't know...

Feb 21, 2013 at 04:15 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Too soft for a 20x30 print?

joelconner wrote:
The focus in on her arm, yes. Honestly, though, I have seen so much worse in big prints that people passed off (and not had anyone notice). Have you already done work on the face to get it sharper?

(and just a small personal crit...I find the in-focus tree branch/trunk on the left side of the frame to be rather distracting...might want to see if that bothers you and consider blurring it a bit.

+1

I'd soften the branch/bark on the left of the image as it's bringing attention away from the subject (due to her not being in focus perfectly). But fix that and I think it'll be good to go. As Joel says, I've seen far worse. The light and composition is good, and if they've selected it as the largest print they clearly like it as well, so I think you're good to go :-)

Feb 21, 2013 at 04:21 PM
derbarrett
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Too soft for a 20x30 print?

joelconner wrote:

1. Havent done too much work on her face yet.... just trying to get an idea about how it would print in its current state

2. I too have gone back and forth on the infocus tree branch, but kind of like it because I think it helps to give the pic a 3-D look.

Thanks for your input Joe!

Edited on Feb 21, 2013 at 04:33 PM · View previous versions

Feb 21, 2013 at 04:28 PM
tntcorp
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Too soft for a 20x30 print?

on the slight chance the quality of your work will be judged by her audience based on this large print, are there any options to offer her a retake on this shot?

tom

Feb 21, 2013 at 04:33 PM
derbarrett
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Too soft for a 20x30 print?

ricardovaste wrote:
+1

I'd soften the branch/bark on the left of the image as it's bringing attention away from the subject (due to her not being in focus perfectly). But fix that and I think it'll be good to go. As Joel says, I've seen far worse. The light and composition is good, and if they've selected it as the largest print they clearly like it as well, so I think you're good to go :-)

As always.... thanks for the advice Richard!

Feb 21, 2013 at 04:33 PM
Mitch W
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Too soft for a 20x30 print?

I think going with a 20x30 canvas would be more forgiving, if you can convince her to go that route.

Feb 21, 2013 at 04:36 PM
jprezant
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Too soft for a 20x30 print?

dude its fine. you're printing at lik 100dpi anyways.

Feb 21, 2013 at 05:09 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Too soft for a 20x30 print?

If anything maybe just unsharpen the arm or reduce clarity a little bit but I don't think it will be something the client will notice

Feb 21, 2013 at 05:36 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

That Photog
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Too soft for a 20x30 print?

Couple of questions, first was it a tilt shift or photoshop?
Just curious about the settings (camera, lens, aperture...)

Second, I know you aren't asking for critique, but in my opinion having a subject look off frame that close to the edge of the picture creates more anxiety for the viewer. You are left wondering what she is looking at. Generally you want your subject looking into the frame.

In response to your question, I agree with dropping the clarity a little on the roses and her arm and giving it all a "dreamy" look or upsell them to canvas even if you throw in a little discount incentive as it will reflect on you better when other see the image.

Feb 21, 2013 at 05:47 PM
derbarrett
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Too soft for a 20x30 print?

That Photog wrote:
Couple of questions, first was it a tilt shift or photoshop?
Just curious about the settings (camera, lens, aperture...)

Second, I know you aren't asking for critique, but in my opinion having a subject look off frame that close to the edge of the picture creates more anxiety for the viewer. You are left wondering what she is looking at. Generally you want your subject looking into the frame.

In response to your question, I agree with dropping the clarity a little on the roses and her arm and giving it all a "dreamy" look or upsell them to canvas even if
...Show more

1. I will have to check on my home computer.. but if my memory serves me correctly this was shot with a Sony a850 and a Sigma 50mm 1.4 @ f1.4-2.0. Photoshop was used for some addional blur in post.

2. In hindsight I agree... I should have taken a couple of shots where she was placed in the left 3rd of the frame.

Feb 21, 2013 at 06:09 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Too soft for a 20x30 print?

jprezant wrote:
dude its fine. you're printing at lik 100dpi anyways.

agree

at proper viewing distance no one will notice

Is it for the couple? Do they think it will be soft?

Feb 21, 2013 at 06:46 PM
kwhaley29
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Too soft for a 20x30 print?

As others have pointed out if viewed at the proper distance it will probably look just fine. My guess is that given the DPI and the existing softness, it might actually end up having a painterly feel to it.

The only way to know for sure is to have it printed and find out.

Feb 21, 2013 at 07:37 PM
derbarrett
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Too soft for a 20x30 print?

One thing I forgot to mention... this is going to be an acrylic print.

Feb 21, 2013 at 07:52 PM
MarcosH

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Too soft for a 20x30 print?

First of all, it's a beautiful shot of one of the most important days of her life. I think we as photographers can overestimate the technical aspects of our work. It would look fine at a normal viewing distance. (It's mostly other photographers who press their noses to photos being examined)

To me, the sharpness of the far left branch is distracting. Sharpness is relative and it sets up an expectation for the viewer that the subject of the photo should be at least as sharp as this background element. I think it would better suit the mood of the photo to blur the branch and allow the bride to be the sharpest element.

Feb 21, 2013 at 08:07 PM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Too soft for a 20x30 print?

derbarrett wrote:
One thing I forgot to mention... this is going to be an acrylic print.

With the suggestions already noted, it will be fine for this additional reason.

Feb 21, 2013 at 11:11 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Too soft for a 20x30 print?

Not something I'd choose to print at any large size, but the client will probably love it. She chose it after all. I would only ask if she's seen it at this size. That'll be a big loss on your part if she notices after the print. I'd just be honest with her about my concern. Just because it's a concern, it doesn't mean it's not acceptable. I'm assuming this was a TS shot. That $h!t happens.

Feb 21, 2013 at 11:16 PM
morganb4
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Too soft for a 20x30 print?

TTLKurtis wrote:
If anything maybe just unsharpen the arm or reduce clarity a little bit but I don't think it will be something the client will notice

Exactly this.

Feb 21, 2013 at 11:55 PM
Bearmann
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Too soft for a 20x30 print?

You know that you can enlarge it to 20 x 30 in Photoshop and then go to view > actual size or something like that to get a rough idea of how it will look.

Feb 22, 2013 at 12:35 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password