Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

  

Archive 2013 · 5D MK3 in Studio
  
 
superblue
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · 5D MK3 in Studio


Guys...........

Anyone using their 5D MKIII in the studio, if so are you able to use your sync speed of 1/200th with strobes

Martin



Feb 21, 2013 at 03:42 PM
pjbuehner
Online
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · 5D MK3 in Studio


sync of 1/200 is no problem. I get to 1/250..1/320 even with my Mark IV but the 1/200 seems to be the limit with 5DIII. You not getting there? I use Einsteins and either the sync cord or Elinchrom Skyports to trigger.
Hope that helps



Feb 21, 2013 at 03:53 PM
colinm
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · 5D MK3 in Studio


I am, but whether or not you'll be able to is dependent on your triggers and your lights. Some triggers have too much of a propagation delay, some lights have too much of a firing delay (or, at the really cheap end, too long of a flash duration), and if you combine the two, you're probably not getting to 1/200.

If you've got a PC cord, that may let you get to 1/200... but in the studio, you should have enough light control it doesn't make a lick of difference anyway. Set it to 1/60 and forget about it if that what's works.



Feb 21, 2013 at 04:07 PM
superblue
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · 5D MK3 in Studio


I've only purchased a cheapish set for home use, here is the kit but with 2 soft boxes:

http://www.smick.co.uk/sonline/flash-lighting-kits/twin-head-flash-kits/180ws-flash-lighting-kit.html

I was also wondering what triggers to purchase?

Hey Colin, I'm in Tempe next month visiting my buddy, no doubt I will be in Chandler with the wife shopping at the mall, I may have to rein her in a bit though as the UK pound seems to be in free fall against the dollar once again, thanks for the advice.






Feb 21, 2013 at 06:57 PM
superblue
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · 5D MK3 in Studio


pjbuehner wrote:
sync of 1/200 is no problem. I get to 1/250..1/320 even with my Mark IV but the 1/200 seems to be the limit with 5DIII. You not getting there? I use Einsteins and either the sync cord or Elinchrom Skyports to trigger.
Hope that helps


Thanks pj, I've literally just got the lights & will try them out soon, I was curious about the sync speed of the camera & lights but as Colin says, lowering the speed isn't a problem



Feb 21, 2013 at 07:01 PM
jzucker
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · 5D MK3 in Studio


Most folks i know with the 5d III are using 1/125. I don't think anything's changed in that area from the MK II days.


Feb 22, 2013 at 05:59 PM
superblue
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · 5D MK3 in Studio


jzucker wrote:
Most folks i know with the 5d III are using 1/125. I don't think anything's changed in that area from the MK II days.


My friend is using 1/160 ok but at 1/200 he gets the banding, he also has top of he range studio lights



Feb 22, 2013 at 07:05 PM
jzucker
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · 5D MK3 in Studio


I think it has more to do with your transmitter than the lights.


Feb 22, 2013 at 08:01 PM
BrianO
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · 5D MK3 in Studio


superblue wrote:
...I was also wondering what triggers to purchase?


The new Yongnuo YN-622C may be just what you need. They have a feature similar to Pocket Wizards' "Hyper Sync" (not to be confused with Canon's "High Speed Sync") called "Super Sync" that allows the sync timing to be adjusted for highest shutter speeds with strobes, up to and sometimes beyond the normal Speedlite sync speed.

They can be used with both Speedlites and strobes -- including both at the same time.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1157316

http://www.lightingrumours.com/feature-guide-to-the-yongnuo-yn-622-for-canon-2672



Feb 23, 2013 at 05:55 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



superblue
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · 5D MK3 in Studio


Cheers Brian


Feb 23, 2013 at 09:14 PM
jzucker
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · 5D MK3 in Studio


hyper Sync works very poorly with the 5d


Feb 23, 2013 at 10:30 PM
24Peter
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · 5D MK3 in Studio


BrianO wrote:
The new Yongnuo YN-622C may be just what you need. They have a feature similar to Pocket Wizards' "Hyper Sync" (not to be confused with Canon's "High Speed Sync") called "Super Sync" that allows the sync timing to be adjusted for highest shutter speeds with strobes, up to and sometimes beyond the normal Speedlite sync speed.

They can be used with both Speedlites and strobes -- including both at the same time.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1157316

http://www.lightingrumours.com/feature-guide-to-the-yongnuo-yn-622-for-canon-2672


FWIW - my testing shows this is not a usable feature on Alien Bees with Canon DSLR's. I do get clean frames at 1/200th on my 5DII with the 622's (with my RF602's & 603's I was usually at 1/160th and sometimes at 1/125th) but nothing worth using in terms of SuperSync (SS> 1/200th)



Feb 24, 2013 at 12:38 AM
jzucker
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · 5D MK3 in Studio


additionally, i've found that in many of the hypersync scenerios, you are taking a risk with 1/200 on canon with studio lights as the batteries run even a little bit low. I found that i was reliably getting 1/200 for example with the phottix for about 100 shots. After that, i began seeing the black bar. It wasn't worth it. I just shoot at 1/125th now and don't have to worry.

24Peter wrote:
FWIW - my testing shows this is not a usable feature on Alien Bees with Canon DSLR's. I do get clean frames at 1/200th on my 5DII with the 622's (with my RF602's & 603's I was usually at 1/160th and sometimes at 1/125th) but nothing worth using in terms of SuperSync (SS> 1/200th)




Feb 24, 2013 at 01:34 AM
CreativeStudio
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · 5D MK3 in Studio


I am using a 5DIII in studio at 1/200 - consistently working great. I'm using pocketwizard wireless equipment firing 2 PC Buff White Lightning X800? strobes.


Feb 24, 2013 at 01:47 AM
BrianO
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · 5D MK3 in Studio


jzucker wrote:
hyper Sync works very poorly with the 5d


I couldn't say, as I don't have any Pocket Wizard triggers.

I can say that I ordered two sets of YN-622C transceivers today, and I'll be testing their Super Sync with 7D, 5D Mark III, and 6D once they arrive.



Feb 24, 2013 at 03:20 AM
BrianO
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #16 · 5D MK3 in Studio


24Peter wrote:
FWIW - my testing shows this is not a usable feature on Alien Bees with Canon DSLR's. I do get clean frames at 1/200th on my 5DII with the 622's (with my RF602's & 603's I was usually at 1/160th and sometimes at 1/125th) but nothing worth using in terms of SuperSync (SS> 1/200th)


Hmmm. You were only getting 1/125 to 1/160. Now you're getting 1/200, but you say it's not a usable feature.

I'd say that it's not only usable, but since Canon says you can normally only sync at 1/30 - 1/60 with studio strobes, I think it's Super.



Feb 24, 2013 at 03:23 AM
jzucker
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · 5D MK3 in Studio


canon rates the sync at 1/200 on the 5d II but they put a disclaimer in about the higher speeds with studio equipment because basically they know it's a slow shutter. If you work with a sync cord, you can reliably do 1/200. I know because it worked 100% of the time for me when i did with alien bees and even photogenic powerlights which are relatively slow. Only when I switched to wireless did I have the problem.


Feb 24, 2013 at 03:51 AM
Deezie
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #18 · 5D MK3 in Studio


I'm curious. What are you shooting at 1/200 that you can't get in studio at 1/125?


Feb 26, 2013 at 02:31 AM





FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password