Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Craigslist Buyers - Where's the box?

ocir
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Craigslist Buyers - Where's the box?

As a seller, it never cease to amaze me that no matter how detailed I am by posting pictures of the item and provide the condition, people are constantly asking “do you still have the box?” The box seems to be a bargaining chip prior to even seeing the item itself. If I have it then they will pay for what I asked and if not, they make a counter offer. I have been a buyer in Craigslist and all I care is inspecting the item thoroughly and having the box or not doesn’t even cross my mind. Is it just me or any of you experiencing the same thing?

Feb 21, 2013 at 08:51 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Craigslist Buyers - Where's the box?

I've sold over 150 lenses/cameras on eBay, plus about a dozen local sales through Kijiji, and a few on FM. eBay buyers seem to ask fewer questions when the box is included (I post lots of photos and a detailed description), and I figure having the original box and other "in the box" stuff adds about %15 to the final selling price.

Craigslist is pretty slow around here. Kijiji is where local sales are usually happening. I think it's a sort of Tim Hortons vs. Dunkin' Donuts kind of thins.

Feb 21, 2013 at 09:21 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Craigslist Buyers - Where's the box?

the reason is simple: many items on this list have come up from dubious sources and are possibly incomplete due to their potential origin. having a complete package can somewhat reduce the thought of questionable circumstances. what doesn't cross one persons mind does to many others.

Feb 21, 2013 at 09:23 AM
ocir
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Craigslist Buyers - Where's the box?

jcolwell wrote:
I figure having the original box and other "in the box" stuff adds about %15 to the final selling price.

I agree with your assessment but I wonder what exactly makes them think that way? I understand if I am shipping it or if they are buying it as a gift but most of them are buying it for personal use.

Feb 21, 2013 at 09:26 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Craigslist Buyers - Where's the box?

Psychology. It's a more complete package. It's also worth a bit more when you sell it, later.

Feb 21, 2013 at 09:30 AM
ISO1600
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Craigslist Buyers - Where's the box?

Honestly, out of all my selling experiences, I find ebay the least stressful.

on here: lots of lowballs, several experiences where the buyer wasn't satisfied because of something they should have asked about, and starts making paypal dispute threats.
on craigslist: millions of shady people/scammers.
on ebay: BUYERS.

Feb 21, 2013 at 09:31 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Craigslist Buyers - Where's the box?

ISO1600 wrote:
Honestly, out of all my selling experiences, I find ebay the least stressful.

on here: lots of lowballs, several experiences where the buyer wasn't satisfied because of something they should have asked about, and starts making paypal dispute threats.
on craigslist: millions of shady people/scammers.
on ebay: BUYERS.

I agree, although I've had good luck for local sales on Kijiji.

Feb 21, 2013 at 10:13 AM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Craigslist Buyers - Where's the box?

I never hesitate to buy a lens without a box. Its usually a bit cheaper, so it saves me money. When I'm out taking photographs, I never once wished I had the box, .

Feb 21, 2013 at 11:18 AM
garydavidjones
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Craigslist Buyers - Where's the box?

The box and ideally the "mint condition" provides the illusion that
item is virtually new with the same thrill one gets when opening
a shipment of new item(s) from Amazon, BH, etc.

Feb 21, 2013 at 11:25 AM
Jim8EL
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Craigslist Buyers - Where's the box?

garydavidjones wrote:
The box and ideally the "mint condition" provides the illusion that
item is virtually new with the same thrill one gets when opening
a shipment of new item(s) from Amazon, BH, etc.

Seriously?

Not having a box is certainly not a show stopper, but it does in someway speak to the chances that the equipment is what it seems. For instance, a body or lens that has been through multiple owners is not likely to have a box and all the original accessories with it. If I'm going to buy a 2 or 3 thousand dollar camera or lens I want to reduce the risk as much as possible. Anything that points to it being well cared for is a plus. It is not a tell all of good condition just one item of many that can put the buyer at ease with an expensive purchase from an unknown individual.

What amazes me the most is people who post pictures of equipment that are out of focus, underexposed etc...basically a terrible presentation and then don't understand why someone won't pay their price.

Feb 21, 2013 at 05:18 PM
gome1122
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Craigslist Buyers - Where's the box?

To me the box shows that the seller took better care of the gear than someone who would just throw the box away not caring. Plus it adds to the resale value.

Feb 21, 2013 at 06:36 PM
larhouser
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Craigslist Buyers - Where's the box?

I was mugged a year ago - all my gear stolen. Four guys kicked and beat me until I coughed it all up.

Sure hope whoever they sold it to asked for boxes...

Feb 21, 2013 at 10:47 PM
Hutch
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Craigslist Buyers - Where's the box?

My wife thinks I'm absolutely, completely out of my mind for keeping all those empty boxes in a sealed storage bin in the garage;-) And...I'm going nuts because I can't find one box I know I have for a lens I'm getting ready to sell.

Feb 21, 2013 at 10:55 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Craigslist Buyers - Where's the box?

Hutch wrote:
My wife thinks I'm absolutely, completely out of my mind for keeping all those empty boxes in a sealed storage bin in the garage;-) And...I'm going nuts because I can't find one box I know I have for a lens I'm getting ready to sell.

I do the same thing now. And kick myself for tossing boxes years ago as many buyers have a box fetish and are willing to pay more if included along with original packing, cards, etc. I wonder if they sniff the paper and ink to get off or if boxes make the items seem less used?

Feb 22, 2013 at 10:51 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Craigslist Buyers - Where's the box?

The original Canon warranty card smells like pine.

Feb 23, 2013 at 07:24 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Craigslist Buyers - Where's the box?

gome1122 wrote:
To me the box shows that the seller took better care of the gear than someone who would just throw the box away not caring. Plus it adds to the resale value.

I judge the condition of the lens by examining the lens...not the box. All a box tells me is the person has extra room in their house to store boxes.

Feb 23, 2013 at 08:58 AM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Craigslist Buyers - Where's the box?

I do most of my buying here. The box and what comes from the factory makes the buyer believe he is getting everything. That makes it worth more and easier to unload later. My self I store the boxes and very rarely list them in a sell if I'm buying a body or a l series canon lens or Speedlite I like to have the complete item with accessories for the first of its kind but after that if the body has caps ans battery and or grip, speedlites with case and stand and lens with case ans caps that's all I need the software and manuals ill get from Canon. I watch the prices and find a good used item at a fair price and that's what I buy. You can always buy boxes later from some of the retal places.

Feb 26, 2013 at 03:42 AM
Fizzog
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Craigslist Buyers - Where's the box?

Seen scrawled on a wall: "I've lost my virginity."
Reply added: "yes, but do you still have the box it came in?"

Feb 26, 2013 at 05:33 AM
mirageII
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Craigslist Buyers - Where's the box?

Potentially safer transit when wrapped in OEM packaging e.g. box and inserts

Feb 26, 2013 at 07:01 AM
pmiller228
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Craigslist Buyers - Where's the box?

If I see a good price on something and there is no box or manuals, I assume it was possibly stolen. Especially on newer items.

Feb 28, 2013 at 10:17 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.