Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Re-buying my Canon Gear any suggestions

ComicDom1
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Re-buying my Canon Gear any suggestions

A couple of years back, I sold off my Canon gear and changed camps. I realized my mistake and I am now having to re-buy my Canon Gear. I am open to suggestions of what others think I might add.

I have already purchased:

1D Mark IV for main camera with extra battery
1D Mark II for backup (very lightly used)with 3 batteries
Received 28-105 3.5-4.5 Usm Lens with Mark II (This lens will most likely be sold)
EF 40mm 2.8 lens purchased as first lens in kit

Planned purchases very soon:

24-105mm F4 L IS
70-200mm 2.8 IS II
85mm 1.8
Speedlight 600EX-RT or Metz flash

Considering the 28-300mm IS L but I would like opinions. Also possibly considering the 100-400mm L

Thanks,

Jason

Feb 21, 2013 at 08:31 AM
Wobble
• • •
p.1 #2 · Re-buying my Canon Gear any suggestions

Hello Jason and welcome back from the dark side. From your profile it looks like you have a lot of lighting equipment. Knowing what you like to shoot goes a long way towards FMers being able to offer advice and opinions on your planned purchases.

Consider getting a second 600-EX-RT along with the ST-E3-RT. You don't have anything wider than 24mm, so instead of the 28-300mm, get a 1.4 teleconverter for your 70-200mm along with a fast wide prime, maybe even a Tilt/Shift. You mentioned the 100-400, think about going ahead and getting the 500mm. You know you want it.

Feb 21, 2013 at 11:31 AM
CW100
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Re-buying my Canon Gear any suggestions

ComicDom1 wrote:
A couple of years back, I sold off my Canon gear and changed camps. I realized my mistake and I am now having to re-buy my Canon Gear. I am open to suggestions of what others think I might add.

I have already purchased:

1D Mark IV for main camera with extra battery
1D Mark II for backup (very lightly used)with 3 batteries
Received 28-105 3.5-4.5 Usm Lens with Mark II (This lens will most likely be sold)
EF 40mm 2.8 lens purchased as first lens in kit

Planned purchases very soon:

24-105mm F4 L IS
70-200mm 2.8 IS II
85mm 1.8
Speedlight 600EX-RT or Metz flash

Considering the 28-300mm IS
...Show more

the 28-300 is a good superzoom but if you're shooting wildlife, sports, etc. the 100-400 could be a better choice. Or see how an extender /teleconverter works on the 70-200 2.8 II

Feb 21, 2013 at 11:32 AM
willm02118
• •
p.1 #4 · Re-buying my Canon Gear any suggestions

I have the 1D Mark III and the 28-300L and i found it to be a awesome walk around combo. It's a great zoo and vacation combo too. The only downside is the weight and the fact that you are carrying around expensive gear. You would have to be careful of your surroundings. I found it help to get a bag that you can use to pull out your combo quickly. This will help make it more discrete. I found a perfect bag but I forgot the name. It is just the right size for this combo and I usually bring along my 1.4x and the 40 f2.8 even if I don't use it most of the time.

Feb 21, 2013 at 12:17 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · Re-buying my Canon Gear any suggestions

I suggest you stretch your budget a bit and get a 1DIV and a 1DIII. They have the same batteries and very similar user interfaces. The 1DII uses much less capable batteries and has a relatively awkward user interface.

I owned a 28-300L for a while and it's a very fine lens. It's especially useful when you have only one body with you. I usually have two bodies with me, and so I sold the 28-300L and now I typically use either 24-105L + 100-400L or 24-70L II + 70-200/2.8L IS II, depending on what I expect to encounter.

Feb 21, 2013 at 01:04 PM
goosemang
• • •
p.1 #6 · Re-buying my Canon Gear any suggestions

i'd like to spend a week with that 28-300

roger's killing me though... $125 for four days

Feb 21, 2013 at 01:57 PM
willm02118
• •
p.1 #7 · Re-buying my Canon Gear any suggestions

Agree with Jcolwell 100% but I assumed Jason bought the Mark II because of budget constraint. And for him to sell the Mark II would mean he would lose even more money.
As for walking around with two 1Ds, I can't see anyway of doing that discretely! You are bound to attract unwanted attention that way. Would make more sense to get a small rebel if two bodies are preferred.

Feb 21, 2013 at 02:05 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · Re-buying my Canon Gear any suggestions

willm02118 wrote:
...As for walking around with two 1Ds, I can't see anyway of doing that discretely! You are bound to attract unwanted attention that way. Would make more sense to get a small rebel if two bodies are preferred.

Even a single 1D camera with a 70-200L or 28-300L on it is far from discrete. When I want to be discrete, I use an X100 .

P.S. somebody who's "Considering the 28-300mm IS L" can probably absorb the cost difference between a 1DII and 1DIII.

Feb 21, 2013 at 02:07 PM
robbymack
• •
p.1 #9 · Re-buying my Canon Gear any suggestions

Hum seems silly to get the 28-300 when the 24-105 gives you a little wider and from 28-105 the iq is probably equal or better on the 24-105. From 70-200 the iq will be much better on the 70-200 and I think even with the 1.4 tc you'd get better iq from the 70-200 than the 28-300. That lens is a beast too, although you're obviously not afraid of some weight considering a 1d and the 70-200 2.8. In order of personal preference id probably go with 1) 100-400 2) both the 1.4 and 2x tc 3) buy cheap crop camera and tamron 18-270 (you probably wont be happy with this but it serves the superzoom purpose in my book and is light and cheap) 4) 28-300L

Feb 21, 2013 at 03:28 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · Re-buying my Canon Gear any suggestions

The 28-300L is one of my absolutely favorite lenses. I love it's "one stop shopping" use for events. I tend to be more geared toward the wide end of things, so I prefer it on a FF body. Consider getting a 5D2 (or 1Ds2) if you are on a budget, and get some really outstanding shots with this lens.

You seem to be more aligned toward the long end, where this lens will become equiv. to 36mm to 390mm.

As I say, I prefer wide as opposed to long, so my two camera pairing is with 16-35L II to cover practically everything I might encounter.

Shot my daughter's wedding this summer with the 28-300L (w/ flash) on 5D2 and 50/1.2L (available light) on 1Ds2 -- great wedding combo!

The IS is very good in this lens.

For more discrete and light-weight shooting, I recently re-acquired a very sharp copy of the 28-135 IS. Shot it at a birthday party last weekend on a 1D3 -- pretty terrific! But it was a little long at the wide end -- I'd have preferred actual AOV of 28mm.

I see you already have the 1D2, but as Jim said, the 1D3 is considerably better. But as I mentioned, I think you should consider a FF body as well for added versatility.

Feb 21, 2013 at 03:56 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ComicDom1
• •
p.1 #11 · Re-buying my Canon Gear any suggestions

Wobble wrote:
Hello Jason and welcome back from the dark side. From your profile it looks like you have a lot of lighting equipment. Knowing what you like to shoot goes a long way towards FMers being able to offer advice and opinions on your planned purchases.

Consider getting a second 600-EX-RT along with the ST-E3-RT. You don't have anything wider than 24mm, so instead of the 28-300mm, get a 1.4 teleconverter for your 70-200mm along with a fast wide prime, maybe even a Tilt/Shift. You mentioned the 100-400, think about going ahead and getting the 500mm. You know you want it.

Oh you are a dangerous person to listen too but you do make sense. The 500mm lens does look sweet but I do not know how practical it would be for me.

I still shoot large format so a Tilt/Shift lens is a great suggestion. I actually looked at a used one at Calumet when I was in Chicago a day or two ago.

I am up in the air about the extra flash and St-E3-Rt. At one time I had a mix of 2(580), a 550 Canon flashes and the STE-2 (I think that is right). The advantage of having multiple flashes is the ability of having a small portable studio and the ability to have the camera to help control the outputs. At the same time, I am looking at the Alien Bee Vagabond which is small and super light to carry and will power studio strobes. So its a trade off. Both setups have there good and bad points.

What wide angle would you suggest?

Jason

Feb 21, 2013 at 04:16 PM
ComicDom1
• •
p.1 #12 · Re-buying my Canon Gear any suggestions

jcolwell wrote:
I suggest you stretch your budget a bit and get a 1DIV and a 1DIII. They have the same batteries and very similar user interfaces. The 1DII uses much less capable batteries and has a relatively awkward user interface.

I owned a 28-300L for a while and it's a very fine lens. It's especially useful when you have only one body with you. I usually have two bodies with me, and so I sold the 28-300L and now I typically use either 24-105L + 100-400L or 24-70L II + 70-200/2.8L IS II, depending on what I expect to encounter.

Thanks, I will take your suggestion about about replacing the 1DII for the reasons you suggested. I purchased the 1DMKII because I was familiar with it and previously owned one. It has less than 16000 shutter releases on it and it was the right price. Of course I have camera envy and would like to own a 1DX like yours ! ( maybe someday) If I replace the 1DMKII with a 1DX or 5D3 I am kind of back in the same battery boat and user interface issues. Of course either of those cameras would make me very happy and I am sure I would get over it.

Why do you prefer the 100-400 over the 28-300? was there something you did not like about 28-300?

After I get rid of my Nikon Gear and more than likely some Hasselblad gear, I will be able to stretch the budget.

Jason

Feb 21, 2013 at 04:36 PM
ComicDom1
• •
p.1 #13 · Re-buying my Canon Gear any suggestions

willm02118 wrote:
Agree with Jcolwell 100% but I assumed Jason bought the Mark II because of budget constraint. And for him to sell the Mark II would mean he would lose even more money.
As for walking around with two 1Ds, I can't see anyway of doing that discretely! You are bound to attract unwanted attention that way. Would make more sense to get a small rebel if two bodies are preferred.

Will,

I bought the 1D Mark II just to get back into Canon and because the price was right. Coming with three batteries and a lens gave me something to shoot while I was putting together my gear.

I understand your concern about safety. A good Monopod helps in that respect. When I travel in this and other countries, I usually have a nice Slik Pro Pod with me. I am not suggesting I will never have problems but when you have a nice metal stick in your hands people think twice. If you shoot big white L lenses you are going to attract attention.

I also have a point and shoot Canon D10 which is great under water up to a limited depth. I kind of feel in I buy something like a rebel I am defeating the purpose of buying the gear we are talking about. I also think you will find that a used 1DMK 1 or 1DMK II will be similar in price to a small rebel in today's market so the money risk would be the same.

I think it would be great to start another thread having to do with safety issues because you do bring up a valid concern for many photographers with expensive gear.

Jason

Feb 21, 2013 at 04:55 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · Re-buying my Canon Gear any suggestions

Hi Jason,

You're welcome.

The interface on the 1DX is very similar to the 1DIII, 1DsIII, and 1DIV. They all use basically the same batteries, too. The 1DX has a slightly cranked-up version of the LP-E4 battery, called LP-E4N, but they can be mixed & matched with LP-E4 in cameras and on chargers.

I sold the 28-300L because I rarely used it. That's because I almost always have two cameras with me, with the lens combos I mentioned earlier. Even when I take one camera, I often bring my 24-105L and 100-400L. My "day bag" for local, non-photo related activities usually holds a 5DII, 24-105L, and 100-400L.

In my current situation, I use two and sometimes three bodies, and so there's no need to go to a "compromise" setup with one camera and a 28-300L. I say compromise mostly with respect to the range of focal lengths; 24mm to 400mm, vs. 28mm to 300mm. I find the difference between 24mm and 28mm is often meaningful, and 400mm always beats 300mm when you want more reach. Two more aspects of compromise associated with using the 28-300L, 100-400L, and 24-105L are (i) their IQ at the edges and in the corners of full frame images is not as good as the 24-70L II and 70-200/2.8L IS II, not to mention certain primes that are better again, and (ii) they're relatively slow in terms of aperture, which affects max. shutter speed, OOF behaviour (i.e. bokeh), and AF performance in low light. In many situations, these differences are not significant in terms of the resulting photos, but sometimes they are.

There's nothing wrong with the 28-300L, at all. If I ever get in the position that I need another one, then I'll get it. OTOH, sometimes the 24-70/2.8L II, 70-200/2.8L IS II, and 300/2.8L IS provide better results.

Jim

Feb 21, 2013 at 05:20 PM
willm02118
• •
p.1 #15 · Re-buying my Canon Gear any suggestions

Jason,
I only meant to use the rebel as a backup discretely such as a 1D + L lens when you feel safe and bring out the rebel with a smaller lens when it gets dodgy. But I don't mean to highjack your thread and talk about other things. So I will once again just say I agree with Jim 100%. Get two complementary lens on your 1D and call it a day.

Feb 21, 2013 at 09:07 PM
gocolts
• • •
p.1 #16 · Re-buying my Canon Gear any suggestions

For the price of the 28-300L, you could almost pick up a nice used 100-400L, and a 35-350L. That way you don't have to choose, and as long as you can live with not having IS on your 35-350, as well as not having the 28-35mm range, and the 35-350L is lighter than the 28-300L by a decent amount.

I have the 35-350L and had the 28-300L before it. Made the switch so I'd have some cash available for other lenses, and found 35mm was wide enough for when I was using the "all-in-one" solution, and didn't miss IS as I was outdoors for the most part.

The other thing you could do is pick up a 24-105L and a 35-350 from these boards and end up with money to spare compared to the cost of a 28-300L.

Feb 21, 2013 at 09:27 PM
ComicDom1
• •
p.1 #17 · Re-buying my Canon Gear any suggestions

willm02118 wrote:
Jason,
I only meant to use the rebel as a backup discretely such as a 1D + L lens when you feel safe and bring out the rebel with a smaller lens when it gets dodgy. But I don't mean to highjack your thread and talk about other things. So I will once again just say I agree with Jim 100%. Get two complementary lens on your 1D and call it a day.

Oh no Will you certainly did not hijack the thread. I certainly did not take it that way. You had a very valid point and I was just saying it would make a good topic for discussion.

Thanks
Jason

Feb 21, 2013 at 11:34 PM
Cicopo
• • •
p.1 #18 · Re-buying my Canon Gear any suggestions

As the current owner of Jim's 28-300 I can say it does get a bit heavy while walking around with it on a 1D4 BUT I sure like it. It is noticeably heavier than the 35-350 L but the IS seems to work very well. I just returned from my annual trip to Cozumel & although I'm not normally a low light shooter I made a point of trying the combo at ISO 6400 & even took a few ISO 12800 shots & an happy with the results thanks to the IS. I think technique has a lot to do with hand holding results from both mentioned lenses plus the 100-400 which I also use regularly.

Feb 22, 2013 at 12:46 AM
willm02118
• •
p.1 #19 · Re-buying my Canon Gear any suggestions

This is a good discussion. I was also skeptical of the 28-300L (I used to own the 100-400 but never like the push/pull) but when a friend had one to sell, I was given a chance to play with it. I took it with me to Whistler Mountain and I was amazed at the quality of the photos! The 100-400 never wow me like that (although to be fair, I was using it with a 10D). I was able to take pictures of my wife and me closeup and zoom all the way out to catch the mist and the spectactular view of the canyons. I didn't have to change lens (I had my 28-70L and a 17-40L but they never left the bag) and just focus on having a great time. The combo didn't feel like it get in the way of my shooting at all. The weight was manageable and most important, the keeper rate was very high. I know the lens is expensive but it can replace two or three other lens if you are not a pro.

Feb 22, 2013 at 12:03 PM
willm02118
• •
p.1 #20 · Re-buying my Canon Gear any suggestions

PS. I so far only used it on a 1D. I'm waiting till the spring to come back and I'll bring the lens out again but this time, I'll try to use it with my 5D. It should be even more walkaround-friendly lens with a full frame.

I also have to mention that sigma seems to be coming back strong lately. I have used a lot of Sigmas in the past but none of them was worth keeping. But now I have the Sigma 50 f1.4, I found myself liking it very much. I'm seriously drooling over the Sigma 35 but I'll wait till it drops in price before I consider it. I'm seriously torn between getting a expensive 35 (like the Sigma or the 35L) lens or a cheap 35 and a 70-200L f4 nonIS. But that's a story for another thread!

Edited on Feb 22, 2013 at 01:07 PM · View previous versions

Feb 22, 2013 at 12:08 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password