Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       6       end

Archive 2013 · Canon next crop better be competitive!

Sayeret18
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · Canon next crop better be competitive!

IMO the D7100 is a great camera for the money. You are getting D4 class AF, 6fps, 100% vf, dual cards, spot WB, 24MP sans AA filter for $1200. How could that disappoint you? I guarantee the 70D upgrade will be a lot lamer for the same money. Too bad Nikon can't release a lens like the Sony 70-400, as it would be a lot more tempting.

+1 and then some.

Feb 22, 2013 at 03:03 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · Canon next crop better be competitive!

The D7100 is the same price as the intro price was for the D7000, which I bought, and subsequently sold after a frustrating year. But this new camera looks a lot better in its specs and functioning, and if it had been unveiled instead of the original, I might still have a passel of Nikon lenses on hand! And that would have made the D600/D800 more of a possibility for me.

I love the Canon imaging overall (thanks to its lenses and Dig!c processors), and really love its menus, ergonomics, and controls. Like most here, I'm hoping for some interesting developments at reasonable prices for the new 7D and 70D.

Feb 22, 2013 at 03:18 PM
Lasse Eriksson
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · Canon next crop better be competitive!

Sayeret18 wrote:
IMO the D7100 is a great camera for the money. You are getting D4 class AF, 6fps, 100% vf, dual cards, spot WB, 24MP sans AA filter for $1200. How could that disappoint you? I guarantee the 70D upgrade will be a lot lamer for the same money. Too bad Nikon can't release a lens like the Sony 70-400, as it would be a lot more tempting.

+1 and then some.

+2

Feb 22, 2013 at 03:21 PM
mitesh
• • • •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · Canon next crop better be competitive!

PetKal wrote:
That is "forumography" at its best.
I'd like to see people think more in terms of camera's real limitations and strengths to their photography, as opposed to indulging in "technology" pipe dreams so prevalent in our PC/Iphone/Ipad obsessed western society.

Hey Dan GM, good to hear from you again!! We've missed your fatherly chiding!

Feb 22, 2013 at 03:55 PM
alundeb
• • • •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · Canon next crop better be competitive!

Lars Johnsson wrote:
Yesterday you posted specs from a rumor site and wrote about those(7D2) Today when it's real specs and real camera, then we can't thrust it

The rumored specifications indicate a solid upgrade from the 7D, but we need to verify not only that there will be such a camera, but also that a camera delivers. Is there a problem with that?

Feb 22, 2013 at 04:08 PM
Sven Jeppesen
• • • •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · Canon next crop better be competitive!

Lasse Eriksson wrote:
+2

+3

Feb 22, 2013 at 05:31 PM
jorkata
• • •
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · Canon next crop better be competitive!

Pixel Perfect wrote:
IMO the D7100 is a great camera for the money. You are getting D4 class AF, 6fps, 100% vf, dual cards, spot WB, 24MP sans AA filter for $1200. How could that disappoint you?

You nailed it!

The D7100 is the most feature-packed DSLR for the money ... ever.
No other DSLR has offered so much for so little.

But for certain Canon apologists, this is still not good enough - while they find the 6D meager, primitive, crippled specs perfectly acceptable for the high price.
Talk about bias .

Feb 22, 2013 at 06:27 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · Canon next crop better be competitive!

jorkata wrote:
You nailed it!

The D7100 is the most feature-packed DSLR for the money ... ever.
No other DSLR has offered so much for so little.

But for certain Canon apologists, this is still not good enough - while they find the 6D meager, primitive, crippled specs perfectly acceptable for the high price.
Talk about bias .

No that accolade went to the 5D2 .

Feb 22, 2013 at 06:33 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · Canon next crop better be competitive!

Broken record here: Canon is lucky that Nikon doesn't engineer an EOS EF mount system for their top cameras such as D800e and this new D7100. If they were able to reverse engineer all functionality, there might be an awful lot of Canon lenses mounted to Nikon bodies!

Feb 22, 2013 at 06:53 PM
howard
• • •
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · Canon next crop better be competitive!

Gunzorro wrote:
Broken record here: Canon is lucky that Nikon doesn't engineer an EOS EF mount system for their top cameras such as D800e and this new D7100. If they were able to reverse engineer all functionality, there might be an awful lot of Canon lenses mounted to Nikon bodies!

Nikon would never do that in a million years. Their goal is to get you to buy Nikon lenses!

Feb 22, 2013 at 07:12 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Wahoowa
• • •
p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · Canon next crop better be competitive!

For $1200 retail, we, Canon users, never get a camera remotely close to that specs. Hopefully, Canon won't sit still and change to compete.

Feb 22, 2013 at 07:12 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · Canon next crop better be competitive!

howard wrote:
While I agree that the "crop mode" is gimmick, kudos to Nikon for bringing out competitive products. Now Nikon has what, 2 or 3 (not a Nikon user so cannot be sure) 24MP APS-C bodies for users to choose from, while Canon is still sound asleep.

The crop mode is anything but a gimmick for video, where the reach is actually increased.

And for stills, on the D800, it means 4fps vs 6fps which is not small matter. Far more useful than sRAW nonsense.

Feb 22, 2013 at 09:48 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · Canon next crop better be competitive!

Dave_EP wrote:
It's not more 'reach', merely 'in-camera crop' so you don't have to in Photoshop or Lightroom. You don't get any more pixels

No, for video mode it is real and you do get more real reach there.

Feb 22, 2013 at 09:49 PM
Thang
• • • • •
p.5 #14 · p.5 #14 · Canon next crop better be competitive!

skibum5 wrote:
The crop mode is anything but a gimmick for video, where the reach is actually increased.

And for stills, on the D800, it means 4fps vs 6fps which is not small matter. Far more useful than sRAW nonsense.

agreed that the crop mode is far more useful than the sRAW crap.

Feb 22, 2013 at 10:05 PM
Thang
• • • • •
p.5 #15 · p.5 #15 · Canon next crop better be competitive!

Lasse Eriksson wrote:
+2

where did you hear that it's a D4 class AF? The D800/e have the same AF spec but in real world performance, it's not as good as D4. I have used both extensively with the 600 VR and they are not in the same class! Yes, even when both set at same 6 fps rate!

Edited on Feb 22, 2013 at 10:13 PM · View previous versions

Feb 22, 2013 at 10:09 PM
Thang
• • • • •
p.5 #16 · p.5 #16 · Canon next crop better be competitive!

Gunzorro wrote:

hmmm why would either nikon/canon want to do that to each other?

Feb 22, 2013 at 10:10 PM
Thang
• • • • •
p.5 #17 · p.5 #17 · Canon next crop better be competitive!

Sven Jeppesen wrote:
You can't compare a real camera against a rumored camera And that camera has different specs depending on what rumor you read

did you read the word "if"?

Feb 22, 2013 at 10:14 PM
Charlie N
• •
p.5 #18 · p.5 #18 · Canon next crop better be competitive!

Gunzorro wrote:

I think they physically cant due to the distance between lens and sensor. Canon is further away than nikon, so you can add an adapter to the nikon to work with canon, but not vise versa.... dont quote me on it, just my understanding of it (read it somewhere).

Feb 22, 2013 at 10:16 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.5 #19 · p.5 #19 · Canon next crop better be competitive!

Direct from CameraLabs...Nikon is quoting 33 fine jpegs or 100 'normal' jpegs or 7 RAW...but is it reality? Gordon's review of the D7000 revealed it's sadly shallow buffer issue. The last line in Gordan's D7100 preview speaks to my earlier post.

I shoot mainly RAW, plus fine Jpeg sometimes, so the shallow buffer is not impressive...everything else looks really quite good tho...if you don't mind waiting about while the camera freezes so the buffer can take a dump

Memory is not expensive these days why not double/triple the flocking buffer...and really kill Canon, kick it's DX arse...makes no sense at all....it's a conspiracy I tell ya, or just plain stupid

Here's a bit of CL's preview...

'Nikon D7100 continuous shooting

The D7100 shares the same continuous shooting speed as its predecessor of 6fps, although remember it is now shifting 50% more pixels per frame. When I tested the earlier D7000 I was disappointed how quickly the buffer filled, typically after about 15-20 Large Fine JPEGs. Final production D7100 samples are not yet available, but the specifications look promising with Nikon quoting 33 fine JPEGs, 100 normal JPEGs or seven RAW files. Switch the D7100 to its 1.3x crop mode described above and not only will the speed increase to 7fps but the buffer will store 73 fine JPEGs or 12 RAW files.

That said I'm remaining sceptical until I've tested a final production D7100 as the manual for the D7000 quotes 31 Large Fine JPEGs even though I only managed about half that in practice. I should also note the D7000 has a larger buffer for RAW files due to their smaller size.'

Feb 22, 2013 at 10:35 PM
M Lucca
• • •
p.5 #20 · p.5 #20 · Canon next crop better be competitive!

So what's 1.3x out of 1.5x is how many x?

Is that with reduce MP size?

Is Nikon doing the 14bit/12bit dance again? I'm so confused.

Please I just want the straight shot performance.

Feb 22, 2013 at 11:01 PM
       6       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

6       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password