Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       6       end

Archive 2013 · Canon next crop better be competitive!

PetKal
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #1 · Canon next crop better be competitive!

Lars Johnsson wrote:
6 fps Up to 100 Shots at Full Resolution

That is significantly better than my well loved and still useful 1DsMkII, and almost as good as 1DMkIIN.

Feb 22, 2013 at 03:08 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #2 · Canon next crop better be competitive!

I don't get it when people complain about these specs in a $ 1199 camera:

6-7 fps
51 focus points and 15 cross-type sensors
100 full resolution shots for jpg
AF works at f/8

Feb 22, 2013 at 03:09 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.4 #3 · Canon next crop better be competitive!

Lars Johnsson wrote:
I don't get it when people complain about these specs in a $ 1199 camera:

6-7 fps
51 focus points and 15 cross-type sensors
100 full resolution shots for jpg
AF works at f/8

That is "forumography" at its best.
I'd like to see people think more in terms of camera's real limitations and strengths to their photography, as opposed to indulging in "technology" pipe dreams so prevalent in our PC/Iphone/Ipad obsessed western society.

Feb 22, 2013 at 03:16 AM
galenapass
• • • •
p.4 #4 · Canon next crop better be competitive!

Lars Johnsson wrote:
We have to be realistic and not live in fantasy land here This is a camera that cost just over $1k. It also produce files that are a larger than any existing pro/sport body from Canon/Nikon. Bodies like 1DX--1D4--1D3--7D--D3--D3S--D4 all have smaller files than this new body. Most of them a lot smaller. Which make the buffer a lot better when counting how many shots instead of how much data it clear.
And you are surpriced the new $ 1k body has a shitty buffer compared to those
I think it's fantastic if you can get "pro AF" and 6-7fps in
...Show more

excellent point.

This is a great camera at this price point. Many of us do not need a huge buffer anyway. The D7100 would be awesome......if I could just put my 500mm f/4 IS on it.

Feb 22, 2013 at 03:21 AM
Thang
• • • • •
p.4 #5 · Canon next crop better be competitive!

VinnieJ wrote:
The price and specs of the D7100 should be compared to the upcoming 70D. If the 7D2 rumored specs are true it will be well worth $2k for me.

yep +1

Feb 22, 2013 at 03:40 AM
Sven Jeppesen
• • • •
p.4 #6 · Canon next crop better be competitive!

Thang wrote:
yep +1

You can't compare a real camera against a rumored camera And that camera has different specs depending on what rumor you read

Feb 22, 2013 at 03:57 AM
Sven Jeppesen
• • • •
p.4 #7 · Canon next crop better be competitive!

galenapass wrote:
excellent point.

This is a great camera at this price point. Many of us do not need a huge buffer anyway. The D7100 would be awesome......if I could just put my 500mm f/4 IS on it.

+1 yes a great camera. If it was a Canon body I would buy it

Feb 22, 2013 at 03:58 AM
dadgummit
• •
p.4 #8 · Canon next crop better be competitive!

howard wrote:
That is not true. It is equivalent to a 14MP APS-C sensor:
36MP / (1.6^2) = 14MP

Darn pesky math! I forgot to square the crop factor.

I guess we will have to wait to see what Canon's definition of close is.

Feb 22, 2013 at 04:02 AM
ggreene
• • •
p.4 #9 · Canon next crop better be competitive!

Sven Jeppesen wrote:
You can't compare a real camera against a rumored camera And that camera has different specs depending on what rumor you read

Yeah, I think the latest 7D2 rumors have many of us quite excited as it looks like more of a 1D4 replacement at a pretty nice price. Whether those specs become reality is another matter.

Feb 22, 2013 at 05:58 AM
David Baldwin
• • • •
p.4 #10 · Canon next crop better be competitive!

"I'd like to see people think more in terms of camera's real limitations and strengths to their photography"

Ok, on that basis seems to me that the only thing I would like to see improved over my 7D would be high ISO performance. After that my only concern would be price.

Feb 22, 2013 at 08:41 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

alundeb
• • • •
p.4 #11 · Canon next crop better be competitive!

PetKal wrote:
I'd like to see people think more in terms of camera's real limitations and strengths to their photography, as opposed to indulging in "technology" pipe dreams so prevalent in our PC/Iphone/Ipad obsessed western society.

You mean we should consider non-specced variables like AF reliability and image quality before buying a camera?

Feb 22, 2013 at 09:22 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.4 #12 · Canon next crop better be competitive!

PetKal wrote:

Quite right Peter, Canon uses it's research to design/build a body and/or lens for a targeted user and it's possible usage across it's entire user base, and hopefully work this magic without cannibalizing existing product and profit
This still 'mythical' 7D2; it's specs, price, will be a compromise and it will serve Canon's goals first. Given their 5D3/IDX model the 7D2 would be targeted at the high-end sports shooter that requires more reach then FF can give.

The previous xxD split was a test of the semi-pro market share and that decision, tho somewhat unpopular, proved correct given the success of both the 60D and 7D; 7D for action/sports, 60D for everything else, if you want both pay a bit extra for the 7D.

That model seems like a pretty good fit for all, even us 'users', choice is often a good thing but someone must pay for this re-classification... Retail does this all the time, Insurance, investment as well. Give consumers more choices of basically the same stuff, it can be a good and/or a location...it's all about profit and which kind of customer mix will deliver it.

We can wish/hope a company will listen to us as individuals and design/spec a good accordingly, but it's the collective that pushes target. As in life, if you only complain about stuff use thretening language, people around you just stop listening. Explain the issue, give context; evidence, and common ground can be found with open mind, not closed 'me only' driven thought.

Rant, dribble over, it's 230am why am I not sleeping...answer...the dancing/spasming legs of a paralyzed man, with a passion for photography and a hunger for more selflessness, sanity, perhaps even civility in this world

I want...peace.

Jerry aka hippie freak signing off...

Feb 22, 2013 at 10:36 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.4 #13 · Canon next crop better be competitive!

StillFingerz wrote:
Rant, dribble over, it's 230am why am I not sleeping...answer...the dancing/spasming legs of a paralyzed man, with a passion for photography and a hunger for more selflessness, sanity, perhaps even civility in this world

I want...peace.

Jerry aka hippie freak signing off...

Jerry, here is one little suggestion for coping with insomnia: watch any episode of "Keeping up with the Kardashians"........that 'll put you to sleep in 5 minutes guaranteed.
For example, try this.

Feb 22, 2013 at 11:43 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.4 #14 · Canon next crop better be competitive!

PetKal wrote:
Jerry, here is one little suggestion for coping with insomnia: watch any episode of "Keeping up with the Kardashians"........that 'll put you to sleep in 5 minutes guaranteed.
For example, try this.

Or the poor man will gouge his eyes out

Feb 22, 2013 at 12:02 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.4 #15 · Canon next crop better be competitive!

PetKal wrote:
For example, try this.

Pet-less house, no sympathies...leave animals in the wild...so we can shoot them...he says with a grin.

As for me dancing leg nights...unfortunately only very heavy meds like OXY; which I refuse to partake of, can remove this spasticity and/or pain, it's not often, so I've chosen to use the time, not sure always fruitfully, but at least reality is intact; as I've not been removed completely from the moment...and therefore really dribble

Feb 22, 2013 at 12:12 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.4 #16 · Canon next crop better be competitive!

IMO the D7100 is a great camera for the money. You are getting D4 class AF, 6fps, 100% vf, dual cards, spot WB, 24MP sans AA filter for $1200. How could that disappoint you? I guarantee the 70D upgrade will be a lot lamer for the same money. Too bad Nikon can't release a lens like the Sony 70-400, as it would be a lot more tempting.

Feb 22, 2013 at 12:22 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.4 #17 · Canon next crop better be competitive!

Pixel Perfect wrote:
IMO the D7100 is a great camera for the money. You are getting D4 class AF, 6fps, 100% vf, dual cards, spot WB, 24MP sans AA filter for $1200. How could that disappoint you? I guarantee the 70D upgrade will be a lot lamer for the same money. Too bad Nikon can't release a lens like the Sony 70-400, as it would be a lot more tempting.

If you're an action shooter, relay on burst mode, what do specs like that mean if the buffer is crap shallow...an unfortunate problem with many a non-Pro Nikon, not to mention once the buffer is full they are un-shootable until the buffer is 'completely' dumped to card...

You just can't stand around looking pretty, well you can but you'll miss a few shots. Even crappy Canon bodies in the D7000/D7100's market segment don't do that, they do slow down, but they don't stop shooting. There's always a compromise with non-pro bodies. A buddy of mine moved from the D90 to the D7000 mid last year, both have crap sized buffers, my 40D sings along at 6.5 fps all day long, never stops dead to clear the buffer...it's one thing my buddy hates, but Nikon's feel better in hand so he lives with the free time when he can't shoot.

I hope Nikon fixed the buffer issue with this update...it would be a nice move.

Edited on Feb 22, 2013 at 01:33 PM · View previous versions

Feb 22, 2013 at 01:24 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.4 #18 · Canon next crop better be competitive!

alundeb wrote:

You mean we should consider non-specced variables like AF reliability and image quality before buying a camera?

Yesterday you posted specs from a rumor site and wrote about those(7D2) Today when it's real specs and real camera, then we can't thrust it

Feb 22, 2013 at 01:29 PM
thw2
• • • •
p.4 #19 · Canon next crop better be competitive!

Pixel Perfect wrote:
IMO the D7100 is a great camera for the money. You are getting D4 class AF, 6fps, 100% vf, dual cards, spot WB, 24MP sans AA filter for $1200. How could that disappoint you? I guarantee the 70D upgrade will be a lot lamer for the same money.

Actually, I suspect the 70D will be spec'd lower and priced lower than D7100. The 7D2 should be spec'd higher and priced higher. Canon and Nikon APS-C products tend to be staggered this way.

Feb 22, 2013 at 02:12 PM
MintMar
• •
p.4 #20 · Canon next crop better be competitive!

Quite interesting, these days, Canon needs to build a "mini 1Dx" (7D2) to outspec Nikon's middle class APS-C cam.

Feb 22, 2013 at 02:52 PM
1       2       3      
       5       6       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       6       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password