Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              5       6       end

Archive 2013 · Canon next crop better be competitive!

Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon next crop better be competitive!

Just looking at the spec of the new D7100 and there is alot to be liked.

But the real kicker is the price. 1099 body only for the pre order price.

So if as rumours of the new 7D2 are even close and the projected price is around 2000 then I think they could have a couple of problems

As someone that wants a great 7D2 I'd be prepared to swallow a bit more than the D7100 but certainly not nearly double

Feb 21, 2013 at 08:27 AM
Rickuz
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon next crop better be competitive!

Well, I don't care about cropsters, but I think it is very interesting that Nikon once again makes a body without the pesky AA-filter.. First the D800E and now the D7100.

Will Canon ever give us a Camera without AA-filter, or are they too much in love with video?

Feb 21, 2013 at 08:42 AM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon next crop better be competitive!

It will be competitive - with the T2i.

Feb 21, 2013 at 08:58 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon next crop better be competitive!

It looks really great on paper. And a fantastic price. But if I understood it right it will be like a 2x crop camera compared to FF. If so it's too much crop IMO

Feb 21, 2013 at 09:53 AM
robinlee
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon next crop better be competitive!

Canon will definitely lose on pricing to Nikon just by how much. Judging from the 1,099 and 2,000, the difference is significant and crop enthusiasts with minor investment on glass might jump ship. That 1,000 spare can buy you a used Canon 100-400mmL ops uhmm Nikon 80-400mm VR

I do like the idea of 2x crop function for extra reach in an instant 1 hit button without taking the telephoto and putting in the 1.4x or 2x tc the only issue is how will the IQ hold.

Feb 21, 2013 at 10:17 AM
Dave_EP
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon next crop better be competitive!

robinlee wrote:
I do like the idea of 2x crop function for extra reach in an instant 1 hit button without taking the telephoto and putting in the 1.4x or 2x tc the only issue is how will the IQ hold.

It's not more 'reach', merely 'in-camera crop' so you don't have to in Photoshop or Lightroom. You don't get any more pixels

Feb 21, 2013 at 10:20 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon next crop better be competitive!

robinlee wrote:
Canon will definitely lose on pricing to Nikon just by how much. Judging from the 1,099 and 2,000, the difference is significant and crop enthusiasts with minor investment on glass might jump ship. That 1,000 spare can buy you a used Canon 100-400mmL ops uhmm Nikon 80-400mm VR

Of course the IQ will take a big hit when using the crop mode. You loose many MP in resolution

Feb 21, 2013 at 10:37 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon next crop better be competitive!

Lars Johnsson wrote:
Of course the IQ will take a big hit when using the crop mode. You loose many MP in resolution

Lars , the crop mode is nothing more than chopping off the outside pixels . if you look at the specs it goes from 24mp to 15mp (approx) .
so effectivly its reducing to something like a 4/3rds sensor size giving an effective 2x crop instead of 1.5 crop .

of course you could (and probably would ) do the same in Post very quickly using the LR sync tool

Feb 21, 2013 at 10:42 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon next crop better be competitive!

Ian, yes I know that. And I don't really like that feature. I think it's rather useless. But nearly every other spec looks great for that low price

Feb 21, 2013 at 11:04 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon next crop better be competitive!

aagreed its not exactly a feature i would use.

also as said most other features look good.
i guess the wait now is to see how usable the camera is in the real world.

IE does the buffer fully lock you out once full (i think 1 or 2 of the newer nikon bodies still do this)
what is the buffer like ? particualy when using both card slots (RAW+Jpeg) .
I seem to remember lots of canon shooters who jumped onto the D7000 were a bit dissapointed with their choice when they used the camera properly . those AF points were great but AF performance was not the best and the buffer was bad apparently .

If Nikon have properly decided to forget the D400 as a replacement for the D300s and have indeed merged the D300&D7000 into this body and it performs well then I can see any 7D2 replacement thats priced way above this and/or a 70D thats priced close to this without the high spec being a hard sell for canon

And im not canon bashing here , If i was in the market for FF then the 5D3 would be my body of choice , but im not . the extra pixel density my 7D offres me is a big plus for someone who cant justify the cost of a lens longer the 400mm (and not the fast 400's at that) .
at 1500 tops id be interested in a 7D2 with much the same spec as the 5D3 with a crop sensor . anything more than that I may just have to have a look and see what the D7100 has to offer

Feb 21, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

alundeb
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon next crop better be competitive!

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
And im not canon bashing here , If i was in the market for FF then the 5D3 would be my body of choice , but im not . the extra pixel density my 7D offres me is a big plus for someone who cant justify the cost of a lens longer the 400mm (and not the fast 400's at that) .
at 1500 tops id be interested in a 7D2 with much the same spec as the 5D3 with a crop sensor . anything more than that I may just have to have a look and see what the
...Show more

There is no relatively small and affordable Nikon mount lens above 300mm FL that can touch the quality and performance of the Canon 400 5.6L or 100-400L IS. I think I have turned every stone. If there is one, I would be excited to know about it.

Feb 21, 2013 at 12:16 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon next crop better be competitive!

Good show, Ian......are we lead-piping now some possible future Canon camera which doesn't exist even on paper, based on a Nikon camera which exists on paper only since yesterday ?

Feb 21, 2013 at 01:29 PM
howard
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon next crop better be competitive!

While I agree that the "crop mode" is gimmick, kudos to Nikon for bringing out competitive products. Now Nikon has what, 2 or 3 (not a Nikon user so cannot be sure) 24MP APS-C bodies for users to choose from, while Canon is still sound asleep.

Feb 21, 2013 at 01:36 PM
MintMar
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon next crop better be competitive!

PetKal wrote:
Good show, Ian......are we lead-piping now some possible future Canon camera which doesn't exist even on paper, based on a Nikon camera which exists on paper only since yesterday ?

DPR guys hardly made hands-on preview based on specs paper....

Feb 21, 2013 at 01:42 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon next crop better be competitive!

howard wrote:
While I agree that the "crop mode" is gimmick, kudos to Nikon for bringing out competitive products. Now Nikon has what, 2 or 3 (not a Nikon user so cannot be sure) 24MP APS-C bodies for users to choose from, while Canon is still sound asleep.

Yeah I think thats 3 24mp bodies now. and the other 2 have (according to nikon) different sensors. the D5200 sensor is supposed to be from a different manufacture . its also supposed to be a fair bit better than the other one .

Feb 21, 2013 at 02:03 PM
ggreene
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon next crop better be competitive!

The rumored 7D2 specs interest me a lot more but I do like the fact that Nikon is pushing Canon on price and availability. This might speed up the release of the 7D2.

Feb 21, 2013 at 02:11 PM
Sayeret18
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon next crop better be competitive!

This is actually pretty impressive. Frame rate may be a bit slow for serious sport shooters, but otherwise this is an unbelievable package for the price. Seriously, kudos to Nikon.

Feb 21, 2013 at 02:37 PM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon next crop better be competitive!

Don't worry, Canon will screw it up, again.

Feb 21, 2013 at 02:39 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon next crop better be competitive!

Sayeret18 wrote:
This is actually pretty impressive. Frame rate may be a bit slow for serious sport shooters, but otherwise this is an unbelievable package for the price. Seriously, kudos to Nikon.

heck im not even sure id be that worried about the FPS , . many times (in fact most) id like to be able to turn my 7D down a little bit. problem is the next step down is too far .

if as the rumours are true that the 7D2 will do 10fps then lets hope they have a couple of lesser options as well . I dont think id want to have to shoot at 10fps or 3 fps . and the benifit is the slightly slower frame rate helps extend your true buffer time even if it does not add any actual shots to the buffer (although it should as your filling it up slower thus it should be clearing faster) plus the longer time the mirror is down the more information the AF modual is getting

Feb 21, 2013 at 02:46 PM
jj_glos
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon next crop better be competitive!

I was pretty interested when I first saw the D7100 info, then I realised I mis-read the press release... I thought Nikon were bring out a 1.3 crop for around 1k!

Feb 21, 2013 at 02:59 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password