Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Backlit ceremony. Seeking advice.

Inga
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Backlit ceremony. Seeking advice.

Hi folks, I've got a question that the more experienced wedding shooters might be able to help me out with. I have a wedding coming up in a couple of months and just visited the venue for the ceremony, and have some major concerns about the lighting situation.

The ceremony is in a building overlooking a harbour, and the bridal party will be standing in front of a floor to ceiling wall of glass so that the audience will be able to enjoy the view out the windows behind the couple and their celebrant. The ceiling is quite high and made of silver reflective insulation foil. The couple and their celebrant will be standing only 2 meters away from the windows. If I can get them further away from the window that would be a good thing right?

My first instinct is to shoot ambient light and expose for the B&G's skin. Using flash (bounced or OCF) during a ceremony seems like a no-no to me in terms of distraction and being annoying to the B&G and their guests.

My concern is that if the exposure difference is too great between the skin tones and the background (which will be blown out no doubt), that I'm going to get bleed and lost contract etc, and unrecoverable quality loss in the images. I know there is no way to avoid the background from blowing out, without creating a lot more light inside, which I can't do. It will be a late afternoon wedding, (heading into the Australian Winter), so chances are that we're not talking full midday sun light outside...but reduced light outside will also reduce light inside at a similar rate, right?

Are there any practical tips you can suggest? Would underexposing slightly and recovering shadow detail on skin be a good approach? Am I worried over nothing?

Look forward to your advice and input.

EDIT: Meant to mention that I seem to recall a thread on FM regarding a church ceremony with a massive wall of glass behind the alter. But I can't recall what advice was given, and can't find the thread.

Feb 21, 2013 at 05:34 AM
TTLKurtis
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Backlit ceremony. Seeking advice.

Shoot some stuff from the side. Bump contrast up for backlit stuff. Expose for skin for sure.

Feb 21, 2013 at 06:29 AM
Inga
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Backlit ceremony. Seeking advice.

TTLKurtis wrote:
Shoot some stuff from the side. Bump contrast up for backlit stuff. Expose for skin for sure.

Yes, shooting some stuff from the sides was definitely part of the plan. Only problem is that the glass wall behind them actually goes all the way around the building, and would therefore still be in the background regardless of what angle you shoot from. But I figured that shooting from the sides would still yield better results than shooting straight into the light behind them.

Feb 21, 2013 at 06:38 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Prettym1k3
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Backlit ceremony. Seeking advice.

I'd err on the side of underexposing to retain detail. If you blow out the skin tones, it'll be really hard to recover them, especially if the sun is blasting through the windows right at you.

Feb 21, 2013 at 10:22 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Backlit ceremony. Seeking advice.

If you can, it's also nice to shoot from BEHIND them, depending on the angles and what you have access to. I wouldn't want to be all up in their faces but some people do.

Feb 21, 2013 at 10:24 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Backlit ceremony. Seeking advice.

Manual precisely set for the action area. As others have said, that equates to flesh and "shooting to the right" as a result. I'd consider OffCF just for the kiss shots. (if you're experienced enough to change settings fast enough or have a second dedicated rig)

Feb 21, 2013 at 10:32 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password