Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       end

Archive 2013 · Official: Nikon Announces 24MP D7100 DSLR Camera

mike-in-ak
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #1 · Official: Nikon Announces 24MP D7100 DSLR Camera

From Nikon Europe via NikonRumors. D7100 is not the new "flagship".

http://nikonrumors.com/2013/02/24/nikon-europe-the-d7100-is-not-positioned-to-replace-the-d300s.aspx

Feb 25, 2013 at 02:53 AM
AMaji
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #2 · Official: Nikon Announces 24MP D7100 DSLR Camera

mcsquared wrote:
I'm sure this does nothing but add to speculation of a D400 but this was posted on the Pentax forum a coupe of days ago. Not wanting to go too off topic but since many keep referring to the D400 I thought I'd post this link. Take it for what it's worth...

It was projecting the D7100 for March and the D400 for June.

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/215985-new-pentax-cameras-2013-a.html

Now that Nikon 4X is really interesting. It is probably the 24MP DX sensor scaled up to 54MP FX. Have been hearing mutterings about it in many corners.

The Nikon 2 is probably the mirror less Nikon with DX sensors, which is also very interesting.

Feb 25, 2013 at 09:53 PM
firewireguy
• • •
p.5 #3 · Official: Nikon Announces 24MP D7100 DSLR Camera

Well I finally got my 0% CC today so I've gone and ordered one. Very much looking forward to it arriving!

Mar 09, 2013 at 08:22 PM
Tim Ashton
• • • •
p.5 #4 · Official: Nikon Announces 24MP D7100 DSLR Camera

waysaz wrote:
Jorgen Udvang wrote:

Mar 09, 2013 at 11:27 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.5 #5 · Official: Nikon Announces 24MP D7100 DSLR Camera

Tim Ashton wrote:
waysaz wrote:
Jorgen Udvang wrote:
waysaz wrote:
Jorgen Udvang wrote:
. It's hard not to chuckle at today's spray-and-pray style.

Aint that the truth
never hurts to observe and learn a little about what you propose to shoot

Tim

I agree ... if that is how you use high FPS, then it's a poor choice for knowing your subject.

But like anything, high FPS, AF, VR, auto WB, etc etc are all just tools and each has it's place if used to good effect.

Mar 10, 2013 at 03:56 AM
MarcG19
• •
p.5 #6 · Official: Nikon Announces 24MP D7100 DSLR Camera

Moose Peterson has been publishing some stories of his use of the D7100, and he's praised its DR and AF performance (the latter is not surprising, since my impression is that it has the same AF system as the D4/D800). It's of particular note to me, since my main use for a DSLR these days is wildlife photography (thanks to Nikon Rumors).

http://www.moosepeterson.com/blog/2013/03/06/d7100-stories-the-black-sea-turtles/
http://www.moosepeterson.com/blog/2013/02/25/d7100-stories-moose-the-sloth/

Also note Thom Hogan's discussion of the D7100 vs D600 as an upgrade path for D7000 users in his just published D600 review. He expects it to be about a stop behind the D600 (which he's demonstrated is good - I also found the sensor excellent when I tried it out).

Speaking personally, I'm extremely happy with the D7k in terms of sensor performance (dynamic range at lowest ISO, dynamic range/noise/colors at ISO 3200/6400) from my initial use of it (just got it a few weeks ago). Much better than my D300. The "problem", if anything, is in features, and in the buffer. Although, many of those I know who photograph for money (wildlife, wedding, fashion pros and semi-pros) use JPG, since it makes their many 1000s of shots per session workflow easy and since they know how to get the picture right in camera. If I shot wildlife like this I could probably make do with the buffer.

The D7100 seems to have a few extra features (AF is welcome), a better sensor (always welcome but not for me quite as important). For me, it might be worth purchasing if I decide I need a backup DSLR (which the D7k would the become).

But I think I will wait until August or so - then we should start seeing some discounts , the Canon 7DMkII will be out and as a result we'll have solid info on a D300s successor since that would be more in line with my needs (and yes, I think there will be one given the 7DMkII. What it will have besides a better buffer and higher frame rate is another question - I hope the Canon will be a mini 1D because I think Nikon's plan would be to have a DX D4. But that topic's been beaten to death and is for another thread)

Mar 11, 2013 at 02:27 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

agelessphotog
• •
p.5 #7 · Official: Nikon Announces 24MP D7100 DSLR Camera

Has there been any mention on how the D7100's High ISO and noise compare to the D7000's?

Mar 11, 2013 at 08:33 PM
snapsy
• • • •
p.5 #8 · Official: Nikon Announces 24MP D7100 DSLR Camera

agelessphotog wrote:
Has there been any mention on how the D7100's High ISO and noise compare to the D7000's?

The D7100 likely shares the same sensor as the D5200, which has just a smidgen better High ISO noise performance vs the D7000 and with 1EV more High ISO dynamic range, which is significant.

Mar 11, 2013 at 09:31 PM
Gregstx
• • •
p.5 #9 · Official: Nikon Announces 24MP D7100 DSLR Camera

snapsy wrote:
The D7100 likely shares the same sensor as the D5200, which has just a smidgen better High ISO noise performance vs the D7000 and with 1EV more High ISO dynamic range, which is significant.

Snapsy, are you sure it is the same sensor as the D5200? I thought I saw or read something that said it was not the same sensor as the D3200 or the D5200. Of course that does seem strange to me. 3 different sensors for 3 different cameras doesn't make a lot of sense.

Mar 13, 2013 at 04:19 AM
snapsy
• • • •
p.5 #10 · Official: Nikon Announces 24MP D7100 DSLR Camera

Gregstx wrote:
Snapsy, are you sure it is the same sensor as the D5200? I thought I saw or read something that said it was not the same sensor as the D3200 or the D5200. Of course that does seem strange to me. 3 different sensors for 3 different cameras doesn't make a lot of sense.

I probably saw the same video as you, which relayed second-hand info from Nikon that the D7100 has a different sensor than the D5200. But I'm thinking they might have meant that the D7100 is AA-filter-less vs the D5200. But I could be wrong. I agree it would be odd for Nikon to introduce a third sensor in the D7100, esp. since the D5200's Toshiba sensor has significant DR improvements at High ISO, although it does have banding in the extreme shadows at low ISO vs the Sony EXMOR equivalents.

Mar 13, 2013 at 04:28 AM
theSuede
• • • •
p.5 #11 · Official: Nikon Announces 24MP D7100 DSLR Camera

It is the same sensor base. The sensor edge connectors are identical, and the off-image areas are almost identical.

In manufacturer terms the sensor is the sensor package, including plate, filter stack and mounting plate. I've seen large manufacturers say "new sensor" after adding RF filters on the feed lines on the mounting plate.

Exactly what they changed we'll have to see later. But it's probably a small revision, and a different filter stack.

Mar 13, 2013 at 09:37 AM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password