Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       end

Archive 2013 · Official: Nikon Announces 24MP D7100 DSLR Camera

ucphotog
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Official: Nikon Announces 24MP D7100 DSLR Camera

Here's my theory about whether there will be a D400. Look at the price sheet. There's a *huge* price gap between the D7100 at $1200 and the D600 at $2200. The D300s sits there now, but it's obviously very long in the tooth. I suspect that they will price *something* to be $1600 to replace the D300s. I can't imagine them coming out with a new FX camera this year after last year, so it must be a DX camera.

Or a really expensive CX.

Feb 22, 2013 at 01:01 AM
waysaz
• •
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Official: Nikon Announces 24MP D7100 DSLR Camera

Jorgen Udvang wrote:
No idea. Was just looking for something that takes just over a second. Never done track and field
Motor sports, which is what I mostly do, is simply a too obvious example.

Motor sports makes much more sense. But I guess if you're gonna shoot with the big boys, you need to bring the big guns. I shot gymnastics on film in the '90s with a beater F3. Very little motor drive, except for planned sequences of new skills. It's hard not to chuckle at today's spray-and-pray style.

Feb 22, 2013 at 01:53 AM
Doug Maclean
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Official: Nikon Announces 24MP D7100 DSLR Camera

I just just shot my d7k side by side with a d600 that my local camera store let me use.Shot in a number of diffirent light conditions and cropped the d600 to match the images of the d7k...Not impressed.Resolution was lower.color depth was not as good and I saw no diffirence in dynamic range.Since I shoot 90% wildlife it does not do it for me at almost double the price.Doug M

Feb 22, 2013 at 01:57 AM
mcsquared

p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Official: Nikon Announces 24MP D7100 DSLR Camera

I'm sure this does nothing but add to speculation of a D400 but this was posted on the Pentax forum a coupe of days ago. Not wanting to go too off topic but since many keep referring to the D400 I thought I'd post this link. Take it for what it's worth...

It was projecting the D7100 for March and the D400 for June.

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/215985-new-pentax-cameras-2013-a.html

Feb 22, 2013 at 02:15 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Official: Nikon Announces 24MP D7100 DSLR Camera

waysaz wrote:
Motor sports makes much more sense. But I guess if you're gonna shoot with the big boys, you need to bring the big guns. I shot gymnastics on film in the '90s with a beater F3. Very little motor drive, except for planned sequences of new skills. It's hard not to chuckle at today's spray-and-pray style.

Not everyone who shoot motorsports or air shows is a "big time" professional who wants to spend $5K on a body and $11K on a lens.

I've shot air shows, motor sports, baseball, football, soccer, etc. I don't do it for the money, I do it for the fun of it. I like having pro-capable gear but don't care for FX ... price, weight and bulk.

As for your comment about spray-and-pray ... it's not always like that. I used to shoot all these activities with with a lowly D70s (3 FPS) and got plenty of keepers. So I have the skills and the timing ... but with my D300 I get many more keepers and often times BETTER keepers.

Have you ever shot a person running straight at you? Their facial expression change faster then their feet hit the ground .... the facial expression makes or breaks the image and it can't be timed. Same with many good sports shorts ... I can nail the action I want with one or two frames 90+% of the time ... but the facial espression ... wow, that takes many many tries.

Then with things like motor sports, you have no control of backgrounds and car positioning and panning at low shutter speeds and long lenses, even if you are skilled, can be a challenge. In this case, the continuous mode makes getting the shot you desire easier. It's a tool that when combined with skill, makes for greater success and enjoyment.

Another thing I do is series shots where you show 5 or 7 frames of an action or event evolving. Again, facial expressions are improtant ... and human events and actions evelove over seconds of time. I have several of these series shots hanging on my wall and people love them. Only way to take them is with a motor drive clicking away at 5+ frames per second for 3 or four seconds.

Feb 22, 2013 at 02:17 AM
Jorgen Udvang
• • • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Official: Nikon Announces 24MP D7100 DSLR Camera

What Andre said, plus...

With sports photography, unless you shoot for one of the big magazines, newspapers or teams/sponsors, the budget is often very limited. Shooting for teams like I do, I'm always the last person to get paid. If an engine blows up, I can get a spectacular photo, but I also know that the cost for the team will probably mean I have to wait a couple of months for payment. I've talked with lots of colleagues around the world, and most of them share my frustration.

So full frame is mostly out of the question, not so much because the bodies cost more, but the lenses. Where I can get away with a 300mm, I would need a 500 and so on. In addition, spending a race weekend carrying almost twice the weight isn't much fun either. So DX it is.

I was very close to changing to Olympus E-5 for action photography about a year ago because of this, and I'm still not sure if it was the right decision staying with Nikon. Although 4/3 is kind of dying, the available gear is very suitable for action photography and if Nikon insist that sport shooters should all buy the D4, I'm out.

The solution for me for now if there's no D400 within reasonable time might be a D800. In DX mode and with the grip, it manages 6 fps and 30 RAW images in the buffer. That makes it more suitable than the D300 and D2Xs that I use now, and the bonus is of course that I get a 36MP camera as a "free" bonus

Feb 22, 2013 at 03:07 AM
theSuede
• • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Official: Nikon Announces 24MP D7100 DSLR Camera

Andre Labonte wrote:
Ah, NO! I shoot sports all the time and I shoot in RAW mode 100% of the time. RAW makes it much easier to fix exposure issues in difficult and highly variable situations. Even with my D300 I hit the buffer at times if the action goes on long enough.

For me, buffer is a BIG issue.

Then get a D800 with a grip!
You get much better overall image quality when shooting in FX mode for the after-game interviews and prize ceremonies, and if you need buffer depth during the game you can set it in DX-crop mode and then you get 50+ 15MP raw images in buffer depth (@5-point-something fps only though).

With the D600 you "only" get 10MP, but on the other hand you get 5.5 steady fps and a buffer of 80+.

If you need more fps, well then you're screwed so far. But I've seen D3s cameras with limited amateur usage (<10k klicks on the bodies) go for less than 2500US$ locally here in Sweden. And we're like the second most expensive country in the world or something.

I'm not condoning their (Nikons) marketing strategy, I can just say that it's more than ok for at least 90% (maybe 99%?) of the intended target group for the product. For the last percentages they probably want you to go D3s and later D4.
OR they will release yet another model - but based around another sensor that can handle the throughput. This one can't. It just hasn't got the com line bps throughput to give you more than the measly 2,100,000,000 bits per second that it currently does.

Feb 22, 2013 at 03:15 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Official: Nikon Announces 24MP D7100 DSLR Camera

theSuede wrote:
Then get a D800 with a grip!
You get much better overall image quality when shooting in FX mode for the after-game interviews and prize ceremonies, and if you need buffer depth during the game you can set it in DX-crop mode and then you get 50+ 15MP raw images in buffer depth (@5-point-something fps only though).

You don't get it ... I'm a DX shooter with DX lenses. I have a 17-55, not a 24-70 and I don't want a larger, heavier, more expensive 24-70. I have a 70-200 VR-I not a VR-II and I don't want to pay the premium to upgrade like I would if I went FX. I have a 50 f/1.8 that suits me just fine ... I don't want to spend the money on an 85 f/1.8 that will be too long anyway since Nikon does not make a 75 f/1.8. I don't want to spend $3K on an FX body only to use it as a DX body that should cost me around $1800.

I have built a DX kit designed to do pro-level work. I need and want a pro-level DX body to go with it. Nikon indicated pretty hard with the D300 that a pro-level DX body was something they were supporting ... hmmm ... that support has dried up and left shooters like me hanging.

Feb 22, 2013 at 03:42 AM
svopen
• •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Official: Nikon Announces 24MP D7100 DSLR Camera

Andre Labonte wrote:
You don't get it ... I'm a DX shooter with DX lenses. I have a 17-55, not a 24-70 and I don't want a larger, heavier, more expensive 24-70. I have a 70-200 VR-I not a VR-II and I don't want to pay the premium to upgrade like I would if I went FX. I have a 50 f/1.8 that suits me just fine ... I don't want to spend the money on an 85 f/1.8 that will be too long anyway since Nikon does not make a 75 f/1.8. I don't want to spend $3K on an FX
...Show more

Exacty! I have the same lenses you do and I have no desire to switch to FX and collect new lenses. I'll wait to see if a D400 is announced later this year. If not, I'll re-evaluate my needs then.

Feb 22, 2013 at 03:57 AM
Tete
• •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Official: Nikon Announces 24MP D7100 DSLR Camera

@kent in SD did you try the flash sync at higher speeds? For example w b800s I can get my 700 to 1/320. Since you demo or tried the d7100 can you tell me how you could only get your monolights to only 250 sync? I'd like to know. I also would like to know how the AF system was on the D7100 as well. It's easy to say its the same as dXXX but with out trying it on the camera I would be asinine to think its exactly the same from model to model. Considering even firmware can make a significant difference.

I'm not I'm not against or for the D7100. Everyone knows thier needs. Brides blinking is a new one. Im mean if 6fps for 100 frames doesn't cut it then maybe someone needs to get her to the hospital.

iPhone typos and bad grammar, please excuse

Feb 22, 2013 at 04:06 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

JTMeuret
• •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Official: Nikon Announces 24MP D7100 DSLR Camera

ucphotog wrote:
Here's my theory about whether there will be a D400. Look at the price sheet. There's a *huge* price gap between the D7100 at $1200 and the D600 at $2200. The D300s sits there now, but it's obviously very long in the tooth. I suspect that they will price *something* to be $1600 to replace the D300s. I can't imagine them coming out with a new FX camera this year after last year, so it must be a DX camera.

Or a really expensive CX.

I agree with everything you said. There has to be a D400 coming out. I've always thought, uh, D200, D300, D400,... Then a few years later (or less, maybe) a D500. Makes sense. Although, the D600 halts that numbering pattten. Gets in the way. Seems like the D600, D700, D800 group should have been numbered different. Who knows. The D7100 name totally makes sense. What numbers will they use after a D500, for that group? 'D510'. Uh, no. Looks like a planned "end for the line" after D500 to me.

Feb 22, 2013 at 07:17 AM
Tete
• •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Official: Nikon Announces 24MP D7100 DSLR Camera

in japanese culture they often avoid the number 4 in model numbers etc.. its considered unlucky, obviously they still named the D4 tho.

---The word "four" in Chinese is "suh". "Suh" also means "death". That's why it's considered a bad/unlucky number to Asians and others.---

I don't know if it matters, but its a conversation peice nevertheless. maybe D500?

Feb 22, 2013 at 09:39 AM
ct8282
• • • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Official: Nikon Announces 24MP D7100 DSLR Camera

I haven't read the entire thread but based on what I know about the D7100 spec wise I would say this is one the best cameras Nikon have ever announced. In my mind it may even be better than the D800. I've gone as far as to consider trading my D800 in for this camera but I think I'll miss the superior build quality and larger form of the D800.

I had the D7000 before buying the D800 and I absolutely loved it. The D7100 cranks it up another level, and the lack of AA filter is awesome. My guess is the IQ will be sublime with super crisp sharp images as the D700 produced wonderful sharp and stunning IQ already.

I will certainly need to get my hands on the D7100 to see how she handles, and if the build quality is on par with the D300/s as they're claiming I think at 1100 it will be a steal when compared to the D800e.

Feb 22, 2013 at 09:48 AM
VinnieJ
• • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · Official: Nikon Announces 24MP D7100 DSLR Camera

ct8282 wrote:
I haven't read the entire thread but based on what I know about the D7100 spec wise I would say this is one the best cameras Nikon have ever announced. In my mind it may even be better than the D800. I've gone as far as to consider trading my D800 in for this camera but I think I'll miss the superior build quality and larger form of the D800.

I had the D7000 before buying the D800 and I absolutely loved it. The D7100 cranks it up another level, and the lack of AA filter is awesome. My guess is
...Show more

Seems like it would be a great compliment to the D800 for those who carry two bodies. I had a D800e and D600 but recently sold the D600. I will probably pick this one up once available.

Feb 22, 2013 at 10:48 AM
JTMeuret
• •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · Official: Nikon Announces 24MP D7100 DSLR Camera

Omitted Optical Low Pass Filter - The D7100 is designed without the optical low-pass filter which will allow the sensor to capture images with exceptional sharpness and detail.

Above note: From B&H site.
---
Sweet! I'm way overdue for an upgrade. Hell, I'm still using my D80. Not complaining though...it's been a great camera and still is! I really was sort of waiting for a D400. June maybe? I could always just get a D300s or a D7000, which would be great. But, this D7100 seems very tempting for the price. Wow. Specs seem great!

Feb 23, 2013 at 01:29 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · Official: Nikon Announces 24MP D7100 DSLR Camera

JTMeuret wrote:
Omitted Optical Low Pass Filter - The D7100 is designed without the optical low-pass filter which will allow the sensor to capture images with exceptional sharpness and detail.

Above note: From B&H site.
---
Sweet! I'm way overdue for an upgrade. Hell, I'm still using my D80. Not complaining though...it's been a great camera and still is! I really was sort of waiting for a D400. June maybe? I could always just get a D300s or a D7000, which would be great. But, this D7100 seems very tempting for the price. Wow. Specs seem great!

The D7100 would be a great upgrade from the D80 ... and unless you are doing lots of action or really want the ergonomics of the larger body (and are willing to deal with the extra size and weight) it makes sense to get the D7100 ... it's what I would get as a backup body.

But, for me, I'm waiting for the D400 as the D7100 does not buy me much over the D300 except more MP which I don't need (or want).

Feb 24, 2013 at 02:07 AM
hlavo
• •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · Official: Nikon Announces 24MP D7100 DSLR Camera

The D300 I shot with for years had the AF-on button in just the right place.....I could shout entire football or baseboall games without my thumb getting tired from using it. When I switched to the D7000 I noticed my thumb started to hurt within an hour. The button is just too close to the side of the grip....so the thumb is cramped into an unusual position.

Oh how I pine for the ergonomics of the D300 to be brought back at an affordable price.

Feb 24, 2013 at 03:21 AM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · Official: Nikon Announces 24MP D7100 DSLR Camera

hlavo wrote:
The D300 I shot with for years had the AF-on button in just the right place.....I could shout entire football or baseboall games without my thumb getting tired from using it. When I switched to the D7000 I noticed my thumb started to hurt within an hour. The button is just too close to the side of the grip....so the thumb is cramped into an unusual position.

Oh how I pine for the ergonomics of the D300 to be brought back at an affordable price.

Couldn't you just assign the AF-on button to the little button on the front of the camera?

Feb 24, 2013 at 07:20 AM
prashant
• •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · Official: Nikon Announces 24MP D7100 DSLR Camera

what is 1.3x crop mode? So this is an APS camera which then let's you further go to 1.5x1.3 or is it 1.3x Sorry, did not find any info.

Feb 24, 2013 at 03:31 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · Official: Nikon Announces 24MP D7100 DSLR Camera

It's no different from any other crop mode. It's an APS-C sized sensor, but it just lets you perform an in-camera crop as well.

Basically, you have a 1.5x crop for the sensor, and the built-in function will let you knock it down further (an additional 1.3x) to a total of 2x crop. The D2x offered that as well.

Feb 24, 2013 at 03:38 PM
1       2       3      
       5       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password