Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Joshua Tree NP at night

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Joshua Tree NP at night

Last weekend, I was experimenting with long exposure night photography. I captured some images at 2 and 3 minute exposure. The moon was beautiful but messed things up for me making the sky a little bright. In a couple months, I want to try again with a new moon and longer exposures using the milky way to balance the composition.
The first was at "Arch Rock" and the second was at "Skull Rock". - Fred

Feb 20, 2013 at 10:14 PM
dsjtecserv
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Joshua Tree NP at night

I'm thinking that "Skull" and "Arch" are reversed, but regardless I really like both. I don't seen any serious problem with the sky being lightened by the moon, and meanwhile is seems to have cast a very nice light on the rocks themselves.

Dave

Feb 20, 2013 at 10:31 PM
harshaj1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Joshua Tree NP at night

Looks fantastic. I look forward to see milky way as BG especially in #2.
Harsha

Feb 20, 2013 at 10:35 PM
wbrad
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Joshua Tree NP at night

I agree with Dave, the skies in these look great and the lighting is very nice. At 2 and 3 minutes I would have expected to see more star movement in these, even at 17mm, which usually gives the sky a blurred appearance. These look tack sharp.
Nice work, Fred.

Wayne

Feb 20, 2013 at 10:38 PM
AMaji
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Joshua Tree NP at night

Fred,
Very nice. Love the night images, give a different feel to these icons.

Feb 20, 2013 at 11:32 PM
John Richter
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Joshua Tree NP at night

Wonderful shots, Fred. I like the moonlit light you caught in both these. Nicely done indeed.

JBR

Feb 21, 2013 at 12:28 AM
onesickpuppy
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Joshua Tree NP at night

I agree with wbrad....Fred...could you help explain why such little star trails?

Feb 21, 2013 at 12:51 AM
Heinz H
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Joshua Tree NP at night

Very nice. Surprised that the long exposure times didn't cause star trails. Like both of them.

Heinz

Feb 21, 2013 at 03:54 AM
DSC01
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Joshua Tree NP at night

Fred, these are really nice , the focus is fantastic were you able to achieve that with the moon light or were these done on separate nights and focused before dark and then you waited for the stars? Regards, Dean

Feb 21, 2013 at 06:15 AM
teked
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Joshua Tree NP at night

The first is fantastic, Fred.

Cheers,
Ed

Feb 21, 2013 at 09:49 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Joshua Tree NP at night

Love that first one and something I want to do, that is use a full moon to illuminate some Icons. I think this works better on reflective surfaces like you had in the first and less well on less reflective fine detail as in the second image.

Feb 21, 2013 at 10:33 AM
camboman
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Joshua Tree NP at night

I like the first image best - great color!

You were able to resolve a lot of smaller stars - did you use a tracking device?

Feb 21, 2013 at 12:29 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Joshua Tree NP at night

Hey Fred,

You got two really cool star shots here. I like the detail in the stars, but also like how the arch and the Skull are lit up, it looks like you took advantage of the moon to light them up? I think the arch is my favorite.

Jim

Feb 21, 2013 at 12:45 PM
Sheo2859
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Joshua Tree NP at night

Fred super job no. 1 is my Favorite

Steve

Feb 21, 2013 at 12:50 PM
Volker Birke

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Joshua Tree NP at night

Hi Fred,
This is an excellent - admirable - night shot of Arch Rock!
Within a 2 - 3 minutes exposure, stars may still look like points, unless when zooming in one may already see small trails, but the effect also depends on the particular region of the sky one is looking at: the closer a star is to the (north or south) celestial pole the smaller is its trail (compared to other stars in a greater distance). From this position in front of Arch Rock, I recall, one is looking up towards appr. northeast, hence, the pole star should not be so far away...
Anyway, I checked out your excellent evaluation and comparison of the MK III versus the D800 (appreciate a lot that you tackled and emphasized the "noise in shadows" issue, very valuable!, letting me ponder - very seriously - whether I should switch from Canon to Nikon or not sooner or later... ) - how about your experience employing the MK III side by side with the D800 and D800E regarding star trails (long exposures during night)? Which of them perform better regarding noise? Does the D800E apply maybe (more) moiré to star trails rather than the D800?
Volker
p.s. if you like check out my shots of Arch Rock and the adjacent rocks taken with the old 5D around 2,5 years ago (I like the view from a slightly different angle as well because there the rock resembles a skull):
http://www.artlimited.net/image/en/345439
http://www.artlimited.net/image/en/320917

Feb 21, 2013 at 01:23 PM
Bjadelberg
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Joshua Tree NP at night

Epic! Really love the first shot well done sir!

Feb 21, 2013 at 01:35 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Joshua Tree NP at night

dsjtecserv wrote:
I'm thinking that "Skull" and "Arch" are reversed, but regardless I really like both. I don't seen any serious problem with the sky being lightened by the moon, and meanwhile is seems to have cast a very nice light on the rocks themselves.

Dave

Sorry for the mix up. Yes, the names were obviously inverted. The images speak for themselves!
You are right, I was been a little harsh on the moon light. It actually helped me a lot illumination the foreground.
Thanks for your comment!
Fred

Feb 21, 2013 at 06:26 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Joshua Tree NP at night

wbrad wrote:
I agree with Dave, the skies in these look great and the lighting is very nice. At 2 and 3 minutes I would have expected to see more star movement in these, even at 17mm, which usually gives the sky a blurred appearance. These look tack sharp.
Nice work, Fred.

Wayne

Hi Wayne,
You are correct. Even 20 seconds would show a little trailing. I took 2 separate shots using the same exposure but tracking the stars in one of them. This seems to work well with simple foregrounds.
Fred

Feb 21, 2013 at 06:34 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Joshua Tree NP at night

Fred these are wonderful, especially that 1st one. Very clean files.

Feb 21, 2013 at 06:51 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Joshua Tree NP at night

AMaji wrote:
Fred,
Very nice. Love the night images, give a different feel to these icons.

Thank you. This was my first time in JT and I loved the place. The best part is that I can get there in 2 hours!
The night sky is absolutely beautiful. I can't wait to go back with a new moon.
Fred

Feb 21, 2013 at 11:07 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.