Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · World Press Photo Award Winners

canerino
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · World Press Photo Award Winners

Some truly exceptional images in this collection (content, composition, timing, etc). I'm particularly in awe of some of the photo essays:

http://www.worldpressphoto.org/awards/2013

Feb 20, 2013 at 11:21 PM
keithdunlop
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · World Press Photo Award Winners

Great images as always. My Haiti work was submitted in 2011, but I lost out to Damon Winter -- nothing like living where a natural disaster happens for instant access.

You might also be interested in the discussion about the extent of post-processing of the winning images: https://nppa.org/node/35533

Feb 20, 2013 at 11:59 PM
joelconner
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · World Press Photo Award Winners

I was amazed at the level of editing in these photos when I first saw them. I tend to associate press photos with minimal adjustments.

Edit...just saw the link to that article. interesting read.

Feb 21, 2013 at 12:31 AM
Josh Evilsizor
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · World Press Photo Award Winners

I'm fine with the editing as long as there's nothing "physically" changed about the scene... like adding smoke, removing people, etc... I don't see anything in the side by side that was posted in the article to be upset about.

Feb 21, 2013 at 03:47 AM
keithdunlop
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · World Press Photo Award Winners

One interesting exercise I'm currently doing is examining the shots in from the excellent book "Magnum Contact Sheets", and comparing some of the iconic images from the past few decades to the recent World Press Photo and Pulitzer winners. There's a subtle, but perceptible, level of "improvement" to the images.

Feb 21, 2013 at 04:13 AM
ckhagen
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · World Press Photo Award Winners

Maybe I'm crazy, but I like the edit on the original version way better. I get where he was trying to take it in the winning image, I just like the other better.

Feb 21, 2013 at 04:47 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · World Press Photo Award Winners

Josh Evilsizor wrote:
I'm fine with the editing as long as there's nothing "physically" changed about the scene... like adding smoke, removing people, etc... I don't see anything in the side by side that was posted in the article to be upset about.

I agree with this. The actual capture of the winning photo is incredible.

Be sure to check out the rest of the winners in this contest. There are so many elements in the photos that we should be striving to capture in our own coverage of a wedding day.

Feb 21, 2013 at 01:29 PM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · World Press Photo Award Winners

keithdunlop wrote:
One interesting exercise I'm currently doing is examining the shots in from the excellent book "Magnum Contact Sheets", and comparing some of the iconic images from the past few decades to the recent World Press Photo and Pulitzer winners. There's a subtle, but perceptible, level of "improvement" to the images.

This is really interesting Keith. I'd love it if you would post some examples from your studies.

Feb 21, 2013 at 01:30 PM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · World Press Photo Award Winners

1. Editing is great

2. While I can appreciate the emotional storytelling of war imagery, I think that photos like this are just pure genius: http://www.worldpressphoto.org/awards/2013/sports-action/yongzhi-chu?gallery=6096

Feb 21, 2013 at 03:04 PM
Ghost
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · World Press Photo Award Winners

I just got through them. They are a really phenomenal set of photos.

I read about the amount of Photochopping issue with the winning pix. How far should one be allowed to go?

Feb 21, 2013 at 04:48 PM
Jeff Simpson
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · World Press Photo Award Winners

"This article as does just about any article that bemoans digital enhancement, shows a basic ignorance of the history of photography. Most B+W news photos from days gone by had darkroom jiggery-pokery applied to them in exactly the same way.
Photography has always recorded reality via the filter of the photographer's vision and always will. The specific techniques of how things are done may change, but photographers usually try to make a shot look good.

Warming filters, using the wrong film, using a film with certain characteristics, fill -in flash, dodging and burning in the darkroom is no different from anything shown above and the biggest manipulation of all, using B+W is never objected to by those who dislike altered images."

Feb 21, 2013 at 05:18 PM
Brian Virts
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · World Press Photo Award Winners

Parental Discretion is Advised! Interesting... very "epic" and raw.

Feb 21, 2013 at 08:03 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password