Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · New to light studio equipment with a problem...

melriv

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New to light studio equipment with a problem...

I've taken almost exclusively landscape photos in my patchy amateur photography life and now that I have 2 kids I figured I need to get my brain wrapped around all these flashes/strobes etc. I purchased the cheapy Cowboy Studio light set along with the strobe they have for I think $25. I have a Sigma EF 500 DG flash which I've used a handful of times over the years.

My problem/question here is the strobe I have is not working w/ the PC Sync cord on my 30d. I've used 3 different cables now and still no response. The Cnf states to fire the flash on my 30d so I don't THINK that is the issue. The strobe does fire when my flash fires so I was wondering do I need to really worry about having the PC Sync function at all? I was concerned about simultaneous firing for even lighting but, than again I have no idea what I'm doing or talking about. Thanks for your help!

Feb 20, 2013 at 01:42 PM
Rick Ryan

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New to light studio equipment with a problem...

As long as the slave flash is firing with the on camera flash when the shutter is open, and not due to pre-flash, you should be OK. If you can see the effect of all the flashes in your image you are fine. Otherwise you need to set your camera to not generate pre-flash. I am a Nikon shooter so don't know how that is done with Canon, but I am pretty sure you can do it.
Hope that helps,
Rick

Feb 20, 2013 at 04:16 PM
Josh Evilsizor
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New to light studio equipment with a problem...

there's something weird about using the 500dg off camera and getting it to fire... if I remember I'll take a look at mine when I get home.

Feb 21, 2013 at 06:49 AM
melriv

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New to light studio equipment with a problem...

I was trying to paint a picture of all the stuff I have setup and didn't properly state the issue.

I'm having issues w/ the cheapie Cowboy Studio strobe. I can remote trigger my flash fine w/ the wireless sync I have but not the strobe. Sorry for the confusion!

Feb 21, 2013 at 12:59 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · New to light studio equipment with a problem...

melriv wrote:
...I can remote trigger my flash fine w/ the wireless sync I have but not the strobe.

A couple of clarifying questions:

Are you trying to connect the strobe to the camera with PC cords, or to the wireless triggers?

What wireless triggers are you using between the camera and the Sigma flash?

Feb 23, 2013 at 10:44 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.