Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Wedding in bright sunshine?

sunshinemike

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Wedding in bright sunshine?

Hi all

I usually photograph weddngs in the UK (where it is usually cloudy or raining!), but have just atken a booking for a wedding on a beach in Turkey.

There will be no shaded areas and the sun is likely to be very bright.

Can anyone give any advice regarding photographing in such conditions?

Many thanks

Mike
www.northwestphotography.co.uk

Feb 20, 2013 at 05:10 PM
Mr645
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Wedding in bright sunshine?

Best choice is to let the B&G know how beautiful sunset is. But if they still want a bright sun wedding, I do two things.

1) wear black, so the subjects can look at you in black and try not to squint. Not perfect but it helps.

2) powerful flash. I have some Q flash X units and Norman 400b batteries to I can fill in. Use the dun as a hair or accent light and hit them with enough power to get 1/250th F11. Certainly other lighting systems will work, especially if you have power. I once shot a ceremony on a rooftop of a hotel. We had power to a pair of 1000ws Dynalites set up with 60" umbrellas gave a nice soft fill. But I am guessing on the beach there wont be power.

Feb 20, 2013 at 05:33 PM
Brian Virts
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Wedding in bright sunshine?

Watch the Cliff Mautner shooting in harsh light, good luck!

Feb 20, 2013 at 06:28 PM
ckhagen
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Wedding in bright sunshine?

Mr645 wrote:
Best choice is to let the B&G know how beautiful sunset is. But if they still want a bright sun wedding, I do two things.

Be careful with this...
What happens is the bride and groom schedule the ceremony too close to sunset and then end up in the dark for their photos. I recommend all my couples schedule their ceremony 1.5 hours prior to sunset. It's still bright out, but you're generally way better off with bright light during the ceremony and then soft light for family photos and portraits. Timing is everything in this situation. The worst possible thing I can hear from a bride is "I just sent out my invites, ceremony time is 6pm and sunset is 6:15". She may as well just tell me "you're screwed". lol

Feb 20, 2013 at 06:50 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Wedding in bright sunshine?

Yeah like Candice said I don't want the sun setting during the ceremony, beach or no beach. My suggestion is to use a faster shutter speed and/or stop down and/or use a lower ISO than you might normally and enjoy the blue sky for a change lol...

Feb 20, 2013 at 06:56 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Wedding in bright sunshine?

Just do it. They know what bright sun looks like. Fill flash when close enough, and call it a day. You're there to "document"; not perform miracles. Just make sure your exposure is dead perfect.

Sometimes in these cases, I will "recommend" that it's nice to have some kind of white "flooring", or to do the ceremony under a cabana. The reflection and or diffusion of light gives you natural fill.

Feb 20, 2013 at 07:07 PM
morby
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Wedding in bright sunshine?

Harsh light is not ideal, but if it's a must there are a few things that can help. You'll want to place to sun behind your subject and shoot into a dark background. Here are two examples of that ...

Again, it's not ideal for portraits, but it can work well.

I'm not an expert with beach weddings, but the method above doesn't typically work on a beach, because you usually don't have a dark background. Over the summer I did a beach engagement session and because of a pending storm we ended up having to shoot at 1pm with 30mph winds. It wasn't ideal at all! I did the best I could and liked the results. As long as they aren't looking at the camera you can get away with using harsh light coming in from an angle. Below are two photos from that session that I liked, even though the conditions weren't great. The sun is off to their right in both of these and they were taken around 1pm.

If you have any say in the ceremony time, I agree that a couple of hours prior to sunset would be preferred. For group shots maybe they don't have to be on the beach and you can take them to a more ideal location nearby that has shade, or allows you to shoot with the sun at their back and into a dark background. Sometimes photographers will bring large umbrellas or oversized boards held by assistants over the subjects, which puts them in the shade.

If you end up doing the groups shots after the sun has set you can expose for the scene and use fill flash for the group.

Hopefully that is somewhat helpful!

Edited on Feb 20, 2013 at 08:14 PM · View previous versions

Feb 20, 2013 at 07:54 PM
ckhagen
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Wedding in bright sunshine?

You won't want to put their backs to the sun for every shot (and there generally isn't a dark background out over the water) because you'll just blow out the background and not see the water/beach... which is fine for a few shots, but most couples want to actually see the beach in their photos. Of course you can do the whole strobe/flash thing with their back to the sun. That just looks cheesy unless done really, really well. Bright light during the ceremony is fine. Hopefully the sun isn't positioned directly behind them. I highly advise determining where the sun is coming down and positioning the ceremony (if adjusting the angle is an option) to use that light as optimally as possible while still maintaining the view.

This ceremony is the brightest one I've done because they scheduled it 3hrs prior to sunset. The beach here faces south. The sun, in mid-summer, sets to the southwest.

We went back at sunset for these... (which are actually probably shot slightly after sunset). They are facing west.

Feb 20, 2013 at 08:06 PM
morby
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Wedding in bright sunshine?

ckhagen wrote:
You won't want to put their backs to the sun for every shot (and there generally isn't a dark background out over the water) because you'll just blow out the background and not see the water/beach... which is fine for a few shots, but most couples want to actually see the beach in their photos. Of course you can do the whole strobe/flash thing with their back to the sun. That just looks cheesy unless done really, really well. Bright light during the ceremony is fine. Hopefully the sun isn't positioned directly behind them. I highly advise determining where the
...Show more

Well done!

Feb 20, 2013 at 08:10 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password