Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · 105mm circular polarizer advice.

BoneCounter

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · 105mm circular polarizer advice.

Hi, all. I'm in the market for a polarizer to mount on my Lee Foundation Kit. The 105mm options look pretty limited, but I'm still having trouble finding any substantive reviews. The B+W Kaesemann looks like a good choice for the money--I might end up shooting in conditions where the sealing would be useful. Does anyone have any experience with this filter? Would you spring for the multi-coated version for an additional $140? Any other recommendations? My budget is around $300, but I could probably stretch it a bit if the multi-coated B+W is worth the cost.

Cheers and thanks!

Edited on Feb 20, 2013 at 07:32 PM · View previous versions

Feb 20, 2013 at 03:49 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · 105mm circular polarizer advice.

I have B+W MRC KSM filters in 72mm, 77mm, and 82mm Extra Wide (95mm front). I can't compare them with non-MRC versions, because I wouldn't buy them.

Feb 20, 2013 at 04:02 PM
BoneCounter

p.1 #3 · 105mm circular polarizer advice.

Definitely in favor of the MRC then. Check!

Feb 20, 2013 at 07:32 PM
sparrks
• •
p.1 #4 · 105mm circular polarizer advice.

I use a Heliopan Multi Coated Circular Polarising Filter SLIM MOUNT Excellent piece of kit as good as the B+W.

Feb 21, 2013 at 06:23 PM
Roland W
• • •
p.1 #5 · 105mm circular polarizer advice.

The 105mm polarizers are expensive, and up until reciently, the B+W ones were not even available in a multi coated version. I am a strong believer in multi coated for digital photography, and normally also want a top quality filter.

My first 105mm polarizer was a low cost one from an auction site, and it works pretty well for me. It is still available, and is listed as a multi coated filter. I can confirm that the one I got is indeed multi coated, which you can tell by looking at the intensity of a reflection from its front in comparison to other filters. The brand is Zeikos, and for somthing that costs less than $40, it is a good value. Here is one link to the filter I got:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/105mm-CPL-Circular-Polarizer-Cir-Polarizing-Polar-Lens-Filter-PL-Cir-C-PL-/330874435428?pt=Camera_Filters&hash=item4d09a73764

I have not yet had a need to clean this filter, and that might be a place where it is hard to clean or easily damaged while cleaning. But the results in my images seem good.

I only rarely use this polarizer with other filters on my Lee holder. For almost all of my polarizer needs, I rely on high quality multi coated screw on filters that match my lenses, and are compatable with my individual lens hoods.

Feb 21, 2013 at 06:55 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

BoneCounter

p.1 #6 · 105mm circular polarizer advice.

Thanks for the replies!

The Heliopan slim mounts look pretty nice, sparrks. Do you ever have any trouble rotating it without getting finger prints on it? Not being able to stick a regular lens cap on it seems to cause no issues for you? It does start to get pricey though.

Roland W, I came across the Zeikos a while back and hadn't really given it much thought. The price sure is attractive. I'll definitely take your experiences with it into consideration.

Feb 22, 2013 at 01:36 AM
AmbientMike
• • •
p.1 #7 · 105mm circular polarizer advice.

I bought a 77mm ir filter from China (or was it HK?) Similar price range, works fine. Maybe more of a 650mm instead of 680mm like Hoya, but usually not a problem.

Feb 25, 2013 at 10:50 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · 105mm circular polarizer advice.

AmbientMike wrote:
I bought a 77mm ir filter from China (or was it HK?) Similar price range, works fine. Maybe more of a 650mm instead of 680mm like Hoya, but usually not a problem.

I think that would be "nm", not "mm".

Feb 25, 2013 at 11:38 PM
Mike V
• • •
p.1 #9 · 105mm circular polarizer advice.

Hoya HD polarises as strong as a B+W but only costs one stop.

I never use my B+W polas any more.

Feb 26, 2013 at 12:35 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password