Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · D3s slow preview

southwoodlaker
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D3s slow preview

Hi, I just switched to Nikon recently from Canon (5d III and 1D III) and picked up a D3s. D3s worked great but one thing bothered me a lot is that the image preview on LCD is way too slow. Sometime you have to wait for couple or more second. I always got instant response with my 5DIII which is a 22MP camera vs 12MP of D3s. Can something help me on this? What is the reason and are there any ways to improve this? The slow image preview is unbearable for wedding and event shootings. Thanks.

Feb 20, 2013 at 03:28 PM
surreal612
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D3s slow preview

what is the read speed on your CF card?

Feb 20, 2013 at 04:09 PM
ACNYPhoto
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D3s slow preview

surreal612 wrote:
what is the read speed on your CF card?

This is usually the problem, I've seen it with different cards...

Feb 20, 2013 at 04:39 PM
southwoodlaker
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D3s slow preview

I used 400X Transcend 32 GB and 16 GB CF cards.

Feb 20, 2013 at 04:39 PM
surreal612
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D3s slow preview

I would try a different brand for now (Sandisk or Lexar) and see if it is still slow for you. Here is a good reference

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/camera_wb_multi_page.asp?cid=6007-12472

Feb 20, 2013 at 05:43 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D3s slow preview

My 133x cards in my 12mp D300 don't take 1-2 seconds to come up, so it's not the read speed of those cards.

However, I did have one Transcend card that I eventually diagnosed as bad. It seemed to hold data fine, but it was far slower than my other cards of the same brand/speed/size, and would cause my image review to be slow coming up, slow flipping from image to image, etc. I don't know how many cards you have tried - if it's more than a couple, that's probably not the cause, just thought I'd throw it out there.

Feb 20, 2013 at 05:49 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

southwoodlaker
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D3s slow preview

Thank you all for the input. I'll try some other cards and I'll report what I find. Hope that is just the card issue.

Feb 20, 2013 at 05:57 PM
threepairsphot

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D3s slow preview

This may be a silly question, but do you have image review in the playback menu set to on or off?
When I have been in a position where I need immediate feedback on my photos I have it set to on and the photos are ready to look at by the time I get my eye off the viewfinder. I use 133 Sandisk, Lexar and Kingston cards.

Feb 20, 2013 at 06:26 PM
clouseau

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D3s slow preview

I never expirienced any lag , i use Sandisk extreme pro , there just there , always.

Mvh Clouseau

Feb 20, 2013 at 08:04 PM
mfletch
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D3s slow preview

southwoodlaker wrote:
I used 400X Transcend 32 GB and 16 GB CF cards.

I have a 32gb 400x Transcend, and it is slow to review images in my D700. It writes and clears the buffer quickly, on par with my Sandisk ExtremePro cards. But it's always been slow to initiate image review.

Feb 21, 2013 at 01:20 AM
shaneroper
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · D3s slow preview

I have the same issue on my D3S, it will also freeze sometimes and I have to pull the battery out and put it back in. Not sure what the deal is but it's a pain for a top of the line camera

Feb 21, 2013 at 02:30 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password