Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · RRS Mid-Size or Compact ballhead?

nburwell
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · RRS Mid-Size or Compact ballhead?

I am looking to replace my Manfrotto camera plate and ballhead with a RRS L-bracket, ballhead and Pano Elements kit. The question I have is whether I should go with a mid-sized or compact ballhead. The largest lens that I will have mounted on my 5DII would be the 70-200 f/4 non-IS. My biggest concern is that I would buy the compact ballhead and it would subsequently have trouble supporting my gripped 5DII and 70-200mm lens. Any insight from those who use the compact or mid-sized ballheads would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-Nick

Feb 20, 2013 at 09:31 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · RRS Mid-Size or Compact ballhead?

BH-40 is a sweet spot type of head for someone not venturing into the 300mm or above club. I have 3 of their heads 30*, 40**, 55***. the 40 will support your gear and more with ease. my 30 is swapped out with the 40 on my light TQC-14 legset.
some do not like the paddle type knob but personally i'd like it on my 55 head too.

*got it with my TQC14. used often on table top legs from Kirk as the TQC gets the BH40 about 50% of the time
** used to have it on my Gitzo 2540ex. is now a free agent. see BH30 swap
*** lives on my TVC33

Edited on Feb 23, 2013 at 09:42 AM · View previous versions

Feb 20, 2013 at 09:34 AM
binary visions
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · RRS Mid-Size or Compact ballhead?

I lean towards mid-sized ball heads unless you have a specific traveling tripod/head setup AND another setup. If you get a mid-sized head, you can swap it to some sturdier non-traveling legs. If you get a small head, you're not going to do a lot of good by putting it on heavier legs.

Feb 20, 2013 at 10:07 AM
DLP
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · RRS Mid-Size or Compact ballhead?

Another vote for the BH-40.

Feb 20, 2013 at 10:16 AM
dlabrecque
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · RRS Mid-Size or Compact ballhead?

Under normal conditions it'll hold your biggest setup, but it may struggle if you're taking pictures under more extreme conditions, say high wind loads, or macro work where you're hanging some unbalanced flashes off the front end of your lens. Not that it couldn't do the job in a pinch, but you'd have to clamp it down pretty hard.

Feb 20, 2013 at 10:36 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · RRS Mid-Size or Compact ballhead?

actually the BH40 doesn't require that much effort to lock down. I shoot macro a lot in my work. high wind loads will directly impinge on the camera and lens assy as these are like sails. the legset will have some effect but not all that much to stabilize. yes bigger would be better though.

Feb 20, 2013 at 10:43 AM
Smiert Spionam
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · RRS Mid-Size or Compact ballhead?

BH-40 should be perfect.

Feb 20, 2013 at 12:29 PM
carnac
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · RRS Mid-Size or Compact ballhead?

I have the same body/lens and purchased the RRS BH-30 compact ball head. Tried it out and sent it back and exchanged for the BH-40 mid size. The BH-30 is too small except for very compact tripods. The BH-40 is great for mid-sized tripods and lenses up to around 300 mm (esp f/4 versions).

Feb 20, 2013 at 01:14 PM
mak65
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · RRS Mid-Size or Compact ballhead?

I purchased a BH-40 ballhead w/ B2 ASII clamp (lever) and got it just last week. It replaced my Manfrotto 498RC2 head. I have 1D series cameras and my heaviest lens is the Canon 100-400mm. Combined they are a load.

I fiddled with the drag adjustment until I got the play in the ball just to my liking. Then, I took it out this past weekend to get comfortable with it. With the lens fully extended it took just a few seconds of sliding the lens plate back and forth in the clamp to find a perfect balance of weight and then, I closed the clamp. After which, it took minimal (and I mean very minimal) tightening of the main lock to stop all action. And, unlike the Manfrotto it had no creep. I highly recommend the BH-40.

And, yes, I was skeptical about all the praise I saw others bestow on the BH-40 but now I know they were correct.

Feb 20, 2013 at 10:57 PM
mholdef
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · RRS Mid-Size or Compact ballhead?

From what I hear the BH-30 should be good enough for your setup as they say the BH-30 can hold a body and 70-200 f2.8

I already have a BH-55 and was looking for a travel setup to hold my D800E and 70-200 f4, so in essence identical to what your setup is. I just received the BH-30 and it is an amazing little package and does a great job of holding my kit, even without the RRS collar for the 70-200 f4 which is in preorder status.

If mounting your 70-200 from the footplate from RRS you should be in great shape with the BH-30

The other question is what tripod legs you have.

Mark

Feb 22, 2013 at 02:29 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.