Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · I talked with Sigma regarding the 35 1.4 and the D800..

popinvasion
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · I talked with Sigma regarding the 35 1.4 and the D800..

Basically the tech support team said that the issue is Nikons problem.

That it is a Nikon Firmware issue.

They said that it works absolutely flawless on the center focus point, but that it was not useable on outer points.

They said they had no timeline on when a fix would be available. They did say if I owned one that I could buy the dock and update it myself in the future... More expense.

The end of the conversation I was basically told to hold off on buying one until the issue was resolved.

They are aware of it, they do know its a problem, they do not seem concerned, they do not have anyone working on it, they believe it to be an issue with Nikon.

Bummer. But I do appreciate the prompt and honest response. Will Nikon update the firmware? Is Nikon the problem?

Feb 20, 2013 at 05:42 AM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · I talked with Sigma regarding the 35 1.4 and the D800..

The question is whether Sigma's lens issue is a major concern to Nikon? I think not.

Feb 20, 2013 at 06:00 AM
popinvasion
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · I talked with Sigma regarding the 35 1.4 and the D800..

James R wrote:
The question is whether Sigma's lens issue is a major concern to Nikon? I think not.

Exactly right. Looks like a wonderful lens. I sure want one, but not until it works properly with a D800. Will that ever happen? I guess maybe, or maybe not. I don't see it happening soon however.

Feb 20, 2013 at 06:02 AM
michaelwatkins
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · I talked with Sigma regarding the 35 1.4 and the D800..

The response you received from Sigma seems to run counter to the experience detailed in this thread:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1189782

Could it possibly be one tech support rep or office doesn't know what the other is up to?

Feb 20, 2013 at 06:24 AM
popinvasion
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · I talked with Sigma regarding the 35 1.4 and the D800..

michaelwatkins wrote:
The response you received from Sigma seems to run counter to the experience detailed in this thread:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1189782

Could it possibly be one tech support rep or office doesn't know what the other is up to?

The guy I spoke with, was quite confident with what he was telling me. I called Sigma direct. He was a tech manager.

I believe what he was saying. However as you noted, its a bit puzzling. But lastly, what is the solution? Seems like none.

Feb 20, 2013 at 06:27 AM
zacheryjensen

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · I talked with Sigma regarding the 35 1.4 and the D800..

Sounds like either A) this tech doesn't actually know what you're referring to and thinks you are having the "left focus point" issue. or B) This tech is just making shit up to get you off the phone over an issue he has no answers for.

A third party lens maker doesn't get to go blaming the first party for "firmware issues" when the cameras work with a hundred other lenses. It's a completely illegitimate response. Since others have had friendlier responses, including technicians claiming a fix is already produced(!), I think that this is an erroneous response.

The advice is probably sound, wait until a fix is confirmed, but honestly, I will buy this lens with a domestic warranty even if the problem persists. It's just that good. I can use focus and recompose fairly effectively on all but the closest shots and those are almost guaranteed to be still subjects in which case I can simply use the live view AF which has no problems.

Ultimately, I am certain this is a software problem that Sigma will fix. Assumedly, there are more variables in the D800's behavior that they were unaware of when developing their newer reprogrammable lens controller and simply need to account for it. I'm also confident that they won't REQUIRE you to buy the dock to update the firmware, but, maybe you will want it anyway especially if you plan to buy the 120-300/2.8 which benefits more from its features.

At any rate, the only way we'll know is by waiting. What I'm most interested in now is the truth behind whether or not anyone's D800 + Sigma 35 combo actually works. Some people say they have it working fine. It would be nice to know serial number (or ranges) of both items and whether any fine tuning was needed. It would also be great to hear how they tested because AF testing on shallow DOF lenses is often performed incorrectly with the image plane not in parallel to the test target, allowing for the natural variability of the AF system to produce results that seem like AF failure but are not. Perhaps the people who think things are working are shooting in such a way that masks the problem, or they are just blind

I bought one of these lenses and returned it due to this problem because I bought an import. If it was a domestic warrantied version, I would've just kept it anyway because it is just that good.

Feb 20, 2013 at 09:30 AM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · I talked with Sigma regarding the 35 1.4 and the D800..

James R wrote:

In a way, it IS Nikon's problem. Reading things like this, the D800's LH-AF problems, the D600's oil on the sensor problems, etc., make me want to buy a used D3s if I ever upgrade from my two D700.

But I think Nikon will likely not see it that way, and just tell us that we should buy their s-l-o-w to focus 35mm f/1.4.

Feb 20, 2013 at 01:15 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · I talked with Sigma regarding the 35 1.4 and the D800..

Not seeing ANY problems with my D800 and the Sigma A 35 f1.4
Perhaps many of the complaints stem from lack of experience with
shallow DOF & AF'ing in less than ideal light. Mine kicks ass.

Feb 20, 2013 at 01:21 PM
Guari
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · I talked with Sigma regarding the 35 1.4 and the D800..

Well, FWIW...

I have a D800 and the sigma 35. I agree with the moneky's assesment. The sigma + D800 kicks ass for sure.

I had to send it in because it was outside -20 microadjust on my wife's D600 while being at -19 on my D800.

I sent it in and was told that needed software was being developed for it at Sigma Japan. Three weeks later I got my lens, supposedly software updated, and it is now within spec for both our cameras. It focuses perfectly in all focus points.

So either the guy you spoke with is full of bs and is not up to speed or I was lied by Sigma UK.. Funny thing is the lens works beautiful on my D800..

Also, I find it hard to believe that Sigma, being a 3rd party lens producer would play a "It's not my fault but rather Nikon's" card. It's bad for their business.

Anyhow, your option would be to get a lesser optically performing Nikkor 35 1.4G for twice the price...

Feb 20, 2013 at 01:50 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · I talked with Sigma regarding the 35 1.4 and the D800..

Right on, Gustavo!

Feb 20, 2013 at 02:10 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Cagey75

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · I talked with Sigma regarding the 35 1.4 and the D800..

A rep fromSigma told you to hold off on buying one of their lenses??

I call BS here ...

My 35mm works well with all AF points on my D800E.

Feb 20, 2013 at 04:18 PM
popinvasion
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · I talked with Sigma regarding the 35 1.4 and the D800..

No bs. Sigma USA.

Feb 20, 2013 at 04:49 PM
turbodude
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · I talked with Sigma regarding the 35 1.4 and the D800..

I have a d800 and 35. I am not seeing any issues

Feb 20, 2013 at 06:51 PM
ADCOLE
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · I talked with Sigma regarding the 35 1.4 and the D800..

I had an issue with the left AF points being very soft with the Sigma 35. I can honestly say that this was the only lens I own that displayed this problem on my D800.The AF system die on this lens so I sent it back and got a second copy. Slightly better but very inconsistant. I had to send the D800 in anyway due to oil being on the sensor and they responsed by telling that my body needed a B1 service repair. I should be receiving it by the end of the week so I hope that helps. On a better note, the Sigma works like a champ on my D4.

Feb 20, 2013 at 08:42 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · I talked with Sigma regarding the 35 1.4 and the D800..

On a better note, the Sigma works like a champ on my D4.
Good to hear! Hard to blame the lens when your body had issues, eh?!

Feb 20, 2013 at 09:47 PM
VinnieJ
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · I talked with Sigma regarding the 35 1.4 and the D800..

Sounds like a crappy Sigma rep is to blame.

Feb 20, 2013 at 10:24 PM
popinvasion
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · I talked with Sigma regarding the 35 1.4 and the D800..

I hope its not true. Honestly. Besides the 70-200vr2, the 35 sigma is on my lens lust list.

Feb 21, 2013 at 01:19 AM
zacheryjensen

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · I talked with Sigma regarding the 35 1.4 and the D800..

There is absolutely a real problem with some copies of this lens. I had such a copy. I have tested my D800 for AF issues with 16-35mm range with zero problems. However, with the Sigma, while the center column was perfect at f/1.4 consistently (on tripod, racked focus, using lensalign) I had a progressive backfocus from all AF points outside of center. It was progressively worse as you reached the far edges. It was so bad at the far edges that even with 20 full points of adjustment it still was out of focus there. I actually had a D800 with the famous left focus point issue last Summer and while it was a noticeable problem, it was nowhere near a +20 adjustment, let alone even further. Clearly there is a problem with some of these Sigma lenses.

I'm just hopeful that Sigma will work it out, and perhaps they already have and getting the lenses all updated is the reason they are taking so long to get stock to the US.

Now, I'm completely open to the idea that the problem could be due to some variation on the camera's side. It still can't be considered a problem with the camera when Tokina lenses focus perfectly fine at similar focal lengths with the same focusing test configuration. Sometimes hardware creators change design specs in the middle of a product cycle and the software behaviors are changed to match. It's possible something like that has occurred here and Sigma didn't know until these lenses were in the wild. That's very likely something that could be fixed by an updated firmware in the lens.

Feb 21, 2013 at 09:32 AM
jasenz

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · I talked with Sigma regarding the 35 1.4 and the D800..

Tried 3 different copies of the Sigma 35/1.4 today and unfortunately all of them were soft on the left AF point.

I have the zeiss 21, 35, nikon 45, 85, 70-300 and none of them have an issue with AF left and right.

So i think the plan is to keep trying to find one that works well with my E

Feb 21, 2013 at 11:40 AM
turbodude
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · I talked with Sigma regarding the 35 1.4 and the D800..

two of the lens you mention dont have AF... so id rule those out

Feb 21, 2013 at 04:43 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password