Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Which tripod for a short(er) person?

RogerC11
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Which tripod for a short(er) person?

I am searching for a tripod capable of offering solid support for a 500mm lens. Looking to stay around $500 dollars and am not opposed to using an aluminum vs carbon fiber tripod. The problem is I'm a shorter guy at 5'3" and I have found that most of the heavier duty 3 section tripods are very tall. I previously owned a manfrotto 055cxpro 3 section tripod and found that it was too tall for me to be able to see through the viewfinder when fully extended.

I have been looking at the induro 8m at413 and the gitzo gt4330ls as they seem quite comparable in terms of load capacity and have reasonable prices. I was wondering if these would also be too tall for me when fully extended. If anyone has experience with these tripods I would appreciate the feedback. Preferably something similiar in size/price/quality and without a center column. Thanks!

Feb 20, 2013 at 04:33 AM
Wobble
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Which tripod for a short(er) person?

Consider FEISOL, tripod and ball head for $499

FEISOL

Feb 20, 2013 at 04:44 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Which tripod for a short(er) person?

The GT4330LS is a strong tripod with good stability. If you don't mind using a ALU tripod. It doesn't matter if they are a bit taller than you. You don't have to fully extend the legs. And then it will be even more stable. It also very much depends on what head you will use on the tripod. I would recommend a full Gimbal like the Wimberley II or similar. It's a lot better than a normal ballhead.
Feisol tripods are rather good also. But I would not use a Feisol ballhead for your lens

Edited on Feb 20, 2013 at 04:58 AM · View previous versions

Feb 20, 2013 at 04:56 AM
RogerC11
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Which tripod for a short(er) person?

Wobble wrote:

FEISOL

Uhhmm...for supporting a 500mm?

Feb 20, 2013 at 04:57 AM
RogerC11
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Which tripod for a short(er) person?

Lars, thanks for the recommendation. I would plan on using a gimbal head.

Feb 20, 2013 at 05:00 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Which tripod for a short(er) person?

When adding a Gimbal head, lensfoot, plate and lens it will be much taller than a short person. (but that's very good when using it on uneven terrain, rocks or similar ground)
I have two Systematic tripods that are about the same height as this one. With Gimbal head they are taller than I. And I am 182 cm

Feb 20, 2013 at 05:35 AM
Wobble
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Which tripod for a short(er) person?

A buddy of mine has the FEISOL with the old 500mm on a gimbal head and it is rock solid, rated to 22 lbs and the new 500 is only 7 lbs. Your call, but buy the best you can get for the $$ so you do not have to continually upgrade tripods. Remember, a good tripod helps control the wobble...

Feb 20, 2013 at 05:39 AM
RogerC11
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Which tripod for a short(er) person?

Wobble wrote:
A buddy of mine has the FEISOL with the old 500mm on a gimbal head and it is rock solid, rated to 22 lbs and the new 500 is only 7 lbs. Your call, but buy the best you can get for the $$ so you do not have to continually upgrade tripods. Remember, a good tripod helps control the wobble...

I did that already and regret it. This is the reason why I would like to go with Gitzo this time around and keep the other one I have for travel use. I currently don't have any big whites but hoping to pick one up (500mm mki) by next year. Choosing the right support now will benefit me now as well as later.

Feb 20, 2013 at 05:47 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Which tripod for a short(er) person?

Wobble wrote:

But what Feisol tripod and head are you talking about They have many different. And very few will be good for this lens

Feb 20, 2013 at 05:49 AM
Wobble
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Which tripod for a short(er) person?

He has the Classic Tripod CT-3301 Rapid which is rated for 19.2 lbs. I was trying to stay within his $500 budget and get both a tripod and ball head that would handle the weight.

I am quite sure that your suggestion of the GT4330LS is a very good one given that it is rated at nearly 40 lbs. There are always trade offs like twice the load capacity at 3 times the weight.

I, as he should, value your opinions.

Feb 20, 2013 at 06:08 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

RogerC11
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Which tripod for a short(er) person?

Wobble wrote:
He has the Classic Tripod CT-3301 Rapid which is rated for 19.2 lbs. I was trying to stay within his $500 budget and get both a tripod and ball head that would handle the weight.

I am quite sure that your suggestion of the GT4330LS is a very good one given that it is rated at nearly 40 lbs. There are always trade offs like twice the load capacity at 3 times the weight.

I was alotting the $500 for legs only as I expect to be using a gimbal head. There is just no way I would put a 500mm lens and camera body onto one of those traveler style tripods no matter what the rating. Went that route once, not again. I want rock solid stability even if it comes at the cost of weight as I dont plan on moving around a lot with a large lens.

Feb 20, 2013 at 06:18 AM
philber
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Which tripod for a short(er) person?

Roger, I own a tripod that extends a full 30cm higher than I reach, the Gitzo 3542XLS. Why? Because on a slope, one leg gets extended more than the others, and, if you want to keep a full-height tripod in such conditions, and slopes often need tall tripods to avoid unwanted foreground, a tripod taller than you is the way to do it.
And most of the time, I just extend one section only, or two sections, depending on the shot I want to take.
There is of course a weight penalty in so doing, but you indicate that aluminium is OK, so that does not seem a primary concern, but, conversely, a rigidity and stability gain, and a time-and-motion savings when you don't deploy the last, thinnest, section.
So choose the "right" tripod, and don't mind the extra height. If anything, choose one where not extending the last section gives you exactly the right height, which will make your life comfortable in most cases.
Hope this helps

Feb 20, 2013 at 06:32 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Which tripod for a short(er) person?

Wobble wrote:

IMO the CT 3301 is not a very stable tripod for a big lens like the 500. It's not about what weight rating the tripod have. Every small travel tripod, or about every Feisol tripod they make have a higher weight rating than the weight of the 500 lens. And they are not stable with that lens.
I have the Feisol CT 3441 S and it's rated for 22lbs. More than the Feisol you recommend. And no way it's stable enough for a 500 lens. It's not even close
The absolutely minimum would be a series 3 from Gitzo. Or similar from another brand

Feb 20, 2013 at 01:09 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Which tripod for a short(er) person?

tis better to have and not need then need and not have

Feb 20, 2013 at 01:33 PM
sperraglia
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Which tripod for a short(er) person?

+1, sometimes those tall legs come in handy. Last year I was on a step ladder in a sunflower field - it was the only time I have ever extended all 3 sections, but boy was I glad to have long tripod legs that day and for shooting on slopes, etc.

philber wrote:
Roger, I own a tripod that extends a full 30cm higher than I reach, the Gitzo 3542XLS. Why? Because on a slope, one leg gets extended more than the others, and, if you want to keep a full-height tripod in such conditions, and slopes often need tall tripods to avoid unwanted foreground, a tripod taller than you is the way to do it.
And most of the time, I just extend one section only, or two sections, depending on the shot I want to take.

Feb 20, 2013 at 01:38 PM
Smiert Spionam
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Which tripod for a short(er) person?

Wobble wrote:

FEISOL

Wobble wrote:

I like Feisol, and own one, but that's not even close to being enough tripod to properly support a 500mm lens on a gimbal.

Gitzo 3-series or above (RRS, too), and you'll be ok. You don't have to fully extend it, but it never hurts to have a little extra leg. Better too much than too little....

Feb 20, 2013 at 01:57 PM
RogerC11
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Which tripod for a short(er) person?

Would the series five offer any significant gain over the 4330ls in terms of stability or is it a wash? Disregarding weight or material.

Feb 20, 2013 at 02:09 PM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Which tripod for a short(er) person?

In their current systematic catalog Gitzo has recommendations for 400 and 600mm lenses. They recommend 4 & 5-series for a 600mm so at least Gitzo think the 4-series would be OK with a 500mm. Having said that I practice overkill with tripods; I'd get the 5-series.

Feb 20, 2013 at 02:54 PM
killersnowman
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Which tripod for a short(er) person?

just dont extend the legs all the way..... thats the easiest thing to do

Feb 21, 2013 at 03:04 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password