Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Can Someone Please Post Some Memory Mate Samples

cmpdesignz2010
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Can Someone Please Post Some Memory Mate Samples

I've been asked if I offer this type of product, but I am unfamiliar with the term. Can those of you who also offer posters please post examples?

Thanks,
CP

Feb 19, 2013 at 11:27 PM
Jeff_Stapleton
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Can Someone Please Post Some Memory Mate Samples

Memory mate back in the day (and still some today) was a matte that held a team 5x7 and had another cutout that an individual print sat. Today, they are typically a 8x10 designed print that has this done via photoshop. Many of the templates that printers use are not the best in terms of design. I know I use Mpix for T&I memory mates, and they look very 90s

Feb 20, 2013 at 12:15 AM
rrwingnut
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Can Someone Please Post Some Memory Mate Samples

YGPM

Feb 20, 2013 at 12:20 AM
Jeff_Stapleton
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Can Someone Please Post Some Memory Mate Samples

http://www.mpix.com/products/sportsproducts/memorymates

Feb 20, 2013 at 12:27 AM
cmpdesignz2010
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Can Someone Please Post Some Memory Mate Samples

Thanks guys!!!

Feb 20, 2013 at 12:33 AM
jmcaverly
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Can Someone Please Post Some Memory Mate Samples

This is one that I did for our local high school. I keep it simple and use a team specific logo if I can. Looking forward to seeing what you can come up with.

Jeff

Feb 20, 2013 at 12:50 AM
clindsey

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Can Someone Please Post Some Memory Mate Samples

Here are a few that I created-

Basic Memory Mate

Composite team and individuals

Memory mate with action inlay

Feb 20, 2013 at 01:40 AM
clarence3
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Can Someone Please Post Some Memory Mate Samples

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1479&bih=757&q=memory+mates&oq=memory+mates

Feb 20, 2013 at 01:43 AM
cmpdesignz2010
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Can Someone Please Post Some Memory Mate Samples

They want to avoid cutouts if possible.

Feb 20, 2013 at 01:43 AM
cmpdesignz2010
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Can Someone Please Post Some Memory Mate Samples

clarence3 wrote:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1479&bih=757&q=memory+mates&oq=memory+mates

Most of these are the "cheesy" ones I'm hoping to avoid

Feb 20, 2013 at 08:00 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

clarence3
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Can Someone Please Post Some Memory Mate Samples

cmpdesignz2010 wrote:
Most of these are the "cheesy" ones I'm hoping to avoid

My apologies. But it might be useful to know what parents are used to so you can meet or exceed their expectations.

As a heads up, you're likely to run into some moms that get upset because for the past 11 years they have little Johnny's ("cheesy") Memory Mate hanging on the walls going up the stairs and now for his Senior year it no longer matches all of the others.

Feb 20, 2013 at 01:01 PM
cmpdesignz2010
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Can Someone Please Post Some Memory Mate Samples

clarence3 wrote:
My apologies. But it might be useful to know what parents are used to so you can meet or exceed their expectations.

As a heads up, you're likely to run into some moms that get upset because for the past 11 years they have little Johnny's ("cheesy") Memory Mate hanging on the walls going up the stairs and now for his Senior year it no longer matches all of the others.

. Thanks for the heads up.

Feb 20, 2013 at 01:03 PM
capitalK
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Can Someone Please Post Some Memory Mate Samples

What kind of sick parent would name their child "FIRST NAME LAST NAME"?

Feb 20, 2013 at 02:27 PM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Can Someone Please Post Some Memory Mate Samples

capitalK wrote:
What kind of sick parent would name their child "FIRST NAME LAST NAME"?

Lots. But, I have yet to meet one that named their child, FIRT.

FWIW, I found the examples posted by Clarence to be pretty much the mainstream and ones that parents like.

Feb 20, 2013 at 05:16 PM
clindsey

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Can Someone Please Post Some Memory Mate Samples

P Alesse wrote:
Lots. But, I have yet to meet one that named their child, FIRT.

FWIW, I found the examples posted by Clarence to be pretty much the mainstream and ones that parents like.

:-) I agree memory mates are pretty standard but we've been getting more interest and purchases of the composite style even though we charge more for them...especially with smaller leagues.

CP, with your design skills anything you come up with will be 100x better than what you'll see online and the clients will love it.

Feb 20, 2013 at 05:28 PM
Tom D
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Can Someone Please Post Some Memory Mate Samples

P Alesse wrote:

Only because they haven't been exposed to work like Jeff's and Charles'.

A no brainer...

Feb 20, 2013 at 06:01 PM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Can Someone Please Post Some Memory Mate Samples

Tom D wrote:
Only because they haven't been exposed to work like Jeff's and Charles'.

A no brainer...

Tom, totally agree with one caveat... put it side by side and charge the same price, yes it's a no brainer. However, I feel that work like Jeff's and Charle's and down the road... Chris's should demand more money than the mainstream ones. Demand, yes. Actually receive, no.

When you start doing cutouts and other graphical pieces, whether it involves large amounts of time or not, your expertise, time, and creativity warrants a higher price. However, there is only so much you can charge for a MM. Maybe $20-$25.00 maximum. You can argue all you want that the graphical elements are far superior and that the time involved is more consuming than the regular one. Hell, you can even sprinkle gold chips all over it. The fact still remains that an 8 x 10 is an 8 x 10 and parents still think they are paying more for the size of the paper it's printed on than the time it takes for YOU to create it. Charge a penny more than the price point, even if it's printed on gold, and they'll walk.

When you're putting together a MM as an 8 x 10, look less at the creativity aspect of it and more towards the business aspect. You have to work smart. If the max the market can demand is $25.00 (and even that's pushing it), then it really has to be cookie cutter. Drop in a photo, drop in a name and be done with it. Understand that large photo companies that do MMs by the hundreds or even thousands, do not use photoshop. They are using fulfillment software that use a simple PNG or BMP where the software drops in the photo and allows a text field for a name and team, sometimes even barcoded in. Everything is automated. It has to be. Large leagues need to get their photos back to the league reasonably quickly.

In my opinion, I'd much rather spend the time on graphical pieces for large posters where I can charge as much as $200 per poster. MMs, IMO, need to be cookie cutter. Don't get overly crafty. Not on that. Chris... my suggestion is that if you put together a MM line, then put it together as an entire set for every sport, with two or different types of layouts per sport. If you sell them as a "package", it might be more worthwhile. Also, bear in mind that when it comes to MMs... there is a lot of competition. And the competition is practically giving away the product. My lab actually actually just came up with a MM line that is superb. We are talking like 100s of MMs that they are giving to their clients for FREE. All they are asking is that you use their printing services.

ESPN has marketed a line of products called MyESPN Highlights which include MMs, trader cards, team composites, photo books, magazine covers, all with the ESPN branding. You can't buy the templates as standalone sets. You have to use the product line through the online lab you employ. There is no cost for the template, simply a markup for the print that uses that product whereas you might normall spend $1.20 for an 8 x 10 as a straight print, one that uses the ESPN MM might cost you $2.10.

I love the graphical stuff being shown here. I'm not trying to discount it. I'm just offering how things tend to work with MM from a business standpoint. And with MMs, it's gotta be done quick and easy. Save the time and creativity for the higher ticketed pieces.

Feb 20, 2013 at 07:24 PM
cmpdesignz2010
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Can Someone Please Post Some Memory Mate Samples

Hey, I only plan on slapping a couple of frames on an old design, nothing more. The designs here are very nice, but to time consuming for the end user who inquired.

I'm having a hard time to get people to spend $25. on one template, which is a whole other conversation. I know what you guys charge for posters and I can't believe I get nickel and dimed to death over these things.

Kinda why I just design for myself now.

Feb 20, 2013 at 07:33 PM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Can Someone Please Post Some Memory Mate Samples

cmpdesignz2010 wrote:
Hey, I only plan on slapping a couple of frames on an old design, nothing more. The designs here are very nice, but to time consuming for the end user who inquired.

I'm having a hard time to get people to spend $25. on one template, which is a whole other conversation. I know what you guys charge for posters and I can't believe I get nickel and dimed to death over these things.

Kinda why I just design for myself now.

Yeah, it can be tough. Getting tougher. Plus parents can get their own pictures of their own kids and they're good enough.

Feb 20, 2013 at 07:38 PM
cmpdesignz2010
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Can Someone Please Post Some Memory Mate Samples

Yep. I don't mean to put anyone down, but $25 (when someone orders the 10 template package) doesn't seem like a lot of money to me when you can sell the template over and over again. I mean, even if you bought it at $25. and sold the posters for $65, to 10 different parents, you'd be making a killing.

Sorry, just venting a bit. I know how much you all praise my work, then no one buys anything

I just don't get it. I hear people charge upwards of $100. a poster and parents buy 10 an event. I'd kill for extra money like that!!!

Feb 20, 2013 at 07:48 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password