Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Shooting in the Rain

mgauthierphoto
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Shooting in the Rain

First wedding portrait with an external flash behind the subjects. C+C welcome! What could I have done better on editing? Thanks.

-MG

NIKON D700    50.0 mm f/1.4 lens    50mm    f/1.8    1/160s    2000 ISO    0.0 EV  

Feb 19, 2013 at 07:01 AM
Chris Fawkes
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Shooting in the Rain

Beautiful shot.

Personally I try to get the girls nose in front just because I think it is about her more than him and in most cases a girl has a better profile.

That is not really a rule, just something I do so i say it for consideration.

Feb 19, 2013 at 07:49 AM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Shooting in the Rain

I would prefer a more silhouette type shot with their heads up straight instead of turned to the side. This may prevent a true "kiss" but would make for a better looking shot, IMO. Also, the light seems to be a little intense behind their heads in this picture. I would have zoomed the flash out more for a greater spread and less intensity.

These issues would mean less had the subjects taken up less of the frame. If this was a full body shot (or smaller) this identical setup would have worked better. As is, when you're zoomed that close on the faces of your subject, everything needs to be spot-on for it to really "work".

Feb 19, 2013 at 01:58 PM
DblDrgn
• •
p.1 #4 · Shooting in the Rain

their faces are a bit smushed together. Well her face is smushed. I feel like this shot would be better if you told them to "almost kiss".

also, maybe try putting them off center, mess around with angles and composition. try to make it more unique.

and hey where's the umbrella? hahaha joking.

Feb 19, 2013 at 03:49 PM
kwhaley29
• •
p.1 #5 · Shooting in the Rain

Nice first attempt. As others have said there are ways to improve but you're clearly off to a good start. I really like the one that you have as the banner on your FB page!

Feb 19, 2013 at 05:05 PM
roland hale
• •
p.1 #6 · Shooting in the Rain

Good start definitely. The light is a little intense and a bit distracting in the space between their necks/chest and the back of her hair.

Feb 19, 2013 at 06:34 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

TTLKurtis
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Shooting in the Rain

This sort of light feels really unnatural. Have you considered moving the light further away, dialed down a bit, and off to a side, like they're being lit by a lamp post or something. Maybe gel the flash for dramatic effect even. Jon mold did an awesome snow shot with OCF recently (similar except he nailed it in every way)

Feb 19, 2013 at 07:28 PM
mgauthierphoto
• •
p.1 #8 · Shooting in the Rain

Wow, thank you all! It means a lot. I'll try and consider all that has been critiqued the next time I go and try to shoot something like this.

Feb 19, 2013 at 08:32 PM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · Shooting in the Rain

I don't have a problem with the quantity of light. I see nothing wrong with it. What I do see is them smashing their faces into one another. A couple of things I have my couples not do: no puckering, and no smash mouthing. Soft slow (barely) kiss if you're going to take a photo of it.

Feb 19, 2013 at 09:45 PM
mgauthierphoto
• •
p.1 #10 · Shooting in the Rain

Apparently, that was their 'light' kiss

I'll be sure to keep a closer eye on that next time though.

Feb 20, 2013 at 02:04 AM
Jeff Simpson
• • •
p.1 #11 · Shooting in the Rain

I think it's a good attempt.. nice job

Feb 20, 2013 at 01:39 PM
johnrg
• • •
p.1 #12 · Shooting in the Rain

I agree it's a nice shot. Just a few minor tweaks (that others have pointed out) would make it stronger.

Feb 20, 2013 at 04:52 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password