Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Who inspires you?

morby
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Who inspires you?

When I began shooting weddings I would look at other photographers websites and try to copy what they did. Let me tell you, that was a horrible idea! It stunted my growth as a photographer and it did a disservice to the couple I was shooting.

I still frequent websites of other photographers, but now I use it for inspiration rather than trying to copy their work. I become inspired by their use of light, the moments they capture, their way of seeing things beyond what a normal person sees. My top 3 inspirations are Parker Pfister, Ben Chrisman and Susan Stripling.

Of those 3 it's hard to choose my favorite, but Susan Stripling might have an edge for me. Here is a link to her favorite images of 2012 that she posted on Facebook. Prepare to be blown away!

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.536573286373140.125248.104854876211652&type=1

Who inspires you?

Feb 19, 2013 at 03:54 AM
Joshua Gull
• •
p.1 #2 · Who inspires you?

No one in particular. Definitely not other photographers because to me it just all became static and made me overly critical of my own work. Most of my inspiration comes from the way music makes me feel. I try to take those feelings and find ways to convey them through my imagery.

Feb 19, 2013 at 04:20 AM
morby
• • •
p.1 #3 · Who inspires you?

Joshua Gull wrote:
No one in particular. Definitely not other photographers because to me it just all became static and made me overly critical of my own work. Most of my inspiration comes from the way music makes me feel. I try to take those feelings and find ways to convey them through my imagery.

Wow! I've never heard of someone that isn't inspired by others in their field (whatever that field may be). For me seeing what other photographers are able to create makes me realize that there is so much out there that I've yet to discover. It actually keeps me going, because I'm constantly reminded that I haven't arrived.

Feb 19, 2013 at 04:30 AM
iShoot
• •
p.1 #4 · Who inspires you?

My clients.

Feb 19, 2013 at 05:10 AM
morby
• • •
p.1 #5 · Who inspires you?

iShoot wrote:
My clients.

Great answer!

Feb 19, 2013 at 05:13 AM
jneilosu
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · Who inspires you?

I'm inspired by Gabe McClintock for all encompassing coverage, Chuck Anerino for BW and documentary stuff, and Sean Flannigan for style inspiration (although admittedly clients play a role there). I look at them maybe once a month each.

I don't look at anyone else on a regular basis. Used to scour the web looking at all kinds of photography. Like the Josh Gull said, it's a waste of your time to spend much time looking at these things. These days I enjoy true "lifestyle" photography viewing more than anything. I've seen enough weddings.

Feb 19, 2013 at 05:31 AM
Joshua Gull
• •
p.1 #7 · Who inspires you?

morby wrote:
Wow! I've never heard of someone that isn't inspired by others in their field (whatever that field may be). For me seeing what other photographers are able to create makes me realize that there is so much out there that I've yet to discover. It actually keeps me going, because I'm constantly reminded that I haven't arrived.

I'd be lying if I said I was never inspired by other photographers but was more speaking to ongoing inspiration. I looked at tons and tons and tons of photographers for a LONG time, years and years, so it was enough to tune into what I really connected with in photography and what I liked/was doing just because I thought I was supposed to. Once I had that realization a little over a year ago I stopped looking at other photographers and looked for inspiration in other places (music) and in other ways (other mediums/art).

Feb 19, 2013 at 05:46 AM
WNStudio
• • •
p.1 #8 · Who inspires you?

FM
All in one place. I like several FM-ers work- if someone posts interesting set I just follow to his www to see more.

Feb 19, 2013 at 09:29 AM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · Who inspires you?

There are a few photographers on here who are absolutely awesome.

Feb 19, 2013 at 01:59 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · Who inspires you?

I don't look at any other wedding photographers' work. If someone posts a bunch of pictures here, I avoid looking at that post.

Feb 19, 2013 at 02:27 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

g-money
• • •
p.1 #11 · Who inspires you?

One who's work I love is Aleksandras Babicius. So consistent. It's like every wedding he does he has perfect lighting. There are many others on here that are outstanding in their own right and I love viewing. Gabe & Sam (wish he still posted) Hassas just to name a few.

I also see where Joshua is coming from. While I love viewing these guys work I also end up with a "Man I suck so hard" feeling hitting right after then ohhh and ahhhs of viewing others work... Kind of like buying that new car. All excited, smells great then you get home and buyers remorse sets in... Uhh.

Greg

Feb 19, 2013 at 02:57 PM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · Who inspires you?

Honestly, the people that inspire me are my family. They are the hardest on me and criticize me the hardest. My wife will be the first to tell me something sucks. She will be the first to say a client is going to hate that it needs to be better. So if I can please her with my work, then I know my clients will be happy. She has only failed me 3 times in 300+ weddings. She said ti was good and the client didn't like it. There have also been times that she said it sucked and the client loved it.

I don't get caught up in what others are doing for a few reasons. I don't really care what they are doing because they are not the ones paying me. My clients are paying me. Now that doesnt mean I dont look at others work. I do look at a lot of peoples work. Not for inspiration or a drive to do better but for another look on how I approach things. I might see a photo someone took that I think is awesome. I will try to replicate it but add my own twist. Not because i want to be cool like them, but because I want to figure out how they did something and then I can use that technique or skill in my own work.

Feb 19, 2013 at 03:07 PM
CMB Photo
• • •
p.1 #13 · Who inspires you?

Rodney Smith

Feb 19, 2013 at 03:25 PM
morby
• • •
p.1 #14 · Who inspires you?

paparazzinick wrote:
Honestly, the people that inspire me are my family. They are the hardest on me and criticize me the hardest. My wife will be the first to tell me something sucks. She will be the first to say a client is going to hate that it needs to be better. So if I can please her with my work, then I know my clients will be happy. She has only failed me 3 times in 300+ weddings. She said ti was good and the client didn't like it. There have also been times that she said it sucked and the
...Show more

This is so true for me as well! My wife has been my greatest critic and I trust almost everything she's says about my photography. She does all of our album design, so she knows my images better than anyone. She'll tell me what's working and what I need to work on. One time when I showed her a blog post and got no reaction. I asked if she liked it and her response was, "your work has become boring." Ouch! It was totally true and she liked the following 5 or 6 posts because I changed things up.

Feb 19, 2013 at 04:01 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #15 · Who inspires you?

Honestly, I get inspired pretty easily. Any place I see creativity of any kind sparks my mind. Currently, the things that are most getting my mind stretching are off-the-wall conceptual advertising photography and design from the 80's

Feb 19, 2013 at 04:19 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #16 · Who inspires you?

A really good sandwich can fill me with a LOT of inspiration.

Feb 19, 2013 at 05:00 PM
Brian Virts
• • •
p.1 #17 · Who inspires you?

mid-fi, vinyl recordings, stereo imaging

I try to give feedback on here and look at others photography on the Internet, I have to admit though that I'm at a point where I think most people can't really do it, and some are incredible. It's with any occupation.

Feb 19, 2013 at 05:04 PM
canerino
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #18 · Who inspires you?

I love this topic. I have started such a topic about once a year for as long as I've been posting here. My responses have somewhat changed over the years. Like you, Morby, I was surprised at the responses that sited that they were not inspired by anyone in the industry. I even viewed them as flippant. I couldnt understand it!

I am starting to understand it now. I think if you look at the people that inspire you, you will see one common theme....their work seems so 'true to themselves'. I think that is what other people can really sense about other's work. I think that is what draws people in. Its sort of like confidence. How does the guy get the hot chick at the end of the bar? Confidence. How does he repulse her? Fake confidence.

I think ultimately we have to stop looking outward and start looking within to find ourselves.

With that said, there is definitely room for inspiration in our field. I think my greatest source of inspiration was Annie Leibovitz's "A Photographer's Life". The volume is really a stray from her HUGE production shoots. APL is an intimate, intense, tender collection of images that she has taken of her own family/friends over the years. THATS what I wanted my family photography to look like. Thats how I wanted it to feel.

I think photographers make a mistake when they see something they like and it inspires them and they run out and do it and try to pass it off as 'true'. What I think ends up happening in this scenario is that 'something new' comes along and they try that, etc, etc. I feel like this sort of thinking really reeks of desperation.

Edited on Feb 19, 2013 at 06:28 PM · View previous versions

Feb 19, 2013 at 05:26 PM
ghdarnell
• • •
p.1 #19 · Who inspires you?

Cheesy answer here. Morby, you inspire me. Not just with your photography, but with the way you balanced being a pastor AND a wedding photographer. It inspires me to see how much of an amazing father and caretaker you are. It inspires me that you have this passion and ability to inspire others.

I feel genuinely lucky that you have taken so much time out of your life to help us get our business off the ground, and have taught us and molded us in all the right ways. Your not only an amazing photographer, but also gifted with the ability to teach.

So thank you.

Feb 19, 2013 at 06:12 PM
morby
• • •
p.1 #20 · Who inspires you?

canerino wrote:
I love this topic. I have started such a topic about once a year for as long as I've been posting here. My responses have somewhat changed over the years. Like you, Morby, I was surprised at the responses that sited that they were not inspired by anyone in the industry. I even viewed them as flippant. I couldnt understand it!

I am starting to understand it now. I think if you look at the people that inspire you, you will see one common theme....their work seems so 'true to themselves'. I think that is what other people can really sense
...Show more

Good stuff! I see that common theme in this thread and I'm starting to understand where everyone is coming from. Inspiration comes in many forms and after a while we come to a point where we need to stop looking to others and start defining who we are and what our own style is. Honestly, I'm not sure I've arrived at a defined style and I don't think I can say, "this is who I am as a photographer." Maybe it's because I'm still in what I'd consider to be the early stages of my business. I'm sure my answer will morph and change as well, but as for now I really look up to a lot of people in the industry and seeing what they create continually blows my mind. I'm still heavily influenced by the ways other photographers use light and composition.

Feb 19, 2013 at 06:41 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password