Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Maintaining the correct white balance ??

PennsyBill
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Maintaining the correct white balance ??

Soccer game starts late in the afternoon and by the start of the 2nd half it's full dark - any tips on how to adjust the white balance to keep up with the fading light and mixed lighting when the stadium lights come on?

Once the lights took over the D3s came thru like a champ - 8000 ISO - I love it.

Feb 19, 2013 at 03:09 AM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · Maintaining the correct white balance ??

I'd just shoot RAW with AWB. It'll get the color right a good chunk of the time, but you can batch correct the shots that aren't quite right. Select 20 or so at a time and click something neutral in those shots to set the WB. That's how I' would do it anyway.

Feb 19, 2013 at 03:12 AM
Chris Noyes
• • •
p.1 #3 · Maintaining the correct white balance ??

You might want to set a custom white balance once the lights take full effect by using a gray card. I mostly just go with AWB since my D700 and D4 do a pretty decent job of getting colors right and the lights just aren't very powerful for the youth fields I frequent.

Feb 19, 2013 at 03:33 AM
Todd
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · Maintaining the correct white balance ??

The expo disc is a great tool. Especially for mixed and "hard to balance" light.

Feb 19, 2013 at 04:54 AM
Graystar

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · Maintaining the correct white balance ??

If you're in the same light as your scene, then set a custom white balance. With Nikons, it's so easy to set a custom WB that I do it all the time. I carry a Robin Myers Digital Gray Card. It's a spectrally neutral plastic card, about 4" x 6", that I keep in my back pocket. When I need to set the WB, I just hold down the WB button for 2 secs, pull out the gray card and hold it directly in front of the lens, angled to catch the light, and press the shutter...done (in constant-light conditions I'll also press AE-L at that time to lock exposure as well...but that's a whole 'nother thread!) Card goes back into the back pocket and I'm ready to shoot.

Since the process takes less than 10 seconds, just do it every 15 -20 minutes. That should keep your WB fairly consistent.

Feb 19, 2013 at 12:03 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password