Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Need help with Quote

jamesmorophoto
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Need help with Quote

Hey guys,

any help would be most appreciated on this.

I have a client that's a very successful web designer that's created sites for NAT GEO, NIXON, DC shoes, Northface, Nike etc. He's an old acquaintance/friend (we used to be neighbors).

He's designing an iphone app and is building a site to advertise it/support it.

I'm still waiting on an image count, but we will shoot 3-4 scenes involving people using a phone/laptop and the app in various settings.

I'm thinking there will be at least 4 images provided, if not more.

he will take care of providing models/assistants/location scouting/travel/accomodations.

The usage would be website and social media. They would be the foundation of the website.

Retouching is requested (composite images w/ people/background masked to separate layers, illustrative retouching techniques a la dave hill, tim tadder etc).

The concept images will be somewhat similar to what you see on square.com, only edgier/more stylized/illustrated.

He needs these processed in a hurry (1-2 weeks or sooner). He wants to be able to start on the website in 2-3 weeks.

The project is a personal venture on his part, funded out of his pocket. But he mentioned the images are important, and "they'll make some sacrifices where needed".

The site is anticipated to get 1 million + hits, and he will do everything he can to make sure I get credit.

I'm new to commercial pricing. So any suggestions would be appreciated.

I am fully capable of providing the quality of work he wants.

You can view some of my projects here:

http://www.behance.net/JamesMoro

Feb 19, 2013 at 02:59 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Need help with Quote

Whatever your day rate is, plus license usage. That may be a one time fee, or limited usage. (time) I think most would keep it simple with a day rate + one-time fee. Other questions would be, will any of this be used in print or additional advertising? However, it sounds like he's pushing for work-for-hire; which basically equates to a bottom line payment. So, just come up with that figure, and a contract to support the route you wish to take.

Feb 19, 2013 at 03:44 AM
Jamesbjenkins
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Need help with Quote

Well, looking at your work from the link you provided, you probably have more than adequate skill for what he's wanting done.

You better do your homework on the licensing part of the equation. That's the tricky part, and where an inexperienced photog will most likely get taken advantage of by industry veterans.

Good luck!

Feb 19, 2013 at 03:57 AM
jamesmorophoto
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Need help with Quote

what would you suggest for coming up with my day rate?

i'm thinking of adding up the hours shoot x my normal hourly wedding rate + hours retouching + retouching hourly rate.

Feb 19, 2013 at 03:57 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Need help with Quote

That's probably just fine. It should put you in a ballpark you're happy with. Then, just decide how you want to handle the licensing. I don't like to worry about it too much, so I just charge a one-time fee based on the initial usage.

Feb 19, 2013 at 06:47 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password