Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Yosemite, Horsetail Fall again. (icon warning)

WAYCOOL
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Yosemite, Horsetail Fall again. (icon warning)

I've shot Horsetail from this angle before but wasn't completely happy with the print. It was less than 6megs after the crop had some ca and a little camera shake. Though these shortcomings were noticed mostly by be I wanted to fix them. So armed with a 5DmkIII I tried again this year. Worked out weather conditions were favorable both days I was there and though there was not much in the way of water flow at least light was on my side.

From day 1 this year Sat. the 16th left from So Cal in the morning drove the the valley floor and headed to the picnic grounds got there about 1 1/2 hours before sunset and a short wait later...

The flood of photographers has increased in the last few years that they now have "event parking" in the road marked off. The number of photographers keeps growing and growing.

Feb 19, 2013 at 12:15 AM
DSC01
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Yosemite, Horsetail Fall again. (icon warning)

Douglas, beautiful shot with a great composition you really did a nice job here. Regards, Dean

Feb 19, 2013 at 12:20 AM
WAYCOOL
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Yosemite, Horsetail Fall again. (icon warning)

Day 2 from the south side drive.

Edited on Feb 19, 2013 at 04:02 AM · View previous versions

Feb 19, 2013 at 03:38 AM
harshaj1
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Yosemite, Horsetail Fall again. (icon warning)

You nailed it.
Harsha

Feb 19, 2013 at 03:39 AM
dswiger
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Yosemite, Horsetail Fall again. (icon warning)

Doug, very nice results!
I have been there a few times & the glut of photographers is a bit much.
I will go again, maybe next year..

Thanks for posting!

Dan

Feb 19, 2013 at 05:41 AM
PeakPhoto
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Yosemite, Horsetail Fall again. (icon warning)

Day 2 is phenomenal, the lighting is superb along with the composition... Excellent job

Andy

Feb 19, 2013 at 05:41 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Yosemite, Horsetail Fall again. (icon warning)

Hey Doug,

Very nice job with both of these. How great you got to go back to sharpen up your shots! I also like you posting a shot from both vantage points to show the difference that just standing a couple of miles away will make.

Jim

Feb 19, 2013 at 06:19 AM
markcapilitan
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Yosemite, Horsetail Fall again. (icon warning)

Great shots, must be a sight to see. Looks lime the park is about to get some more fresh snow! One day i'll get there in winter!

Feb 19, 2013 at 01:27 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Chuck Eklund
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Yosemite, Horsetail Fall again. (icon warning)

Great shots. Nice compositions. You really clarified for me what moving to the south side does for the image. Both are very nice.

Chuck

Feb 19, 2013 at 04:18 PM
AMaji
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Yosemite, Horsetail Fall again. (icon warning)

darn... not so much water this year also... but last year it was a real bummer. Nice work.

Feb 19, 2013 at 05:05 PM
John Richter
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Yosemite, Horsetail Fall again. (icon warning)

Both are wonderful shots, Douglas. I'm glad you persevered. Congratulations!

JBR

Feb 20, 2013 at 02:39 AM
Jim Sanderson
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Yosemite, Horsetail Fall again. (icon warning)

These are Waycool. Specially the second. Headed up next week depending on the weather. Can't say I like the report about the crowds though. Nice captures both

Jim

Feb 20, 2013 at 05:01 AM
David Leask
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Yosemite, Horsetail Fall again. (icon warning)

Superb shots! Well done indeed.
David

Feb 20, 2013 at 01:36 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Yosemite, Horsetail Fall again. (icon warning)

For those going to The Valley to try their hand at photographing Horsetail Fall this weekend, a few other activities of interest to photographers:

Opening this weekend: Yosemite Renaissance 28: A Juried Exhibition of Contemporary Art of Yosemite and the Sierra. Exhibition Saturday, February 23 to Sunday, May 5, 2013 at the Yosemite Museum Gallery, Yosemite National Park. The public is invited to the Awards Reception, this Friday, February 22nd, from 5:30 to 7:30 pm.

Ansel Adams Gallery: Michael Frye's "Yosemite Meditations" exhibit opened on January 6 and continues for one more week through March 2, and features now and classic Yosemite photographs of Michael's.

If you are like me, when you shoot in The Valley you start (very!) early and shoot until the light is gone... and at some point in the middle of the day you need a break! I often wander over to the AAG for a bit at that point - always good photography and other art to see, and often interesting people to meet. And this time of year, when the sun goes down early, there is plenty of time to drop in on events like the Yosemite Renaissance exhibit after the day's photography is finished. (If you make it to the YR28 reception on Friday, wander by and say "hi.")

And good luck to all of you trying to shoot horsetail... or any of the myriad other worthy subjects in The Valley.

Dan

Feb 20, 2013 at 04:22 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Yosemite, Horsetail Fall again. (icon warning)

Love both versions. The park will be packed!
Thanks for sharing,
Fred

Feb 21, 2013 at 11:04 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password