Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · 24 2.8 ai-s vs 28 2.8 ai-s ....much difference?

Michaelparris
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 24 2.8 ai-s vs 28 2.8 ai-s ....much difference?

Besides focal length. I had the 28 but sold and now regret...can't find one. I can find the 24 however. IQ similar? both have CRC correct?

Feb 18, 2013 at 05:09 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 24 2.8 ai-s vs 28 2.8 ai-s ....much difference?

As an aside Michael, there is a Kevin Woodward who posts on the Manual Focus Nikon Glass thread who also lists his home as Roseville, CA. If you don't know him you might want to look him up and do some shooting together.

If you're not familiar with this resource you should be. Bjorn Rorslett's reviews of Nikon lenses are often referred to and are especially useful when it comes to older lenses. I typically check with him as I'm considering a lens purchase. Here's a link to his comments on wide lenses, including both the 24 f/2.8 and 28 f/2.8 manual focus lenses.

Bjorn Rorslett's Review of Wide Nikon Lenses

When you say you can't find a 28 f/2.8 AI-s, I assume you're referring only to the FM Buy and Sell board, since this lens is definitely available on E-Bay and at KEH. KEH tends to charge a bit of a premium for lenses it sells, but then it offers a warranty and return privileges, which can be quite nice.

Bjorn gives the 28 f/2.8 AI-s very high marks and many folks speak about how sharp the lens in at close distances. (Some question sharpness at a distance but I've not found that a problem.) Bjorn rates the 24 f/2.8 AI-s only slightly lower. Personally, I find the 28mm focal length suits my shooting style better, but the 24 f/2.8 AI-s is no slouch and it appears prices for the 24 are a bit lower.

I say often on the MFNG thread that kit building is forever. I also note that seller's remorse can be as painful as buyer's remorse. I slowly built my kit of MF glass and simply don't sell these classic lenses. I've watched prices go up over the years and see no reason to sell now and risk paying a higher price for the same lens in the future. Good luck sorting it out Michael.

Feb 18, 2013 at 05:46 PM
Michaelparris
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 24 2.8 ai-s vs 28 2.8 ai-s ....much difference?

CGrindahl wrote:
As an aside Michael, there is a Kevin Woodward who posts on the Manual Focus Nikon Glass thread who also lists his home as Roseville, CA. If you don't know him you might want to look him up and do some shooting together.

If you're not familiar with this resource you should be. Bjorn Rorslett's reviews of Nikon lenses are often referred to and are especially useful when it comes to older lenses. I typically check with him as I'm considering a lens purchase. Here's a link to his comments on wide lenses, including both the 24 f/2.8 and 28 f/2.8
...Show more

Thanks..I am on Bjorn's site all the time. I have found a few on ebay but they are going for more than I want to pay.....

Feb 18, 2013 at 06:04 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.