Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Netting the White Whale

Phrasikleia
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Netting the White Whale

At long last, this lake decided to show me a little love. I've now lost count of how many times I've visited this location in various seasons for various sunrises, sunsets, and even midday opportunities, and never once did I get any nice color in the sky, despite my best efforts at reading the weather forecasts and satellite images. This time I came to the lake with lower expectations than ever, having long since decided that this place is one of my white whales, and that I should go there to log in some disappointment and get it out the way so that maybe better luck will meet me elsewhere. But this time, I seem to have to have caught this lake with its guard down.

Laghi Di Fusine, Veneto, Italy

Feb 18, 2013 at 09:54 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Netting the White Whale

Hi Phrasikleia,

Well this is really nice looking! I am glad to hear that you were able to capture it with it's guard down, it sure looks nice.

Jim

Feb 18, 2013 at 11:06 PM
allstarimaging
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Netting the White Whale

Hello Phrasikleia,

Great composition on this one and nice detail in the snow. I also took the time to visit your web site. Excellent as well. Thank you for posting.
Jack

Feb 19, 2013 at 12:05 AM
DSC01
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Netting the White Whale

Phrasikleia, very cool shot ,I really like your composition the reflection of the Mt. peaks is just right. Glad you stuck with it or we would have never seen this beautiful image. Regards,
Dean

Feb 19, 2013 at 12:11 AM
harshaj1
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Netting the White Whale

Love the shot.
Harsha

Feb 19, 2013 at 02:02 AM
dsjtecserv
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Netting the White Whale

Great catch. Love the slot of open water, positioned just right to catch the reflection. Very well planned, or very serendipitous!

Dave

Feb 19, 2013 at 02:45 AM
Phrasikleia
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Netting the White Whale

Many thanks for the comments. Jack, thanks also for the comment about my website. I'm actually in the process of migrating it to a new host in the hopes of speeding up the viewing experience, so it may disappear for a few days while the changes propagate.

Dave, I got pretty lucky when I found that last bit of open water. A week earlier the entire lake was frozen and covered in a layer of snow, so the lake just looked like a big, snowy meadow. Then the temperatures rose above freezing for a while, and now the ducks have some room to paddle around again. There is a larger area of open water in the distance, and it was full of ducks. I was very lucky that they didn't decide to inhabit *my* opening instead because that would have spoiled the reflection. Anyway, as with most shots, this one resulted from a happy combination of planning and luck.

Feb 19, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

douter
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Netting the White Whale

Bravo! An excellent capture, I really like the reflection here framed by snow fields.
Douglas

Feb 19, 2013 at 12:47 PM
Vern Dewit
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Netting the White Whale

I love this one! Glad you finally netted this whale!

Feb 20, 2013 at 07:46 PM
helenica
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Netting the White Whale

Your persistance has been rewarded. Great shot!

Feb 20, 2013 at 07:50 PM
microsnook
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Netting the White Whale

Excellent composition and colors...

Feb 20, 2013 at 08:54 PM
Kenneth Kosler
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Netting the White Whale

Splended capture, I truly understand where you are coming from as I want to capture an incredible shot from tunnel view in Yosemite it still eludes me, glad you got yours.

Feb 20, 2013 at 09:01 PM
teked
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Netting the White Whale

Exquisite! Netted and harpooned.

Cheers,
Ed

Feb 21, 2013 at 02:23 PM
nburwell
• • • •