Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Please help with ideas for my next wedding shoot. Night ...

agelessphotog
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Please help with ideas for my next wedding shoot. Night shots OCF

This will be my first wedding shot mostly at night. For the formals I would like to do something new. One shot I was thinking about trying is the umbrella lit up and lighting up the subjects. I am guessing they just hold the umbrella. Set the flash on the ground pointed up at the umbrella?? Any tips of ideas greatly appreciated. I am using a D600, backup D5100, SB700, SB600, 28, 50, 85 1.8g...

Feb 18, 2013 at 08:58 PM
jcolman
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Please help with ideas for my next wedding shoot. Night shots OCF

Here's a few night shot ideas for you.

Feb 18, 2013 at 09:11 PM
sufran

p.1 #3 · Please help with ideas for my next wedding shoot. Night shots OCF

I realize there are a lot of elements that go into making these images so beautiful, rich and clear. I notice, though, that there is a quite a range in the ISO and exposure time for these pictures. Do you have a rule of thumb for deciding on the mix? Or expose for the ambient, dial this in; and then use flash to taste? Thanks.

Also, thanks for posting these images. It was great to be able to see such a variety of night flash images all together in this fashion.

Feb 18, 2013 at 11:32 PM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Please help with ideas for my next wedding shoot. Night shots OCF

Rather than asking for techniques to replicate or copy, I would recommend just taking a friend outside and practicing at night.

Feb 18, 2013 at 11:37 PM
jcolman
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · Please help with ideas for my next wedding shoot. Night shots OCF

I have no "rule of thumb" other than trying to capture some of the ambient in my photos. I use whatever ISO and exposure time makes sense.

Feb 18, 2013 at 11:38 PM
kwhaley29
• •
p.1 #6 · Please help with ideas for my next wedding shoot. Night shots OCF

Beautiful images Jim! 1 and 4 are my favorites. Do you remember what you used for your key light in either image?

Feb 19, 2013 at 03:58 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jcolman
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Please help with ideas for my next wedding shoot. Night shots OCF

kwhaley29 wrote:
Beautiful images Jim! 1 and 4 are my favorites. Do you remember what you used for your key light in either image?

Thank you! I used cheap Sunpack 383 speedlights for the off camera lights. In #1, the light was covered with a white plastic bag and set out in the rain. I used a 580ex for fill light, bounced off a ceiling.

#4 I used two Sunpacks, side by side, firing into a shoot thru umbrella. I used pocketwizards to fire my lights. All settings were in manual mode.

Feb 19, 2013 at 06:48 PM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Please help with ideas for my next wedding shoot. Night shots OCF

Tony Hoffer wrote:
Rather than asking for techniques to replicate or copy, I would recommend just taking a friend outside and practicing at night.

I'll second this.

Feb 19, 2013 at 07:00 PM
kwhaley29
• •
p.1 #9 · Please help with ideas for my next wedding shoot. Night shots OCF

jcolman wrote:
Thank you! I used cheap Sunpack 383 speedlights for the off camera lights. In #1, the light was covered with a white plastic bag and set out in the rain. I used a 580ex for fill light, bounced off a ceiling.

#4 I used two Sunpacks, side by side, firing into a shoot thru umbrella. I used pocketwizards to fire my lights. All settings were in manual mode.

Thank you for sharing. It's always interesting to hear about the various lighting setups that people use. It also helps demonstrates that in the right hands "small" equipment can be used to help produce big results. Again, nicely done!

Feb 19, 2013 at 07:04 PM
agelessphotog
• •
p.1 #10 · Please help with ideas for my next wedding shoot. Night shots OCF

Those photos look amazing. Thank you for posting those. I am going to put some time in practicing some OCF shots in the evening this weekend.

Feb 20, 2013 at 12:40 AM
agelessphotog
• •
p.1 #11 · Please help with ideas for my next wedding shoot. Night shots OCF

Tony Hoffer wrote:

With the exception of the umbrella shot. I was just trying to get general advice. Every shot has been done before. I guess everyone is copying off of every to a point. The reason I asked for help is because I have never shot anything past golden hour. Atleast outside. I am doing formals with the bride by herself and the groom by herself before the ceremony. But they don't want to see each other until the ceremony. So the formal shots of both of them I will have to take in the church and outside the church.

This is taking place in Maryland. Ceremony starts at 6:00 pm. I'm guessing I will be able to take the couples formals together around 6:30 to 7:00. Meaning it will be pretty dark. This is why I posted the gear i'm using.

Feb 20, 2013 at 01:02 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password