Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2013 · FINALLY got out again, and a question.

surfnron
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · FINALLY got out again, and a question.

It was cold for this area this morning, (About 17F when I left the house), but I went out anyway because it was the first time in a long while that I have been off and the light was good on the same day. First I visited a city park with 3 man made lakes. At lake 1 were some Ringneck Ducks, but they were in the shade, so I checked out the other lakes. 2 had no action at all, and 3 had some floaters way out in the middle. However, I did spy an odd shape in a tree on the other side, so I headed that way. It turned out to be a pair of RTHs perched on the same limb snuggled up to each other - I have not encountered 2 on the same branch before - courtship rituals?

A QUESTION: I don't normally shoot small birds unless they come to me, but many of you post great peep shots. How do you get close while out walking, (no blind possible)?

Exif should be attached, and as always C&C appreciated ~ Ron

Edit to add All of these shot with the Canon 1.4 tc Ver III - I wanted to give it a workout to see if it was sharp enough for me. I think I'll keep it...

© surfnron 2012

The RTHs - facing in opposite directions, and one appeared to be grooming the other.

© surfnron 2012

I went back to lake one, but the ducks had moved to the middle of the lake.

© surfnron 2012

I move on to another location, and this peep posed for me, but I couldn't get a clean bg.

© surfnron 2012

Anyone know what this is? I thought squirrel's nest, but I've never seeen one like it.

© surfnron 2012

And pretty Miss Blue allowed a few quick shots, but she would not come quite close eonugh.

Edited on Feb 18, 2013 at 02:34 PM · View previous versions

Feb 18, 2013 at 11:38 AM
douter
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · FINALLY got out again, and a question.

Really like the first one here Ron. I have never seen a "nest" like that one either.
Douglas

Feb 18, 2013 at 11:45 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · FINALLY got out again, and a question.

Good catch on the RTH's, Ron. Looks like someone is whispering sweet nothings to the other one.

Great shot of the first peep. Don't worry about clean backgrounds with peeps, be happy with clean foregrounds.

surfnron wrote:
A QUESTION: I don't normally shoot small birds unless they come to me, but many of you post great peep shots. How do you get close while out walking, (no blind possible)?

You have to learn how to peep better. Slow approach, no eye contact, and good luck. Trouble is, most birds feel safer when there is a branch directly in front of them.

Tony

Feb 18, 2013 at 12:08 PM
Mark Cronin
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · FINALLY got out again, and a question.

Some nice shots Ron, Glad you got out.
I'm curious what the nest is too.
Mark

Feb 18, 2013 at 12:12 PM
canon.eos30d
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · FINALLY got out again, and a question.

Very nice couple RTH and the sparrow, Ron.

- Tam

Feb 18, 2013 at 12:17 PM
Ted ellis
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · FINALLY got out again, and a question.

Very nice Ron, the hawks are great. Prune branches off some of the trees in your back yard.

Ted

Feb 18, 2013 at 12:27 PM
normsmith
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · FINALLY got out again, and a question.

Nice photos Ron. How big was the nest and could you see an entrance? Orioles build pendant-like hanging nests, This one might have been blown into a lop-sided position. I'm in no way certain on this one.Also , why did you rule out a squirrel nest?
Norm

Feb 18, 2013 at 12:35 PM
kentvinyard
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · FINALLY got out again, and a question.

Nice shots Ron. First one looks like she's telling him how the cow ate the cabbage.
How large was that nest? Orioles make a hanging nest but they are not very large.

Feb 18, 2013 at 12:50 PM
Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · FINALLY got out again, and a question.

Great to see you got out in some nice light Ron!!! You came back with some wonderful shots, the hawk shot is super unique

To your small bird question; sometimes watching their habits helps, some of them tend to hit the same perches over and over. See where they go, sneak over and wait. For some small birds of habit, WCS amongst them, that can work quite well.

Tim

Feb 18, 2013 at 12:58 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · FINALLY got out again, and a question.

Very nice set Ron ! Glad you got out. Love the first and third. Every time I try and shoot the wee ones, they are so far in to tree all I see are branches !

Birdie

Feb 18, 2013 at 01:29 PM
tfoltz
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · FINALLY got out again, and a question.

Nice set Ron, as for the wee little birds patience is the key.
Sometimes I stand for hours waiting for one to pop out
for a second and just hope I'm fast enough to catch it

-Tim

Feb 18, 2013 at 01:35 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · FINALLY got out again, and a question.

3 and the last are super Ron. Small birds are always on the move which adds to the challenge. Many that succeed at this simply stand still when they spot a small bird that fluttered off and they frequently come back. I'm not that lucky. My time of stalking may help you:

http://www.shutterfreaks.com/Tips/StalkingWildlife.html

Morris

Feb 18, 2013 at 01:54 PM
penpro
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · FINALLY got out again, and a question.

Beautiful shots Ron.

Feb 18, 2013 at 01:57 PM
marklankton
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · FINALLY got out again, and a question.

It's coming up on romance time for raptors in my part of the world, so I think you have the right idea about the hawks.
Mark

Feb 18, 2013 at 02:07 PM
David Leask
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · FINALLY got out again, and a question.

Fine shots Ron, well done. Other than to say tip-toe softly I have no other advice on how to get close
David

Feb 18, 2013 at 02:09 PM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · FINALLY got out again, and a question.

lovely shots Ron

Feb 18, 2013 at 04:04 PM
BeeBalm
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · FINALLY got out again, and a question.

Ron beautiful set. 2 and 5 for me!

Feb 18, 2013 at 04:08 PM
sdgnh
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · FINALLY got out again, and a question.

Those hawks look so coooold! It is amazing to see how birds adapt and survive those low temps. #1 is awesome. Seeing them so close together and it does look like one is chatting with the other.

You caught some great shots of the "little ones". I agree with the others, sit low and quietly. I swear they can see our eyes before we see them.

Nancy

Feb 18, 2013 at 04:45 PM
CDaescher
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · FINALLY got out again, and a question.

Nice set, Ron. #1 & 3 are my favorites.
Yes, don't move and hope for a bit of luck for a clean shot.
Chris

Feb 18, 2013 at 05:03 PM
ashley138
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · FINALLY got out again, and a question.

These are all great. you got a couple great small bird pics here - especially the white throated sparrow. One thing I would say is that you have to keep trying. I make a lot of attempts on getting songbird shots that don't turn out, and then you just get lucky. ALso, sometimes if there seems to be quite a few birds around, if you stand or sit in one spot and wait for them to get used to you, this can work too.

Feb 18, 2013 at 05:48 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.