Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Couple had another session done

teebat
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · Couple had another session done

deepbluejh wrote:
Actually she didn't post any of the pictures. The only reason I know about the new session is because she commented on the pictures.

It may just be a money thing. I had a couple last year thay signed a contract for a Wedding & Engagement session. We shot the Engagement session, they "loved" the shots, ordered a couple of canvases , this was about 6 months before the Wedding. about 4 weeks before Wedding I get an email telling me that they can't afford a photographer and want their retainer back. Well I didn't give it back to them and they said OK.

After the Wedding I see on their Face Book thats the Grooms 17 year old sister was their photographer for the day, ok , I guess they were helping her to get started as it was here first paying job for photography. 6 months go by and I get a email from the bride asking me how much I would charge to "fix" their Wedding photos, she didn't like the price I qouted for that either.

Feb 18, 2013 at 08:47 PM
Daboyle
• • •
p.2 #2 · Couple had another session done

Stop over thinking and I don't at all think you should ask why she got the other set of photos done - that screams unprofessional and somewhat desperate for approval. You do great work, she obviously loved your photos. Do your job, and continue to be great at what you do.

Feb 18, 2013 at 10:15 PM
HubbardJA
• • •
p.2 #3 · Couple had another session done

Does she know the other photographer?

I've had a few brides who felt obligated to let their best friend/cousin/sister/co-worker shoot a session with them. Their paying you for a reason...

Feb 18, 2013 at 11:07 PM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.2 #4 · Couple had another session done

if it were me, I would just communicate with them to find out if they have any concerns to discuss with you about their wedding photography. I recently had the opportunity to actually sit down with a bride to look at her engagement photos with her together so she could easily communicate to me what she liked best, and even though it was more time spent with her.... I felt it was well worthwhile to do so, I found out what she liked most and I am now editing her wedding photos from this past Saturday. I knew going into the wedding what her preferences are... so even with the wedding photos, I know which ones to spend more time fine tuning and editing.

If you do get a chance to decipher this, I hope you will come back and share what you learn. I don't think I would bring up the thing about the other photos taken by someone else in your communication because in doing so, you might not get the truth out of them anyway, so whatever they tell you might not even be the real reason. When it comes to business, I think we all know that people do not tell us 100% truth because they are afraid to hurt our feelings sometimes.

Feb 18, 2013 at 11:38 PM
ckhagen
• • • •
p.2 #5 · Couple had another session done

Mini sessions are quick, cheap, easy, and often themed. So I can totally understand someone snatching up a spot for one even if they've already done a full engagement shoot. I'm doing Easter mini seasons for kids and I'll probably book a ton for people who usually use a different photog for their family shoots and they may very well go back to the other photog for future shoots. It's just the nature of mini sessions.

Feb 19, 2013 at 01:06 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · Couple had another session done

CMB Photo wrote:
I just seen my former client "liked" another guy photo web site on their FB. It happens and I don't know how to control former clients loyalty anymore.

Maybe stay off client Facebooks and out of the drama?

Feb 19, 2013 at 01:51 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · Couple had another session done

tobicus wrote:
Bingo.

+2

Ignore it.

Feb 19, 2013 at 01:54 AM
Inku Yo
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #8 · Couple had another session done

Corojo wrote:
who knows why people do what they do... as long as you got paid, who cares...

It's not always about making money and getting paid. It's about having happy clients.

Feb 19, 2013 at 02:43 AM
kwhaley29
• •
p.2 #9 · Couple had another session done

When you care about your work, it's difficult not to take things like this personally. I know it's easier said than done but don't dwell too hard on it or it will only make it worse. Shift your focus onto something positive and productive to take your mind off of it for a while. Then if it still bothers you, go ahead and contact the bride.

Feb 19, 2013 at 03:00 AM
Jamesbjenkins
• • •
p.2 #10 · Couple had another session done

Inku Yo wrote:
It's not always about making money and getting paid. It's about having happy clients.

This. Happy clients = clients who share your images incessantly = friends who see your images, which if you did your job properly in tagging and marking the images destined for social media, means lots of traffic for your page and site.

It's a long term game. Being stuck in short term thinking can cost you unknown thousands in referrals...

Feb 19, 2013 at 03:51 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · Couple had another session done

Jamesbjenkins wrote:
if you did your job properly in tagging and marking the images destined for social media, means lots of traffic for your page and site

I've been hearing a lot about this new "social media" thing. Suppose I should look into it one of these days if I can ever get a break in my work.

Feb 19, 2013 at 08:25 AM
Prettym1k3
• • •
p.2 #12 · Couple had another session done

In this industry, where everyone is a photographer, and everyone can do it "better" and cheaper than you, you have to let this go. People will steal the images off of your blog. They'll edit them with instagram and stupid filters on their phone (just had this happen to me). Then they'll upload them to Facebook and, hopefully, not tag you (also just happened to me). They'll not give you credit (also just happened).

They'll hire another photographer 2 months later. Maybe they want variety. Maybe they want a different style. Nothing wrong with that. If I could have Jonathan Canlas shoot some portraiture of my family, Katy Merry shoot my wife nude, Jeff Newsom shoot my vow renewal, and someone else shoot my kid, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I love variety.

I had a bride and groom get pictures taken 2 days after their wedding at Disneyland by another photographer. I only gave two teasers the day after, but this photographer had almost all of her images up the night she shot. Well, I had 3000 images to go through. She probably had 200. Not fair, right? I was confused people would think SHE shot the wedding and I wanted what's mine. MINE MINE MINE MINE MINE. Sounds like a childish reaction, right?

But hey, seriously, who cares? Maybe she was a friend. Maybe she did it cheap. Maybe they just liked her work. But clearly, I wasn't 370 mile away in Disneyland when they wanted pictures taken. And turns out, the photographer is really nice and I've chatted with her a bit.

TL;DR - let it go.

Feb 20, 2013 at 06:15 PM
Brian Virts
• • •
p.2 #13 · Couple had another session done

I would let it go bro, stay on course an confident to shoot the wedding. It sounds like you did your best. Getting into a discussion about them being happy at this point should come from their side, you're meeting expectations and doing the best you can, they should be communicating back to you on how the experience is going for them. If they aren't, then you can't fix something unless you know it's broken. Definitely have a skype or face to face to discuss the wedding timeline. I think you'll be fine here...

Feb 20, 2013 at 06:23 PM
micla

p.2 #14 · Couple had another session done

Just because your client doesn't share the photos doesn't mean that they don't love them. Have you heard from the client at all? I over think things as well if I don't hear back from them in the next few days. If I do not hear from them back in a week, I will send them a follow up or give them a call to confirm they were able to access their images. Most people either get tied up with things and can't/forget to respond right away. Most of the time, if someone is unhappy with the images, it is because they are unhappy with the way they look. Maybe they are heavier than they used to be or a certain angle (like you suggested) makes them self-conscious. I was watching a CL the other day and one of the instructors mentioned that when they meet they ask what the client loves about themselves and it most often than not turns into what they do not like about themself. I think I am going to start doing this with my couples and ask what features they like about each other to help understand if there is something that gets thrown out there that makes them self conscious.

Feb 20, 2013 at 07:17 PM
micla

p.2 #15 · Couple had another session done

Inku Yo wrote:

Agreed. Top priority is to keep my clients happy.

Feb 20, 2013 at 07:18 PM
CMB Photo
• • •
p.2 #16 · Couple had another session done

D. Diggler wrote:
Maybe stay off client Facebooks and out of the drama?

Well it was shared on my FB page and I respect anyone's choice for that matter. I see photog better than me and worth than me - all the time. However, one thing is taboo - stay out of their drama...
Delivered an album last sat. Told them, that the returned customer gets discount (they thought I'm talking about another wedding for the same bride/groom if divorced). I run away...

Feb 20, 2013 at 09:00 PM
CMB Photo
• • •
p.2 #17 · Couple had another session done

Besides, I'm starting using these for all my Brides, so that all of them feel happy and cheerful!

http://www.asseenontv.com/shutter-huggers-camera-lens-characters/detail.php?p=373234

Feb 20, 2013 at 09:16 PM
JR Magat
• • • •
p.2 #18 · Couple had another session done

I had a similar situation last year. The couple didn't book me for their wedding and only for the engagement session. They said they "loved" them but I saw new engagement photos a month later on FB that they were tagged in.

I was 2nd guessing myself also but was happy with what I delivered. It turns out they booked this photographer for their wedding who was a better fit for them and their package included an engagement session as well. No hard feelings and I moved on from there

Feb 20, 2013 at 10:56 PM
drive_75
• • •
p.2 #19 · Couple had another session done

You should just move on. No need to over-think about the situation.

Feb 21, 2013 at 03:32 AM
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password