Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Couple had another session done

deepbluejh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Couple had another session done

Found out today via Facebook that a client whose engagement session I did a few months back just had another session done. It was one of those "mini-sessions" which have recently become popular among certain photographers (who usually charge very low rates).

At any rate, this has kinda gotten into my head. I'm wondering now if they didn't like the engagement pictures I took of them. I don't see any other probable scenario for them having another session done - except maybe if it was free and this was a friend. The girl didn't give me any feedback from our session, nor did she post any of them on FB - which is highly unusual for me.

I'll go on record as saying I was very happy with the pictures from their session (I'm not going to link them in this thread). The quality and style of the session was right there on par with the rest of my work.

I want to ask the bride what she thought about my session and if there was anything I could improve for them for their wedding in July. Part of me wants to do that, but part of me also thinks this might be a bit confrontational and should just let it go.

Thoughts?

Feb 18, 2013 at 03:11 PM
Aremac 01
• •
p.1 #2 · Couple had another session done

You will never know why they had another session unless you ask the bride. But if it were me, I'd just remain confident in my own abilities and let it go.

Edited by Steve Tinetti on Feb 18, 2013 at 09:27 PM · View previous versions

Feb 18, 2013 at 03:28 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Couple had another session done

I would also try to let it go, but then I am the non confrontational type.

There are a huge range of hypothetical scenarios as for why this has happened. Leave it a couple of weeks. If you still care then, it's your choice to bring it up in some fashion.

Feb 18, 2013 at 03:34 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Couple had another session done

Some ppl just like to have their picture taken, though it would seem they would have put yours up on their FB page. I take it that they put this new session's shots on their FB page. If so, that is interesting and would indicate they like these and didn't care so much for yours -- not saying your shoot was bad, but sometimes people are funny about what they like and don't like.

If you're shooting their wedding, I would talk to them about it before the wedding to help ensure you deliver pictures that they're happy with.

Feb 18, 2013 at 03:59 PM
sboerup
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · Couple had another session done

friscoron wrote:
Some ppl just like to have their picture taken.

This. They don't do it for the photos, but they want to feel like celebrities/models/whatevers. I've had a bride that LOVED her images. She posted all 683 to her facebook in 4 galleries. She has contacted other photographers since the wedding for more pictures (all of which told me she did). She still comments on my facebook posts, gives me a hug whenever we run into each other in public. Some people get what they want out of photography by means of the process and social stimulation of people viewing their photos, not because of reasons we photographers might consider valuable.

Feb 18, 2013 at 04:05 PM
Corojo
• • •
p.1 #6 · Couple had another session done

who knows why people do what they do... as long as you got paid, who cares...

Feb 18, 2013 at 04:27 PM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Couple had another session done

friscoron wrote:
Some ppl just like to have their picture taken, though it would seem they would have put yours up on their FB page. I take it that they put this new session's shots on their FB page. If so, that is interesting and would indicate they like these and didn't care so much for yours -- not saying your shoot was bad, but sometimes people are funny about what they like and don't like.

If you're shooting their wedding, I would talk to them about it before the wedding to help ensure you deliver pictures that they're happy with.

I had something similar to this last year. Shot this session with a couple, got very lukewarm feedback on the pictures. I decided to ask them what the issue was. Turns out the girl *hated* her side profile. She hated it so much that she literally did not like a single picture of her face turned to the side. She was borderline neurotic about this.

I did another session with them for free. I had the girl look directly into the camera for every single picture. She loved the pictures.

Feb 18, 2013 at 04:30 PM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.1 #8 · Couple had another session done

^That's interesting and it's a good thing to keep in mind.

brad

Feb 18, 2013 at 04:42 PM
tobicus
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · Couple had another session done

Corojo wrote:
who knows why people do what they do... as long as you got paid, who cares...

Bingo.

Feb 18, 2013 at 05:45 PM
julieawhitlock
• •
p.1 #10 · Couple had another session done

I think sometimes couples don't invest as much personally as we do. To us, that's a slap in the face. To them, it's getting pictures taken. I'm sure they'd never guess how that affects us.

Feb 18, 2013 at 06:00 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

morby
• • •
p.1 #11 · Couple had another session done

It wouldn't bother me as much if it was just an engagement session and nothing else. Since you are shooting their wedding in July it's a little bit different. If there is a possibility that they didn't like the engagement photos you'll want to know that so that you can change things up at the wedding. Like you said about the other couple, maybe it's a certain angle or pose that she doesn't like. It will be good to know that information prior to their wedding, which is 100x more important than engagement photos.

Maybe you can bring it up in a way that is non-confrontational. Saying something like, "As I approach shooting your wedding were there things that you really liked about your engagement photos or some things that you'd want me to do differently? Knowing that will help me to get the best possible photos for you on your wedding day."

Maybe the wording could be better, but hopefully that's helpful. If you're anything like me I want all of my clients to be happy and it eats at me if they aren't (or I speculate that they aren't happy).

Feb 18, 2013 at 06:23 PM
roland hale
• •
p.1 #12 · Couple had another session done

deepbluejh wrote:
I want to ask the bride what she thought about my session and if there was anything I could improve for them for their wedding in July. Part of me wants to do that, but part of me also thinks this might be a bit confrontational and should just let it go.

Thoughts?

I don't think this is a bad idea, or that it would come off as confrontational. No need to bring up that you're asking them the question because they hired another photographer - just good customer service and follow up.

Feb 18, 2013 at 06:29 PM
g-money
• • •
p.1 #13 · Couple had another session done

Hmmmm, must be something in the air. I logged into FB last night myself and the first post I seen is from one of my June brides posting "Pics from our engagement and save the date session" I was floored. She is a college student out of town and while I have a signed contract I have not met her yet or shot anything. I emailed her two weeks ago about setting up a time to get together and no response. I am now left wondering if she has chosen to go a different direction and just not answering my email. Now unsure if I should write and ask whats up or not.

Greg

Feb 18, 2013 at 06:46 PM
morby
• • •
p.1 #14 · Couple had another session done

g-money wrote:
Hmmmm, must be something in the air. I logged into FB last night myself and the first post I seen is from one of my June brides posting "Pics from our engagement and save the date session" I was floored. She is a college student out of town and while I have a signed contract I have not met her yet or shot anything. I emailed her two weeks ago about setting up a time to get together and no response. I am now left wondering if she has chosen to go a different direction and just not answering my
...Show more

Did you get a deposit?

Feb 18, 2013 at 06:50 PM
Ghost
• • • •
p.1 #15 · Couple had another session done

Did she use yours on her FB and then replace it with the new photog?

Or she completely didn't used yours and used the new photog's instead on FB?

For the latter, I'd think of finding ways to have a conversation about her satisfaction.
Else since a contract is signed, I wouldn't lose nights over it. You are still their GUY.
Hopefully you don't get a "Dear Jamie...." note saying it's not about you it's them thing.

Feb 18, 2013 at 07:01 PM
g-money
• • •
p.1 #16 · Couple had another session done

morby wrote:
Did you get a deposit?

Oh yes have a deposit! I have also turned down two other inquires for that date.

Feb 18, 2013 at 07:44 PM
morby
• • •
p.1 #17 · Couple had another session done

g-money wrote:
Oh yes have a deposit! I have also turned down two other inquires for that date.

Good! I'm sure she would have contacted you if she went a different direction. I've had couples do engagement sessions with other photographers even though I'm their wedding photographer. Sometimes it's because they are out of state or a friend offered to do it for free.

Feb 18, 2013 at 07:48 PM
CMB Photo
• • •
p.1 #18 · Couple had another session done

people like to "shop" around...Plus the market is OVER - saturated. That new photog could become their new friend and so forth.. I just seen my former client "liked" another guy photo web site on their FB. It happens and I don't know how to control former clients loyalty anymore...

Feb 18, 2013 at 07:51 PM
Daboyle
• • •
p.1 #19 · Couple had another session done

sometimes it's not even the client. I have had several people I know who were getting into the biz and to build a portfolio. They offered free sessions to good looking couples and their friends. We can argue the business decision to do that at a later time, but none the less, it happens.

Feb 18, 2013 at 08:01 PM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · Couple had another session done

Ghost wrote:
Did she use yours on her FB and then replace it with the new photog?

Or she completely didn't used yours and used the new photog's instead on FB?

For the latter, I'd think of finding ways to have a conversation about her satisfaction.
Else since a contract is signed, I wouldn't lose nights over it. You are still their GUY.
Hopefully you don't get a "Dear Jamie...." note saying it's not about you it's them thing.

Actually she didn't post any of the pictures. The only reason I know about the new session is because she commented on the pictures.

Feb 18, 2013 at 08:28 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password