Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Alternatives to eyelighter?

jzucker
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Alternatives to eyelighter?

I've read the other 2 threads but wondering if anything is new on the subject. I have the tri-flector and it's very cool and I love the effect but occasionally want a single reflection and glow rather than the 3 panels.

Anyone else have any cool DIY ideas?

Feb 18, 2013 at 09:49 AM
myam203
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Alternatives to eyelighter?

I haven't tried myself, but if you know what a vert ramp is, I'm envisioning something like that made out of poster board and foamcore. Worth a try!

Feb 18, 2013 at 02:36 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Alternatives to eyelighter?

question is how to form it into a curve. Some type of bendable rods?

Feb 18, 2013 at 03:40 PM
myam203
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Alternatives to eyelighter?

No no, I think you could do it like this:

Side view of DIY eyelighter

Feb 18, 2013 at 04:50 PM
myam203
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Alternatives to eyelighter?

Cut 2 or 3 pieces of foamcore to the shape shown above, making sure they're identical, and glue the poster board to the top--that forms the curved shape. That will create a frame, which will then need to be reinforced with more sheets of the foamcore on the sides and bottom (like building a house with a concave roof).

EDIT: I guess the other way to do it would be to get some curved tubing with reflective material and mimic the real eyelighter configuration, but I'm not sure I'm handy enough to pull that off.

Feb 18, 2013 at 04:53 PM
Sheldon N
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Alternatives to eyelighter?

Flexible 1/8 hardboard + spray adhesive + reflective emergency blanket (or just paint it white)

Bend into a U shape by using strong fishing line to pull/hold the corners toward each other. Invisible to the reflection on the subject, should be able to position them out of the photo.

Drill/mount a stand stud on the bottom so you can put it on a bracket/stand/etc.

Feb 18, 2013 at 05:03 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Alternatives to eyelighter?

jzucker wrote:
...I have the tri-flector ...but occasionally want a single reflection and glow rather than the 3 panels.

Simplicity itself: get a Space Blanket and stretch it across your Tri-flector, held in place with some spring clips or Velcro spots.

Feb 18, 2013 at 06:25 PM
myam203
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Alternatives to eyelighter?

Oh that's definitely the best idea yet!

Feb 18, 2013 at 06:27 PM
hammer2k911
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Alternatives to eyelighter?

Sheldon N wrote:
Flexible 1/8 hardboard + spray adhesive + reflective emergency blanket (or just paint it white)

Bend into a U shape by using strong fishing line to pull/hold the corners toward each other. Invisible to the reflection on the subject, should be able to position them out of the photo.

Drill/mount a stand stud on the bottom so you can put it on a bracket/stand/etc.

Here is a video which uses this method

Feb 21, 2013 at 01:17 AM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Alternatives to eyelighter?

hammer2k911 wrote:
Here is a video which uses this method

Great idea. Thanks!

Feb 22, 2013 at 01:04 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Alternatives to eyelighter?

White lighting diffusion panel ... they flexibly bow, are durable and washable, and come in various textures. Mine was pebbled on one side, smooth on the other. It could serve double-duty as a diffuser also (especially given that this is what it actually is).

I've used them in the field (hand held) to wrap light around flowers ... no reason why you couldn't use them in the studio with sawhorse/clamps or some other kind of frame/stand with one cut to size of your choosing. The bow can range to reflect from flat as a pancake to nearly full circle. Think flexible top from shooting table. You could also light from beneath.

NOTE: Don't forget to secure them in the back of the truck before going down the highway. They also make great sails and are NOT shatterproof when they hit the asphalt @ 50 MPH ... ask me how I know.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1088560/0#10375399

Feb 22, 2013 at 02:05 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Alternatives to eyelighter?

didn't see anything in the link . Did you mean white lightning? Otherwise, white lighting diffusion is too generic for me to find anything on.

Feb 22, 2013 at 02:55 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Alternatives to eyelighter?

http://www.eplastics.com/Plastic/Lighting_Diffusers/OS-ICE2X4

Something like this ... lighting panels that go in fluorescent (or other) lighting fixtures. Just check @ Lowe's or Home Depot, etc. One side is more textured, the other is more smooth. About $10 for a 2X4 sheet. IIRC, the acrylic is pretty rigid, while the styrene is very flexible.

Feb 22, 2013 at 06:25 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Alternatives to eyelighter?

thanks rusty.

Feb 24, 2013 at 11:28 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.