New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Cross-Promotion Advice

myam203
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Cross-Promotion Advice

Hi guys,

I've asked for general business advice before, but now I'm specifically interested in finding family portrait work by cross-promoting with local businesses. As a photographer they've never heard of, picking up the phone and calling them, what can I do for them to make it worth their while to help promote or refer their clients to me? I'm just not sure what my "angle" should be, but I plan on potentially contacting daycares, gymnasiums, and dance studios--are there others that you would suggest?

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated!

Mike

Feb 18, 2013 at 09:07 AM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Cross-Promotion Advice

Walk in, talk to the owner, see if you can't work out a deal. Nobody is going to promote you for free. They want something in return. Usually money, a percentage of your sale. Occasionally you can get by with some free photos in return. It's also fairly common to have some business cards in a holder near the front desk, if they'd let you.

Feb 19, 2013 at 11:14 AM
myam203
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Cross-Promotion Advice

Thanks Ben. Someone on another forum said it would be unethical to offer money for promotion, but I'm not above trying it if it'll bring me some business, at least initially. What do you think?

Feb 25, 2013 at 10:11 AM
_Rob_S_
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Cross-Promotion Advice

Here's an angle I picked up at a workshop that creates a win-win-win:

Approach the business and work out a shoot with some of their best/favorite clients. Print big images for them to display and when the display has run it's course the prints go to the client. Example: Ski shop. Owner identifies a few favorite clients and arranges for latest ski fashions to be available. Photog shoots these people in the latest ski fashions and prints images. Retailer displays through season with credit to photog (watermark, business cards etc.). At end of season, prints go to client. Win-win-win. Retailer gets relevant display material, photog gets exposure to new clients and clients get prints.

Rob

Feb 25, 2013 at 10:39 AM
myam203
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Cross-Promotion Advice

Thanks Rob, that's a good one. Still open to even more input here! Can't believe there aren't more people looking for creative ways of finding clients and all that...

Mar 05, 2013 at 10:48 AM
bipock
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Cross-Promotion Advice

I am in the process of pairing up with a real estate friend of mine. He gives a closing gift to all his clients. For no charge to him or from him, he will include a coupon for a a free session from me. Prints or digital releases are at my normal rates.

Buy a new house, get a family picture to hang up. WIN-WIN for everyone.

Mar 08, 2013 at 08:55 AM
jefferies1
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Cross-Promotion Advice

Try to setup a shoot inside the retail store. Lets say a kids clothing shop. This way they promote it and the parent will most likely buy an outfit for the shoot. Give a % of the shoot to the store. About being unethical to offer money for promotion I feel the opposite. You are trying to use the store which cost thousands a month to keep open to increase your business. Only fair to pay for the service like you would with a radio station.

Mar 14, 2013 at 10:18 AM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.