New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2013 · Bangkok with Edward

helimat
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Bangkok with Edward

It's 4:00am here, and I am up due to jet lag so I thought I might as well put a little thread together.

I recently was fortunate enough to travel to Thailand for my brother-in-law's wedding. Before Christmas I stopped by a thread here on the FM alt board where fellow member Edward Karaa happened to mention that anyone traveling through Bangkok should drop him a line. Although I didn't know him personally, but did know him as a respected poster here, I did so thinking it might be a good opportunity to meet for a coffee and maybe go out and shoot for an hour or two. Boy was I wrong! Not only did we manage to fit in several full afternoons of shooting, we also had numerous dinners together at great restaurants as well. I cannot believe what a friendly and gracious host Edward turned out to be. He was truly the difference between a good trip and an amazing one.

Being from a smaller town on the West Coast of Canada, and being somewhat shy in nature, I had not really had a chance to really try street photography much before. Bangkok however seems to be the 'mecca' for this type of shooting, and Edward guided me to some great spots and also helped with working up my nerve to approach people and photograph them.

The main intent for my thread, other than sharing some of my images of course, is to acknowledge Edward for showing myself and my family, who in reality were initially complete strangers, such a great time. So, Thank you Edward, it was honestly an experience I will remember for the rest of my life, and I am sure I will be back for more.

I will start where we started, in Bangkok's Chinatown on the weekend of the Chinese New Year. First off, the host himself; adding to his merit by freeing birds... (Temporarily anyways! ) Edward had his M9 of course, with the ZM 25/2.8 and ZM 35/2 I believe. When with Edward I was shooting with my 5D2 and primarily the ZE 35/1.4, with a few shots taken with the ZE 21/2.8.

_MG_6632 by helimat, on Flickr

_MG_6653 by helimat, on Flickr

_MG_6715 by helimat, on Flickr

_MG_6722 by helimat, on Flickr

_MG_6740 by helimat, on Flickr

Edited on Feb 18, 2013 at 01:21 PM · View previous versions

Feb 18, 2013 at 01:02 PM
helimat
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Bangkok with Edward

That day we ended up walking for over three hours, (although it honestly didn't feel that long despite being over 35*c) and eventually made our way to the Hua Lamphong train station.

_MG_6794 by helimat, on Flickr

_MG_6800 by helimat, on Flickr

_MG_6823 by helimat, on Flickr

_MG_6876 by helimat, on Flickr

Feb 18, 2013 at 01:05 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Bangkok with Edward

Mat, I'm very flattered and almost blushing!

The pleasure was really mine. I enjoyed going out shooting with you, and you did help me to overcome my fear of strangers too. In fact, I wouldn't have dared to venture in the more risky parts of town on my own, so it was mainly thanks to your presence, especially that you look more intimidating than me, and have a bigger camera

So thank you very much for your visit. It was really nice meeting you and your lovely family. You have a friend in Bangkok so please drop by anytime!

Feb 18, 2013 at 01:18 PM
helimat
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Bangkok with Edward

You are welcome Edward, we will be back for sure. And it goes without saying that if you were ever to make your way over here that you would be our guest and we would try to be as great a host as you were!

And I wanted to thank you again for mentioning to me several times when we were in the slum, that I would be attacked first due to my big camera!

Hopefully you can share some of your shots too. I know you got lots of great ones.

Feb 18, 2013 at 01:26 PM
helimat
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Bangkok with Edward

Here are a few more from that day.

_MG_6687 by helimat, on Flickr

_MG_6710 by helimat, on Flickr

_MG_6766 by helimat, on Flickr

_MG_6878 by helimat, on Flickr

Feb 18, 2013 at 01:29 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Bangkok with Edward

Now a few comments about the photographs:

First I have to say that I love the Zeiss rendering on the 5D2. the colors and contrast are amazing.

In both sets I am trying to pick a favourite, but I am unable to (apart from my action photo, of course ). They are all excellent!

The cat and lion shot is hilarious, the sexy chinese lady will certainly draw some attention, love the symmetry and framing in the young monks shot, you really caught a nice moment and a smile in the amputated begger shot. I also love the old man resting on a bench and window portrait at the train station. The last one contains a humorous part with the speeding car and the Spain soccer national team player doing a sprint

Keep them coming!

Feb 18, 2013 at 01:29 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Bangkok with Edward

Here are a few photographs of mine, all with the ZM 25 Biogon:

M9 + ZM 25/2.8 Biogon by edward karaa, on Flickr

Feb 18, 2013 at 01:44 PM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Bangkok with Edward

Great shots Mat! Like the cat and the lion shot.
Couple yesrs ago I was fortunate to meet up with Edward a couple of nights while I stayed in Bankok. I too would like to mention how gracious a host he was and wish I could have done some street shooting with him.
This was when Edward had his A900 and hated Canon colors. Now Leica rangefinder purist but still with zeiss lenses.
Hope to go back soon one day.!

Feb 18, 2013 at 01:53 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Bangkok with Edward

M9 + ZM 25 Biogon by edward karaa, on Flickr

M9 + ZM 25 Biogon by edward karaa, on Flickr

Feb 18, 2013 at 01:54 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Bangkok with Edward

wayne seltzer wrote:
Great shots Mat! Like the cat and the lion shot.
Couple yesrs ago I was fortunate to meet up with Edward a couple of nights while I stayed in Bankok. I too would like to mention how gracious a host he was and wish I could have done some street shooting with him.
This was when Edward had his A900 and hated Canon colors. Now Leica rangefinder purist but still with zeiss lenses.
Hope to go back soon one day.!

Thanks Wayne! Still waiting for your next visit. Maybe you'll find me next time with a Nikon D800E and ZF.2 55/1.4

Feb 18, 2013 at 01:58 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

helimat
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Bangkok with Edward

Good stuff! The shot of the conductor is wonderful. The smoking monk has a lot of character. The 25mm is a nice focal length for what we were shooting, a comprise between 21 and 35mm I would have liked to try.

Thank you Wayne. As an animal lover, Bangkok and it's heat offered many opportunities for shots of lazy cats and dogs.

The next day we went to Wat Arun; 'Temple of the Dawn' I believe. Not really too much 'street' photography on this day for me, as the temple and surrounding grounds was my main focus. By this time I had switched to the 35mm pretty much exclusively while out with Edward aside from the first one here.

_MG_6916 by helimat, on Flickr

_MG_7001 by helimat, on Flickr

_MG_7018 by helimat, on Flickr

_MG_7039 by helimat, on Flickr

_MG_6908 by helimat, on Flickr

Edited on Feb 18, 2013 at 02:06 PM · View previous versions

Feb 18, 2013 at 02:00 PM
joanlvh
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Bangkok with Edward

Thanks for showing us Bangkok, great shots. Edward, I really like the train attendant looking down the platform. Joankvh

Feb 18, 2013 at 02:05 PM
helimat
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Bangkok with Edward

Thanks, joanlvh.

Here are a few more from our second day;

_MG_7014 by helimat, on Flickr

_MG_7048 by helimat, on Flickr

_MG_7073 by helimat, on Flickr

And the one-per-day action shot:

_MG_7067 by helimat, on Flickr

Feb 18, 2013 at 02:12 PM
mirkoc
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Bangkok with Edward

I am glad two alternative FMers had a great time together. Interesting photos of both of you. Keep posting!

Feb 18, 2013 at 02:32 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Bangkok with Edward

Very nice shots, both! I think my favorite is the taxi at dusk, but there are many very nice shots here.

Feb 18, 2013 at 02:40 PM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Bangkok with Edward

edwardkaraa wrote:
Thanks Wayne! Still waiting for your next visit. Maybe you'll find me next time with a Nikon D800E and ZF.2 55/1.4

Lol! Too much bulk! I will bring my RX1 and be stealthy like you. Nice images, like the train station and last two shots the best.
Mat, really like the last Arun shot with the monks.

And Edward doesn't need to worry about being a target as he knows martial arts!

Feb 18, 2013 at 02:46 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Bangkok with Edward

Awesome photos, guys. What a wonderful trip!

Feb 18, 2013 at 02:51 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Bangkok with Edward

Great to see two FM'ers getting together to have some fun. Nice shots and it sounds like a wonderful trip!

Feb 18, 2013 at 02:58 PM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Bangkok with Edward

Ed; look at you - looking all fit and stuff.

I was literally five minutes from ending up in Bangkok last week...
...as I was typing in the reservation to go on a plane two days later I got a phone call with a job offer I could not say no to so I had to postpone once again.

Wish I could have joined in, some awesome shots in there too.

/ Henrik

Feb 18, 2013 at 03:01 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Bangkok with Edward

Great stuff! Thanks for sharing the experience. Show more if you have them!

Edward -- You are a gracious fellow! Good times. . . I'm jealous of not being there for your expertise on the restaurants.

Feb 18, 2013 at 03:34 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password