Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · 85mm Comparison

PennsyBill
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 85mm Comparison

Between these 4 lenses ---- f1.4G AF-S ($1500)---- f1.4 AF-D ($1250) ---- f1.8 G AF-S ($400) and the 1.8 D-AF ($460)

It will "ride" on my D3s and ........

how would you rank the focus speed?

how would you rank the image quality - in the center and over-all?

Do either of these lenses have any "issues"?

Primary use would be indoor sports -- volleyball, swimming & wrestling but it would also be used for environmental portraits.

Feb 18, 2013 at 12:21 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 85mm Comparison

I have owned or used the 1.4s. The AF-D lenses are faster acquiring than the AF-S lenses but do poorly at tracking movement (not on you list but the sigma 85mm 1.4 tracks as well as the AF-S ones but acquires much faster). The fastest focusing and best tracking lenses are zooms, I would look strongly at a 70-200 for indoor sports if you can, AF on any of these lenses wider than 2.8 for sports in low light will not be super consistent anyway.

In terms of optical performance here are some figures by lensentals (http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/03/d800-lens-selection)
Nikon 85mm f/1.4G AF-S (1044 / 1021 @ f/5.6)
Nikon 85mm f/1.4 D (955 / 753 @ f/5.6)
Nikon 85mm f/1.8 AF-S (1053 / 942 @ f/8)

Feb 18, 2013 at 12:53 PM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 85mm Comparison

I have not tried the latest 85 1.8, but, I'm a big fan of the 85 1.4 G. Really like that lens. However, I agree with Mark that the 70-200 would be a better lens for indoor sports. I used it to shoot my daughter when she played volleyball. The issue is always the quality of light and whether or not you need the couple stops from the primes. You might not need the 70-200 if you can get close enough to the action--I couldn't.

Feb 18, 2013 at 05:37 PM
Smiert Spionam
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 85mm Comparison

In good light, the 1.4D focuses very quickly. In poor light, it's very weak (and tracking is never great). For indoor sports, it would likely be frustrating.

The Sigma 85/1.4 is really the fastest AF performer of the bunch, though.

Feb 18, 2013 at 05:55 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 85mm Comparison

The sigma may be the fastest, but remember, he's using it on a D3s, which is wicked fast focusing anyway, AND, from what i've read, while the sigma is fast, it's not as accurate as the Nikon 85's....which seems to always be the case i've found in my own experience....

For what it's worth, i was shooting an indoor skateboard competition down here a while back, and i used my 85 1.8D on my D3, and the focusing was excellent, ESPECIALLY with center point.......when you go to the outside points, you loose a little speed/accuracy, but that's typical anyways....

Feb 18, 2013 at 06:44 PM
Smiert Spionam
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 85mm Comparison

NathanHamler wrote:
The sigma may be the fastest, but remember, he's using it on a D3s, which is wicked fast focusing anyway, AND, from what i've read, while the sigma is fast, it's not as accurate as the Nikon 85's....which seems to always be the case i've found in my own experience....

Having used all the 1.4s quite a bit, that's not my experience. Even on a D3/s, the 1.4D starts to show its age. It's not just a matter of acquisition and tracking speed -- you also lose a lot of effective speed by not being able to intervene with a manual focus assist -- instead, you have to wait for the screw-drive motor to do the work on its own. The result is that either the 1.4G or the Sigma will be a much quicker -- and more accurate -- overall shooting combination, even on a pro body.

Feb 18, 2013 at 07:14 PM
Kerry Pierce
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 85mm Comparison

Good thread. I'm a long time user of the 1.4d and have been happy to the point that I had no interest in the newer lenses. But, the info on the Sigma AF is interesting to me and something that I don't recall having seen before. So, this is good/bad.... Now I have to consider whether or not I'll really use the AF speed of that lens enough to justify the switch.

thanks
Kerry

Feb 18, 2013 at 08:34 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 85mm Comparison

Kerry Pierce wrote:
Good thread. I'm a long time user of the 1.4d and have been happy to the point that I had no interest in the newer lenses. But, the info on the Sigma AF is interesting to me and something that I don't recall having seen before. So, this is good/bad.... Now I have to consider whether or not I'll really use the AF speed of that lens enough to justify the switch.

thanks
Kerry

If not you will still notice a big improvement in sharpness away from the centre and flare control.

Feb 18, 2013 at 09:20 PM
Taoguy
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 85mm Comparison

I'd agree with the 70-200 for indoor sports on a D3s, my fav combo. I have both the Nikon 1.4G AF-S and the Sigma 1.4. I wanted the 85 1.4 and tired of waiting as the Nikon was backordered for a long time so I bought the Sigma 85 1.4 and when the Nikon finally came in after several months I intended to sell the Siggy but I've kept both. Still comparing after 15 months , thats my excuse.

IQ wise they are very close, a very slight edge IMO goes to Nikon, the Siggy has the faster AF but again it close. You can't go wrong with the Siggy and you'll save $$ as well.

Feb 18, 2013 at 09:38 PM
Kerry Pierce
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 85mm Comparison

Kerry Pierce wrote:

thanks
Kerry

Mark_L wrote:
If not you will still notice a big improvement in sharpness away from the centre and flare control.

Well, that tears it. I will put this lens on my wish list, right behind the 35 f/1.4.

Maybe I can sell the 1.4d to pay for the Sigma, but, no offense, I'd prefer to compare them before I let the 1.4d go. Some of my favorite images have come out of that lens. I'll need to think about it. Amazon has them in stock....

thanks
Kerry

Feb 18, 2013 at 10:05 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

fsiagian
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 85mm Comparison

No budget problem? Get the 85mm 1.4G AFS. I am very happy with the 1.8G though. Very sharp, fast AF, and nice rendering (may not be 1.4 AF-S nice). And it's on sale with $100 rebate now

Problem? I need to MA -15 on my D600 but other than that, no problem. I don't even think MA is a problem. I love it.

Feb 18, 2013 at 10:17 PM
PennsyBill
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 85mm Comparison

Thanks for all the comments. I do have a 70-200mm f2.8 VR II and it is an amazing lens but the truth is anything more than 15-20 minutes and I can't hand-hold it (getting old sucks in so many ways) and I can't use a monopod indoors.

I wish Nikon would make a 100-300 f2.8 and I don't care if it's got VR or not.

Feb 19, 2013 at 12:20 AM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 85mm Comparison

Another vote for the Sigma, though my usage is in low-light weddings & portraiture. I should also disclose that I really didn't examine the Nikkor very thoroughly.

Feb 19, 2013 at 01:48 AM
Tete
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 85mm Comparison

If you are a baller on a budget you could opt for the 80-200mm 2.8. Can be had for cheap and still get a 85mm 1.8

Feb 19, 2013 at 10:30 AM
Waki
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 85mm Comparison

I got a wild hair and decided I needed the newer 85mm 1.4G so I put my tried and proven 85mm 1.4D up for sale. Yesterday I ordered a 85mm 1.8G. I'm keeping the 1.4D I've decided. Like someone else found, when I look back some of my very best shots are with the 1.4D. I've read and heard all the data against it, about corner sharpness, focus issues, tracking but honestly none of it ever manifested itself when shooting. It just creates really good pics on my D700 and D800 in the studio and indoor locations.

Why the 1.8G? It fell to under $400 for one with the sale. Plus I want to shoot with it and compare it to the 1.4D. The 1.4D is one of my favorite portrait lenses along with the 70-200 VRII so it stays in the studio. The newer 85mm will go mobile with me as I try the focal length out and about where I typically don't take an 85.

I need to go find that for sale thread now and cancel it.......

Feb 19, 2013 at 12:22 PM
Two23
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 85mm Comparison

Nikon_14 wrote:
Another vote for the Sigma, though my usage is in low-light weddings & portraiture.

+1. Sigma really has their f1.4 lenses dialed in!

Kent in SD

Feb 19, 2013 at 02:54 PM
DontShoot
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 85mm Comparison

I've used all but the 85 1.8D. These are my experiences with them:

Focusing speed: The Sigma 85 1.4 was the fastest focusing lens of the bunch. The 85 1.4D comes in at 2nd (with screwdriver focus and all), the 1.8G 3rd, and the 1.4G last.

Center sharpness: I would rate the Sigma 85 and Nikon 85 1.8G at the same level (sharpest) the 1.4G comes in at 2nd, and the 1.4D last. Note that while the 1.4D was not as sharp as those other modern lenses, it is part of the allure of why the 1.4D is so good for portraits, which I'll mention below.

Rendering: In my own opinion, the 1.4D renders the BEST, period. The rest are all too sharp, too contrasty, and/are too clinical in their renderings. The 1.4D's rendition is so lovely and very kind on skin tones.

This is the reason that I keep coming back to the 1.4D. There is something about its rendering that is so fascinating. Although lately the mighty 200 f/2 had taken its place as my primary portrait lens.

Feb 19, 2013 at 08:01 PM
Waki
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 85mm Comparison

DontShoot wrote:
This is the reason that I keep coming back to the 1.4D. There is something about its rendering that is so fascinating. Although lately the mighty 200 f/2 had taken its place as my primary portrait lens.

I'm seriously looking at the 200mm f/2 for what you state. But the 1.4D is back in my bag and there it stays.

Feb 19, 2013 at 09:28 PM
fsiagian
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 85mm Comparison

Do you think Sigma will re-make the 85mm 1.4 as an Art lens?

Feb 20, 2013 at 12:05 AM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 85mm Comparison

DontShoot wrote:
I've used all but the 85 1.8D. These are my experiences with them:

Focusing speed: The Sigma 85 1.4 was the fastest focusing lens of the bunch. The 85 1.4D comes in at 2nd (with screwdriver focus and all), the 1.8G 3rd, and the 1.4G last.

That surprises me. I have owned both the 1.4D and 1.4G. I found the G much quicker focusing than the D.

Feb 20, 2013 at 12:31 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password