Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

Archive 2013 · 5DMkIII/1DX: major gains to you

PetKal
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · 5DMkIII/1DX: major gains to you

MDJAK wrote:
Peter, you, my long time friend, are a true gem when it comes to these forums and your extremely interesting and well thought out posts. (What a loss to POTN. But that's another story completely.)

As you stated, and I completely agree, the initial AF attainment needs to be improved. I do more shooting of my two Labs more than anything else lately. My chocolate lab was running at me yesterday. I had the new 24-70 II on my 1Dx. It failed to attain focus on him and gave me a blurred mess. Now it may very well be because of
...Show more

Thanx, Markey.....how much of a discount do you want on the 300 f/2.8 IS MkI which I am selling ?

I am glad to hear that we see some issues here the same way.

Feb 18, 2013 at 05:42 PM
robbymack
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · 5DMkIII/1DX: major gains to you

Couldn't be happier here with a 5diii. Love the af, I actually like the customizable options but I do agree their implementation is a bit bungled. High iso performance is fantastic more than useable up to iso 12k even 25k in a pinch when not printing terribly large.

Feb 18, 2013 at 05:49 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · 5DMkIII/1DX: major gains to you

From 1D4 & 1Ds3 to 1DX

1. AF and AI Servo performance
2. High ISO Performance
3. Two CF cards instead of one CF and one SD card

Feb 18, 2013 at 06:36 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · 5DMkIII/1DX: major gains to you

goosemang wrote:
i'm... let's see... 10 months into my 5d3, coming from a 7d. here's what i know:...

Yes! Not in the sense of +1, I've only had my 5D3 a few weeks, but because I got the 5D3 to replace my 7D, not my 5D2. Well, to replace my 5D2 when I only take one body. It is so encouraging to read all these positive posts, especially now that I actually have the camera. Usually thats when I start noticing the negative ones.

So far I like the customization. The IQ doesn't seem any better than the 5D2 but I haven't had the need to push anything. Can't wait to get the camera out on the road! My only complaint is that I can feel its 1/4 lb. heavier than either the previous 5Ds or the 7D. 3/4 lb. more than the 7D when using the 1.4x with the 100-400. That will be the real test.

Feb 18, 2013 at 07:12 PM
subjectochange
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · 5DMkIII/1DX: major gains to you

I love my 5D III's IQ benefits over my 7D, especially at high ISO. I'm happy that I rarely need any noise reduction before ISO 3200. I've even captured very usable night scenes at ISO 12800. The ISO gains are also quite impressive in video shooting, where ISO 10000 looks almost the same as ISO 800.

AF tracking is also very impressive - I'm a big fan of using the 9-point zone for tracking dancers and ice skaters. I've just had a little difficulty with servo when the subject is coming directly at the camera. Maybe I need to tweak the AF custom functions.

Ergonomically, it feels fantastic and very solid. I've put its weather sealing to the test several times. I don't mind the weight at all - the 7D is only barely lighter. I also love the new, convenient placement of the DOF preview button.

A few other minor functions that have been a pleasant surprise: the one-touch 100% zoom in playback, holding the SET button to change ISO quickly, and rather decent AWB even in mixed light.

My main and biggest complaint about the 5D III is that it lacks the interchangeable focus screen capabilities that the 5D II and 1D X both have. I'd love to get more into alt lenses, but without the precision focusing screen, I may have to resort to LV more often than I'd prefer. All my lenses are f/2.8 or faster (except my 17 TS, which I need LV for anyway), so I don't care about a darker viewfinder. For this very reason, I'm considering swapping my 7D for a 6D just for alt lenses (and maybe some WiFi capabilities).

Also, I don't like that Canon moved the magnify/zoom button to the left side rather than keeping it on the right. Minor quibble though.

Feb 19, 2013 at 05:19 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · 5DMkIII/1DX: major gains to you

subjectochange wrote:
...My main and biggest complaint about the 5D III is that it lacks the interchangeable focus screen capabilities that the 5D II and 1D X both have. I'd love to get more into alt lenses, but without the precision focusing screen, I may have to resort to LV more often than I'd prefer.

Hi Eric,

I've been fine using Alt lenses with the standard focus screens in my 5D, 5DII, and 1D-series cameras starting with 1DII.

Jim

Feb 19, 2013 at 05:58 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · 5DMkIII/1DX: major gains to you

This was shot today with 1DX at ISO 3200. A really neat thing is that no noise removal has been done on the file, either in camera or in pp.

Edited on Feb 26, 2013 at 12:35 PM · View previous versions

Feb 19, 2013 at 06:55 PM
Stoffer
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · 5DMkIII/1DX: major gains to you

PetKal wrote:
This was shot today with 1DX at ISO 3200. A really neat thing is that no noise removal has been done on the file, either in camera or in pp.

Besides the great ISO performance, I really like that shot, Peter. Something about those different lines running though the photo, melikes!

Feb 19, 2013 at 07:05 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · 5DMkIII/1DX: major gains to you

Thank you, Nils......those are patches of some dirty old snow in the background.

Feb 19, 2013 at 07:14 PM
thedutt
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · 5DMkIII/1DX: major gains to you

5DIII enabled me to:

1) Do a lot more BIF, 2xIII w/ 300 2.8 is useable on this combo and was not reliable on 5DIII
2) Found a lot more cool places in my own backyard and town! A greenbelt trail that I now use 3-4 times a week!
3) Shoot super dark night club dancers for fun
4) Sigma 50 1.4 works now, one of my fav shots of my son was with this combo

Feb 19, 2013 at 07:53 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

schlotz
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · 5DMkIII/1DX: major gains to you

Excellent Peter! The low noise of the 1D-X is a great thing.

Even an ISO 20,000 (yup 20k) can clean up nicely. see here> http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1185761/0#11306487

BTW: that's an odd look'in duck

Matt

Feb 19, 2013 at 08:10 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · 5DMkIII/1DX: major gains to you

Great shot, Matt......cleaned up real good.
That is a baby duck. At about ISO 6400, even fast lenses such as 300 f/2.8, begin to cause difficulties when AF-ing on baby ducks flying frontally......low contrast, small size, too fast.

Feb 19, 2013 at 10:47 PM
subjectochange
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · 5DMkIII/1DX: major gains to you

jcolwell wrote:
Hi Eric,

I've been fine using Alt lenses with the standard focus screens in my 5D, 5DII, and 1D-series cameras starting with 1DII.

Jim

Really? That would be good news. I keep hearing many people have difficulty nailing focus consistently in shallow DOF with lenses like the Zeiss 35/1.4 or 100/2 MP - at least until they switch focusing screens. Of course this could be a case of YMMV, and maybe I just need to try it in the store. What alt lenses do you use?

Edited on Feb 19, 2013 at 11:20 PM · View previous versions

Feb 19, 2013 at 11:18 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · 5DMkIII/1DX: major gains to you

Peter, again another great head-on pijun portrait, what is really cool about this shot, from beak to neck feathers everything is just super sharp and detailed. That 1DX and your new Mark II's, with you behind the wheel, are one mean pijun shootin beastie

Feb 19, 2013 at 11:19 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · 5DMkIII/1DX: major gains to you

subjectochange wrote:
Really? That would be good news. I keep hearing many people have difficulty nailing focus consistently in shallow DOF with lenses like the Zeiss 35/1.4 or 100/2 MP - at least until they switch focusing screens. Of course this could be a case of YMMV, and maybe I just need to try it in the store. What alt lenses do you use?

Most of my fast lenses are Canon EF. The Alt lenses I use most often are:

Samyang UMC 14/2.8 AS
Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 18/3.5 ZE
Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 28/2.8 MMJ
Carl Zeiss vSonnar T* 35-70/3.4 MMJ
Rokinon 85/1.4 Aspherical IF MF

Mamiya-Sekor 645 C 80/4 N Macro
Mamiya 645 A 120/4 Macro
Mamiya 645 A 200/2.8 APO

The lenses listed below don't get used as often, but they're also very nice (I just got the Sonnar 100mm this week). The Mamiya 645 lenses listed below are almost always used on a Mirex Tilt-Shift adapter.

Fujinon EBC 35mm Lens 2.8
Pentax Auto-Takumar 85/1.8
Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* 100/3.5
Nikon Nikkor 105/2.5 AI

Mamiya-Sekor 645 C 35/3.5 N
Mamiya-Sekor 645 C 55/2.8 N
Mamiya-Sekor 645 C 80/2.8
Mamiya 645 A 150/2.8

Feb 19, 2013 at 11:34 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · 5DMkIII/1DX: major gains to you

StillFingerz wrote:
Peter, again another great head-on pijun portrait, what is really cool about this shot, from beak to neck feathers everything is just super sharp and detailed. That 1DX and your new Mark II's, with you behind the wheel, are one mean pijun shootin beastie

Jerry, I am glad to hear you like those.......shooting BIF like that can be also frustrating, but a sporting challenge as well.
Here is one more, the same 1DX at ISO 3200, no NR of any sort.

BTW, the lens used for this entire series today was 300 f/2.8 IS Mark I.....yes, the one nobody seems to wanna buy from me.

Edited on Feb 21, 2013 at 10:26 PM · View previous versions

Feb 20, 2013 at 12:07 AM
stanj
• • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · 5DMkIII/1DX: major gains to you

1Ds3 to 1DX: Buffer depth, high ISO
5D2 to 5D3: AF that works, buffer depth.

Feb 20, 2013 at 12:18 AM
stanj
• • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · 5DMkIII/1DX: major gains to you

Breitling65 wrote:
I think we said lot about this topic and I like 5D3 lot. But no meter what we will say - there is large group of Canon forum members who will trash both for number of mpx Nikon/Sony sensor currently provides. Many don't even know why they need them or how to deal with such resolution, but they like to have it. I think Canon should do it to make them happy

Actually having shot the D800E agains a 1DX on an assignment, I didn't like it for its MP but rather DR.

Feb 20, 2013 at 12:20 AM
StarNut
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · 5DMkIII/1DX: major gains to you

I bought my 5D3 to replace my 5d2, because of the better AF and higher frame rate. I had been using the 5d2 for "general" photography and the 7D for sports/wildlife.

The benefit to me has been that, when I'm not going to be focal-length limited, I can now use the 5d3 for birds; my favorite bird photos with the new camera were entirely accidental, when I surprised a huge vulture and a large bald eagle as they munched on a dead deer mere yards away from me. With the 5D3, wearing a 70-200, I was able to get a number of wonderful, detailed shots of the two birds as they flew away. I don't know that I could have obtained the same results with the 7D, with its smaller FOV, and the IQ of the 5D3 pleases me more.

Otherwise, the tangible benefit has been that, when I want to travel a bit lighter, I'm still fully-able to take photos of small moving things carrying only the one body; previously, I was severely limited in the keeper-rate with the 5d2 (not zero, but not in the same ballpark as with the 5d3).

Feb 20, 2013 at 12:32 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · 5DMkIII/1DX: major gains to you

PetKal wrote:
Jerry, I am glad to hear you like those.......shooting BIF like that can be also frustrating, but a sporting challenge as well.
Here is one more, the same 1DX at ISO 3200, no NR of any sort.

BTW, the lens used for this entire series today was 300 f/2.8 IS Mark I.....yes, the one nobody seems to wanna buy from me.

Sure hope that 300 sells, I'd grab it from you, if budget allowed and I could actually lift/shoot with it
Don't think I've every shot head-on images like those, just mostly panned surfers and race cars, can't be easy but it seems you have the knack for doing so

Feb 20, 2013 at 12:48 AM
       3       4       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password