Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Is The Grass Greener ...

RustyBug
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Is The Grass Greener ...

On The Other Side?

Feb 18, 2013 at 04:17 AM
NandanWarrier

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Is The Grass Greener ...

I like it. Wants me go towards the door.. Its looks like an unusual door with some sort of antique feel to it, but you still choose to keep your subject out of focus. An Interesting take.

Although i would love to see the foreground with something in the grass? May be a toy? Thought that would add an element of mystery.. Just thinking loud..

But I love the sublimity. It works just fine for me. I even love the mood. Lovely capture.

Feb 18, 2013 at 07:51 AM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Is The Grass Greener ...

A creative, interpretative image Kent.
I think the softly focused door works but maybe a bit too much competition from the amount of sharply focused grass where there is no real subject but where the eye is drawn nonetheless. I wonder about leaving just a thin layer of focused grass, or keeping it all soft as alternatives.
Whatever you decide, an interesting entry and addition to the WA. Good luck.

Scott

Feb 18, 2013 at 12:32 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Is The Grass Greener ...

Good idea Kent,

Must agree with Scott about the sharp foreground overwhelming the door. Maybe less of an abrupt transition?

Curious - did you shoot an inverted versions? Sharp door, OOF foreground?

Good luck!

Bob

Feb 18, 2013 at 01:29 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Is The Grass Greener ...

Thanks guys.

+1 @ maybe a bit more scale/mass to the grass that overwhelms the door a bit. Thought about trimming it down some more, but left as is for critique. While the doors for WA is certainly the immediate application, it isn't the only purpose/intent for the image.

This is actually a tombstone memorial vault ... thus the "other side" is in context of death & burial, and the focus on the grass/ground is a bit of a question related to is this the way to pass through the door to the other side where the grass is greener.

The current crop omits the name atop the vault. I'm surmising that the memorial vault aspect isn't coming through well as a result. Here's an sooc of the reversed focus that offers another perspective. This was my original thought for the WA effort, but once I was lying on the ground, the relationship of the ground to the doors to the other side brought things into a different focus for me, hence the inverted focal point as part of the burial/ascension interplay. Maybe, I could show the full memorial, but clone out the name (rather than crop).

As is, I figure it only presents about 60%-70% of the message. Likely will need a re-shoot as I think it through some more. Getting the interplay of focus (tilt/shift) weighted between them will be a challenge to the dynamics of the image ... the devil is in the details.

BTW ... try not to think of this one in context of the WA or a picture of doors. My goals for it are to work it to stand on its own as a philosophical piece geared toward thought provocation of what lies on the other side, once we are laid to rest.

Feb 18, 2013 at 01:55 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Is The Grass Greener ...

Wouldn't have ever made those associations, but then I'm more nerd-like.

Bob

Feb 18, 2013 at 03:52 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Is The Grass Greener ...

Bob Jarman wrote:
Wouldn't have ever made those associations

Then my message didn't get conveyed ... ... on to Round 2.

Feb 18, 2013 at 04:02 PM
JHut
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Is The Grass Greener ...

Kent... In my opinion a B&W conversion may strengthen this image. I enjoy the artistic aspect of photography more than a technical purist. The manipulation may not appeal to most. I removed the building to the side. I like the soft shadows and the focus on the doors for this image.

Feb 19, 2013 at 01:39 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Is The Grass Greener ...

John,

Thanks ... I hadn't gotten to the thought of full mono yet. It does lend a certain vibe to it that the greenery doesn't.

Feb 19, 2013 at 02:06 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password