Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Square Filters For n00bs

adam613
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Square Filters For n00bs

I'm sick of having (and having to carry) a ton of screw-on filters for my various lenses. I frequently use ND filters and polarizers, and I'd like to work with gradient NDs as well, so I think it's time to make the move to square/rectangular filters. But I'm confused, and I suspect I'm not the only one.

It seems like the two major fitler holder types: Lee and Cokin. What are the advantages and disadvantages of each? Is there any cross-compatibility between different brands' filters, holders, adapters rings, etc? If I have a holder that can hold three filters, is there any disadvantage to actually using three filters (say, a 3-stop ND, a 6-stop ND, and a circular polarizer, if I'm trying to take a picture of a fountain in daylight? That's a fairly common use case for me.) Which holders and filters do/do not work well with ultrawide lenses...like a 12-24 on APS-C? Do I need a separate holder for each lens or can I share a holder and just get one adapter ring for each size I need?

What should I buy, preferably that I have in-hand by Thursday? It seems like the Lee Foundation Kit is the best of all worlds in terms of holders, but's also not in stock anywhere...I can make do for next week's trip if it's really that much better.

Feb 18, 2013 at 02:44 AM
gpchase
• • •
p.1 #2 · Square Filters For n00bs

I have several components of the Lee foundation 100 system. The holder I have only accepts 2 filters but can be adjusted to hold 4. It works well but is somewhat expensive as are the sizing ring adapters.
You may find stock at this CDN retailer where I bought mine.
www.vistek.ca

Feb 18, 2013 at 03:15 AM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Square Filters For n00bs

You may want to look at Hitech brand (from the UK). Priced between the Cokin and Lee and very nice.

Feb 18, 2013 at 04:58 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password