FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Folsom Blues

TerryCzap
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Folsom Blues

The old building rests in one of the declining small towns scattered amongst the prairie states in the U.S., this one, in the northeast corner of New Mexico (Folsom). This area of the U.S. used to be considered "no mans land" in the 1800s, due to its remoteness, with numerous criminals hiding out from time to time. Where I live, 20 miles from this hotel, we have a rock etched with Jesse James name on it. Quite a bit of history, but not much money in the area. All comments and criticism welcomed.

I have concluded the white luminance on my 24 inch iMac cannot be brought down to acceptable levels (even with my xrite calibrator), so I have no real idea as to the brightness/darkness that the viewer will observe. I've dreaded posting here for a while do to this quirk, but... here it goes anyway. My display will be upgraded shortly.

Terry

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folsom,_New_Mexico

Folsom Hotel

Edited on Feb 17, 2013 at 10:06 PM · View previous versions

Feb 17, 2013 at 09:27 PM
harshaj1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Folsom Blues

I like the composition. Great image. Well done.
Harsha

Feb 17, 2013 at 09:31 PM
TerryCzap
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Folsom Blues

Thanks Harsha.... to light or dark?

Feb 17, 2013 at 09:43 PM
harshaj1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Folsom Blues

TerryCzap wrote:
Thanks Harsha.... to light or dark?

I think it looks good.
Harsha

Feb 17, 2013 at 09:52 PM
TerryCzap
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Folsom Blues

Thought I'd add the color version. This is an HDR. The B/W was from this version as well.

Terry

Feb 18, 2013 at 02:19 AM
rocco61
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Folsom Blues

Nice work both shots

Feb 18, 2013 at 03:18 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Folsom Blues

Hey Terry,

That's pretty cool looking. Even your color HDR looks nice. Now, it is sad how there is much of small town america that is just dying out...

As for your monitor. Even with my calibrated monitor, I have found that my eyeballs and brain can sometimes compensate with an image to where my brain seems to no longer have proper comprehesion to my images. This usually happens after working too long on one image, where I think we can lose sight of it. All that to say, what I do even with my calibrated monitor is when I finish a photo, I post it up on my pbase site, and then I view it on a couple of other screens, even on my ipad or iphone as they seem to be a pretty neutral device for viewing purposes. Even then, I usually sit on it for a day or so, and go back to it with fresh eyes, but again looking at it on my pbase site.

Maybe some food for thought?

Jim

Feb 18, 2013 at 03:32 AM
TerryCzap
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Folsom Blues

Thanks rocco, and that is some good advice Jim. When I've had prints made from WHCC and a local print shop, they've been unusably dark, so it has left me looking for a solution. After calibration my luminance has a reading of 160 - 180, and I've felt this was the problem.

Feb 18, 2013 at 08:07 AM
douter
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Folsom Blues

Looks forlorn and worth some additional angles.
Douglas

Feb 18, 2013 at 08:19 AM
astro-ep
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Folsom Blues

Gotta choose the B&W. I'll have to put Folsom on my list...

Thanks for sharing here.

Eric

Feb 18, 2013 at 12:30 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.