Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              61      
       63              70       71       end

Fujifilm X100/X100s Thread

KatieInTexas
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.62 #1 · Fujifilm X100/X100s Thread

Off to find a manual...

Mar 06, 2014 at 04:12 PM
Ian Boys
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.62 #2 · Fujifilm X100/X100s Thread

KatieInTexas wrote:
X100

In that case the best advice is to turn on the focus assist light. It provides decent contrast in low light.

Mar 06, 2014 at 04:58 PM
Ian Boys
• • •
p.62 #3 · Fujifilm X100/X100s Thread

If you look at this image (not mine) you'll see the 2 focusing boxes in the centre:

Mar 06, 2014 at 05:02 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.62 #4 · Fujifilm X100/X100s Thread

I leave my X100's AF assist light off and don't have issues, especially after newer firmwares.

It should also be mentioned that, while the lens does get a little softer at f2-2.8 up close, it is still not terrible, especially for people shots, unless you're talking near macro distances.

Mar 06, 2014 at 05:14 PM
weezintrumpete
• • • •
p.62 #5 · Fujifilm X100/X100s Thread

Katie...did you install the newest firmware?

I agree... f2 is absolutely fine, unless you're at near-macro distances as Douglas says.

As for focusing, just learn to anticipate the shot and focus accordingly. But seriously, the AF assist light will help if it's dark. Additionally, always try to place the focus box on a vertical patch of contrast. This helps a lot. If you make the AF box larger, that will help with focus speed, but will decrease accuracy (I think).

Good luck!

Mar 06, 2014 at 05:24 PM
KatieInTexas
• • •
p.62 #6 · Fujifilm X100/X100s Thread

Thanks guys. Just did some reading and some tweaking of my settings. Yes, I have the latest firmware installed (but I waited until just a week or so ago to do it; as honestly I was only using the camera for product shots to sell equipment).

I enabled the feature with the double/triple box, but am not really sure what it means. Care to go into detail for me on what the boxes do/mean? I know it's something with parallax (or it seems to be).

I did do/find something that made a HUGE different in close up shots. Turning the focus to manual and using the AEL button to autofocus got me at near a 100% accuracy with shots. Not sure of the drawbacks - other than it's EFV only; but if I have to use EFV to get fast accurate focus, I will.

Mar 06, 2014 at 06:08 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.62 #7 · Fujifilm X100/X100s Thread

KatieInTexas wrote:
Thanks guys. Just did some reading and some tweaking of my settings. Yes, I have the latest firmware installed (but I waited until just a week or so ago to do it; as honestly I was only using the camera for product shots to sell equipment).

I enabled the feature with the double/triple box, but am not really sure what it means. Care to go into detail for me on what the boxes do/mean? I know it's something with parallax (or it seems to be).

I did do/find something that made a HUGE different in close up shots. Turning the focus to
...Show more

Hi, Katie. The closer you get to the subject, the more that the offset of the OVF comes into play. That's why there is the double box. The box in the middle indicates the focus spot location at infinity, and the box at the bottom right indicates the focus spot location at around .7m. So, for instance, if you're shooting at something 5ft away, the actual focus spot will be somewhere in between the two, which is why, when the green box lights up, it lights up between the two to show where the actual focus spot is. You'll start to get a feel of where the box will end up when you half press the shutter.

I've noticed that, even though the new X100 firmware allows closer focus before going into macro mode, the OVF is still only accurate to around .7m, so, if you need closer than that, the EVF is the way to go. These are all the standard trade offs between a rangefinder-type OVF and a through the lens OVF/EVF. Hope that helps!

Mar 06, 2014 at 06:14 PM
_downfall_

p.62 #8 · Fujifilm X100/X100s Thread

Fuji X100s

Mar 06, 2014 at 08:59 PM
alepacca

p.62 #9 · Fujifilm X100/X100s Thread

Other photo HERE

Mar 06, 2014 at 11:25 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.62 #10 · Fujifilm X100/X100s Thread

Nice shots! I really like the gargoyle shot on your blog.

Mar 06, 2014 at 11:42 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

alepacca

p.62 #11 · Fujifilm X100/X100s Thread

kwoodard wrote:
Nice shots! I really like the gargoyle shot on your blog.

Tank you very much!

Mar 07, 2014 at 08:23 AM
Feudal1

p.62 #12 · Fujifilm X100/X100s Thread

Some beautiful images here. I drove out to a camera shop in Baltimore with the intention of purchasing a Fuji X-T1 this past weekend (which I did). However, while in the store, I saw the new black X100s - a sexy looking camera. I walked out with both the X100s and X-T1 (which I'm now selling another camera to finance). Anyway, went over to the Rawlings Conservatory near downtown Baltimore, and had a blast shooting with both cameras. Love the image quality and the way Fuji handles color. A few from the X100s.

Mar 07, 2014 at 02:33 PM
traveler
• • • •
p.62 #13 · Fujifilm X100/X100s Thread

Gotta tell ya. After years of using top Canon, Nikon and then Olympus bodies and lenses, I have never seen images that project this inexplainable yummyness that the Fuji's do. Their optics are simply sublime but the processing that sensor provides is just something to behold. I don't like to use the word "magical" but it's something special for sure. for the detractors all I can say is they just don't get it. I'm hooked. I hear the 23mm f1.4 (like I just picked up) on a X-T1 do what you're images portray. Now I have to wait till my wife's flowers start popping up to find out.

Mar 07, 2014 at 03:07 PM
Feudal1

p.62 #14 · Fujifilm X100/X100s Thread

traveler wrote:
Gotta tell ya. After years of using top Canon, Nikon and then Olympus bodies and lenses, I have never seen images that project this inexplainable yummyness that the Fuji's do. Their optics are simply sublime but the processing that sensor provides is just something to behold. I don't like to use the word "magical" but it's something special for sure. for the detractors all I can say is they just don't get it. I'm hooked. I hear the 23mm f1.4 (like I just picked up) on a X-T1 do what you're images portray. Now I have to wait till my
...Show more

I've shot Canon and Nikon over the years, but when it comes to colorful subjects like flowers, the Fuji cameras are hard to beat. They do a nice job with color and bokeh, in situations where shooting my Canon has been a challenge. I'm in the process of selling some Sony and Canon gear, and will be purchasing some additional Fuji lenses in the future. The fact that the Fuji cameras and lenses are smaller and lighter is a great bonus as well. Hauling around a bunch of SLR equipment gets old fast, especially on a hot day when out hiking.

Mar 07, 2014 at 03:26 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.62 #15 · Fujifilm X100/X100s Thread

traveler wrote:
Gotta tell ya. After years of using top Canon, Nikon and then Olympus bodies and lenses, I have never seen images that project this inexplainable yummyness that the Fuji's do. Their optics are simply sublime but the processing that sensor provides is just something to behold. I don't like to use the word "magical" but it's something special for sure. for the detractors all I can say is they just don't get it. I'm hooked. I hear the 23mm f1.4 (like I just picked up) on a X-T1 do what you're images portray. Now I have to wait till my
...Show more

Boy, I don't know. I think we're getting a little carried away. I love the handling of my X100 and X100s, which is why I'm solely shooting the X100 series, but my old RX1 runs circles around it in the IQ department. I think of my X100 as having great handling and good enough IQ, which is good enough for me. If IQ was my top priority, I'd be shooting the RX1 all the way.

Mar 07, 2014 at 07:54 PM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.62 #16 · Fujifilm X100/X100s Thread

douglasf13 wrote:
Boy, I don't know. I think we're getting a little carried away. I love the handling of my X100 and X100s, which is why I'm solely shooting the X100 series, but my old RX1 runs circles around it in the IQ department. I think of my X100 as having great handling and good enough IQ, which is good enough for me. If IQ was my top priority, I'd be shooting the RX1 all the way.

Completely agree. I find RX1 images a world better than any Fuji camera's. It's not even close. That Zeiss lens on the RX1 is just absolutely amazing. I am soooooo tempted to get this camera, but I just cant spend that kind of money on a digital camera. Not one without a viewfinder anyway. So I wait. If Sony ever made an RX1 that was more like the Fuji X100, then I'd probably lose my resistance.

Mar 07, 2014 at 10:47 PM
millsart
• • • •
p.62 #17 · Fujifilm X100/X100s Thread

I 3rd the RX1's IQ easily trumping anything Fuji has produced, including my XT1 w/ 23/1.4

Fuji gives very nice color, WB, and just overall very good JPEG's but its really not all that magical

RX1 does have some rather nice IQ, but Fuji trumps it in terms of a lot of handling issues, thus why I've sold the RX1 twice over

Mar 07, 2014 at 10:59 PM
itai195
• • •
p.62 #18 · Fujifilm X100/X100s Thread

rattymouse wrote:
Completely agree. I find RX1 images a world better than any Fuji camera's. It's not even close. That Zeiss lens on the RX1 is just absolutely amazing. I am soooooo tempted to get this camera, but I just cant spend that kind of money on a digital camera. Not one without a viewfinder anyway. So I wait. If Sony ever made an RX1 that was more like the Fuji X100, then I'd probably lose my resistance.

Me too. RX2 with a built in EVF and maybe decent AF, that would be hard to resist. But the X100 is a really fun camera to shoot with and still puts out some pretty great images. I just am not really blown away by the IQ on a technical level.

Mar 07, 2014 at 11:01 PM
millsart
• • • •
p.62 #19 · Fujifilm X100/X100s Thread

Same sensor/lens (but with built in ND filter) slightly larger body to accommodate a left corner EVF (rivaling XT1) and small grip, tilting touch screen, and EM1 AF speed....

You couldn't take my $2800 fast enough... dream camera

Mar 07, 2014 at 11:07 PM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.62 #20 · Fujifilm X100/X100s Thread

millsart wrote:
Same sensor/lens (but with built in ND filter) slightly larger body to accommodate a left corner EVF (rivaling XT1) and small grip, tilting touch screen, and EM1 AF speed....

You couldn't take my $2800 fast enough... dream camera

100% agree!!

Mar 07, 2014 at 11:15 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password