Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              50      
       52              71       72       end

Fujifilm X100/X100s Thread

Ian Boys
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.51 #1 · p.51 #1 · Fujifilm X100/X100s Thread

Hot Water Plant, Volgograd by Ian_Boys, on Flickr

Northern Volgograd by Ian_Boys, on Flickr

Diesel Locomotive, Red October Factory by Ian_Boys, on Flickr

Nov 20, 2013 at 11:14 AM
Ian Boys
• • • •
p.51 #2 · p.51 #2 · Fujifilm X100/X100s Thread

The two factories together are as big as our local town. Scene of massive fighting in WW2. Apart from a train driver I saw nobody in either. One appeared to be completely shut down and in the other one it seemed just a steel hall was operating.

Barrikady Factory, Volgograd by Ian_Boys, on Flickr

Volgograd by Ian_Boys, on Flickr

The windows in the roof of this HUGE hall were missing and a foul yellowy smoke was coming out. I can't imagine what it must be like to work inside.

Red October Factory, Volgograd by Ian_Boys, on Flickr

The sign says that if you climb over you'll will die. Fair warning.

Red October Factory, Volgograd by Ian_Boys, on Flickr

Nov 21, 2013 at 11:32 AM
J_Andrew
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.51 #3 · p.51 #3 · Fujifilm X100/X100s Thread

The March Madness Marching Band doing their thing at a recent art exhibit/opening party in Lexington, KY.

Nov 21, 2013 at 09:35 PM
Ian Boys
• • • •
p.51 #4 · p.51 #4 · Fujifilm X100/X100s Thread

Div HQ of the 138 Red Banner Rifle Division which held Ludnikov's Island. This was not an island but was a small pocket of Soviet troops cut off from the rest of their army and with the Volga at their backs. There was no escape so they held in the face of the Germans.

Nov 23, 2013 at 11:18 AM
Seth Lord

p.51 #5 · p.51 #5 · Fujifilm X100/X100s Thread

Ian - very nice - how do you get that old colour negative print look?

Nov 23, 2013 at 12:38 PM
Seth Lord

p.51 #6 · p.51 #6 · Fujifilm X100/X100s Thread

The Way - St Jean Pied de port to Roncavalles, Spain
X100s

Nov 23, 2013 at 12:43 PM
krugorg

p.51 #7 · p.51 #7 · Fujifilm X100/X100s Thread

garden island by Kyle Krug, on Flickr

Nov 23, 2013 at 08:17 PM
alepacca

p.51 #8 · p.51 #8 · Fujifilm X100/X100s Thread

Hallowen night in Mogliano >HERE<

Nov 23, 2013 at 11:29 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.51 #9 · p.51 #9 · Fujifilm X100/X100s Thread

krugorg wrote:
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3824/11015079636_1fa245c420_c.jpg
garden island by Kyle Krug, on Flickr

This is a bloody fantastic shot.

Nov 24, 2013 at 03:47 AM
Fursan
• •
p.51 #10 · p.51 #10 · Fujifilm X100/X100s Thread

carstenw wrote:
....However, it is a couple of steps up from most Middle Eastern countries, for example. .

Could you please mention which Middle Eastern countries you are talking about...Then we can properly compare on the basis of per capita income, infrastructure, health care, education, social net etc. Why not compare these with the west too since we are at it.

Let's not forget the homeless, the %age below poverty level. Oh, yes..how many hungry children?

Regards.

Nov 24, 2013 at 06:00 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

carstenw
• • • • • •
p.51 #11 · p.51 #11 · Fujifilm X100/X100s Thread

Have you been to Russia? Have you been to the middle east?

Nov 24, 2013 at 07:41 PM
Fursan
• •
p.51 #12 · p.51 #12 · Fujifilm X100/X100s Thread

carstenw wrote:
Have you been to Russia? Have you been to the middle east?

Russia?, no I have not been there.

Middle East..that is my home. I live here.

Now you tell me what makes you an expert on the Middle East. Is it just a camera tooting tourist propagating half truths
or repeating what was heard in some expat bar.

Nov 24, 2013 at 11:27 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.51 #13 · p.51 #13 · Fujifilm X100/X100s Thread

Look, I have been to both. If you have not, the discussion can end here.

Nov 25, 2013 at 12:04 AM
Fursan
• •
p.51 #14 · p.51 #14 · Fujifilm X100/X100s Thread

carstenw wrote:
Look, I have been to both. If you have not, the discussion can end here.

No. Being to both countries is like saying that I have visited most countries in the world ( fact ). That does not make me an expert.

You have avoided the question I originally asked.

Which countries of the Middle East have you visited, in what capacity and for how long..which gives you the expertise to
make erroneous and blanket statements about our region.

More importantly, did you personally mix with the local population of the region, visit their homes, share their bread.

Or was is just a guided tour in 5 star hotels..in and out with your camera.

There is a gentleman here posting photos from Dubai. That is not Dubai. He has just ventured into areas of an expat community and gives the impression that that could be Dubai.

So which Middle Eastern country have you spent time in and come to know its people to pass this grand judgement of yours.

Nov 25, 2013 at 10:25 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.51 #15 · p.51 #15 · Fujifilm X100/X100s Thread

I am not interested in some political discussion. You clearly feel wronged because you live in the middle east. This was neither my intention, nor my point. This is the end of the discussion from my side.

Nov 25, 2013 at 11:22 AM
Fursan
• •
p.51 #16 · p.51 #16 · Fujifilm X100/X100s Thread

carstenw wrote:
I am not interested in some political discussion. You clearly feel wronged because you live in the middle east. This was neither my intention, nor my point. This is the end of the discussion from my side.

Neither do I want to continue this discussion. My issue is that laymen become armchair analysts and pronounce statements based on hearsay or ignorance.

It is that half-truths that I am against.

Nov 25, 2013 at 01:30 PM
dubaiphil
• • •
p.51 #17 · p.51 #17 · Fujifilm X100/X100s Thread

I think I can safely say that I am photographing Dubai. It is Dubai. Bur Dubai and Deira. In Dubai

Where I have lived

For 9 years

Admittedly as a western expat I don't have the opportunity to break bread with the local populace, but my street shots are of workers who do the day to day manual labour, which the locals do not do. Why have a dog and bark yourself, after all.

These areas of town are full of life, energy and hubbub. They are the focal point of the original areas of the city which grew on either side of the creek as a trading hub. And that's where these workers do their work - in the old trading/wholesaling/souk areas of town. So guess what - it is Dubai.

Admittedly I don't shoot many photographs of locals. Do you know why? Cultural barriers. They're there, and I don't over step the mark.

Would you rather see what? 5* hotels, camels, multi million dollar boats, supercars, palaces? I can oblige, if you'd like. That's the more plastic modern version of the city, which has grown from the areas which I shoot street photography in.

Nov 25, 2013 at 03:46 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.51 #18 · p.51 #18 · Fujifilm X100/X100s Thread

I happen to love Phil's pictures and really couldn't care less which particular area of Dubai they were taken. I would also not be bothered if the pics didn't accurately represent what certain individuals feel is "proper" documentary. Besides, who are we to judge? It's funny, when I was an expat in SE Asia, I had a few similar comments on my pics. Some felt that it would somehow be better if I only captured the slums and decrepid areas....

Nov 25, 2013 at 04:17 PM
Fursan
• •
p.51 #19 · p.51 #19 · Fujifilm X100/X100s Thread

Two responses..

dubaiphil has been in Dubai for 9 years! Must be a better life than where he is from. Better money, better standard of living.. Must be more than a few notches above Russia as Mr. Carsten emphasized.

I know why you don't shoot photos of local..it takes time to get to know them. And then there is indeed the cultural barrier. Living in gated compounds does not afford much local intermix.

You are there only because what you call the ' plastic ' version of the city exists. Else no need for you.

Gary happens to love Phil's pictures. More power to the both of you. I am not discussing the merits of Phil's pics ( some are nice ) but the context that is predominantly focussed on the Indian/Pakistani community in Dubai.

The Middle East is country of traditions. Deep rooted in history. Families can trace their origins to Abraham without going to genealogists. Closed Knit. The Gulf region more so.

Here is my grand uncle being greeted by my sons, my nephews and other of the younger generation.

This is more representative of the Middle East..

Nov 25, 2013 at 04:49 PM
hijazist
• • • •
p.51 #20 · p.51 #20 · Fujifilm X100/X100s Thread

Fursan, so your first couple of posts here on FM you start by arguing with everyone regarding the topics and merits of their photos? Take it easy my friend I prefer Phil's take on Dubai much better than I see in touristic brochures.

That's the nature of Dubai, and most Gulf states for that matter. The working force is foreign and the cultural (even political) barriers makes taking photos of locals extremely difficult. He's not claiming that his photos are reflective of the city, he's just documenting another perspective of the city.

"The Middle East is country of traditions. Deep rooted in history. Families can trace their origins to Abraham without going to genealogists. Closed Knit. The Gulf region more so."

No one is arguing against the deep-rooted history of the Middle-East either, simply due to the fact that most people on the forum are educated enough to know that, however, the "origin from Abraham" argument wouldn't work here, maybe where you come from among friends & relatives but not here

The best thing I've learnt during my time in the States are two things, don't discuss religion nor politics with people you don't know very well. Please let's keep the forum this way...

Nov 25, 2013 at 05:32 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password