FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · wedding cancellation

bignorm
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · wedding cancellation

I booked a bride in 2010 for a wedding in september of 2011. In the summer of 2011 she called and said they are canceling the wedding because her husband had just started a job and they wouldn't let him off for his own wedding. o.O ( really) so I extended her the only option which was to reschedule it and I will accommodate her date because I have a no refund clause in my contract for stating that no refunds are to be given unless there is death or serious illness to bride, groom or immediate family.

Fast fowrard to Feb 5th 2013. Bride contacts me requesting refund because they are buying a new house and see no wedding in the near future.

I explain the NO REFUND Policy and she replies she is requesting her refund because she was going to get married on July 10th of 2012 but her mom got extremely ill and was near death so she wants a refund on those grounds. Keep in mine she never rescheduled her wedding with me nor was I notified of a new date or of a cancellation.

She paid $850 of a $1850 package.

I went as far as offering her a studio credit or a partial refund of $400 in 2 $200 payments and she declined.

Have I done more than enough

Feb 17, 2013 at 06:42 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · wedding cancellation

She has "credit". End of story.

Feb 17, 2013 at 07:50 PM
LivLif
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · wedding cancellation

Yea. Sorry but I would of never offered her a partial refund. It was three years ago. WTF

Feb 17, 2013 at 07:51 PM
lilyphoto
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · wedding cancellation

I see no reason why she should get any refund. Credit, that's it.

Feb 17, 2013 at 09:00 PM
Robin Usagani
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · wedding cancellation

What does the contract say? Mine says full amount has to be paid 1 month prior and $1200 has to be paid as a retainer to book the day. If they cancel longer than 1 month, I keep $1200. If they cancel closer to that, I keep the whole thing. I have only shot 10 weddings and I have had 3 engagements broken off.

Feb 17, 2013 at 10:11 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · wedding cancellation

Keep it. You owe her nothing. It's not your fault that they cancelled and never rescheduled.

Feb 17, 2013 at 10:12 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · wedding cancellation

I think it was a bad idea to offer any partial refund. It's been three years I wouldn't even give them a credit, that sort of thing has long since expired.

Feb 17, 2013 at 10:34 PM
Jamesbjenkins
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · wedding cancellation

She'd get nothing from me. You've already done more than could reasonably be expected.

Feb 18, 2013 at 07:22 AM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · wedding cancellation

I wouldnt pay back anything as it is not a pay-back !!! she cancelled long ago and never contacted you till now that she is buying a new house and aparently trying to get money from wherever, trying to get it from you is so desperate and pathetic !!! very irritating to me !!!

Jaime

Feb 18, 2013 at 07:28 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · wedding cancellation

I think the partial refund / credit was a mistake. You're giving up ground when there is no need to.

Have you tried explaining to her WHY there is a no refund clause? And how this effects yourself, your business, your family?

I would just end contact dead, give her an ultimatum. You don't owe her anything, she's just being harassing by the sounds of it. But now that you've given her credit, that could complicate things... you're essentially asking her to come back for a portrait session or future wedding?

Feb 18, 2013 at 07:42 AM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · wedding cancellation

ricardovaste wrote:
Have you tried explaining to her WHY there is a no refund clause? And how this effects yourself, your business, your family?

+1

so true and strong !!!!

Feb 18, 2013 at 07:54 AM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · wedding cancellation

Refer to your contract.

Feb 18, 2013 at 08:14 AM
trillium
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · wedding cancellation

I'm surprised you offered her anything back. Now she's going to come back and ask you for the 2x$200. Good luck.

Feb 18, 2013 at 09:39 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.