Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · NCAA Gymnastics- UofI vs Iowa - "Gym Jam"

canav844

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · NCAA Gymnastics- UofI vs Iowa - "Gym Jam"

Gym Jam is when they have both the Men's and Womens meets at the same time. This year they had Iowa visiting for a Big Ten kind of day.

My Favorites from the day:

And a link to the gallery (I didn't focus on covering the Men's competition but there are a few snaps in there): [URL]http://www.dcanavanphoto.com/p631142092[/URL]

The last few meets have had a significant increase in traffic around the events so getting clean backgrounds and even keeping people from planting themselves between the action and my lens has become a challenge, so hopefully I'm beating the elements to come up with the results. EXIF data should be intact, most shots are 7D 135L @ f2 1/1250.

Feb 17, 2013 at 10:40 PM
CW100
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · NCAA Gymnastics- UofI vs Iowa - "Gym Jam"

canav844 wrote:
Gym Jam is when they have both the Men's and Womens meets at the same time. This year they had Iowa visiting for a Big Ten kind of day.

The last few meets have had a significant increase in traffic around the events so getting clean backgrounds and even keeping people from planting themselves between the action and my lens has become a challenge, so hopefully I'm beating the elements to come up with the results. .

it's always a challenge to get "clean" backgrounds, even outdoor sports

Feb 18, 2013 at 10:10 AM
ifxbonz
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · NCAA Gymnastics- UofI vs Iowa - "Gym Jam"

Change your angle to include a little more of the equipment in the images.

Andy

Feb 18, 2013 at 06:10 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

lhryshko
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · NCAA Gymnastics- UofI vs Iowa - "Gym Jam"

#'s 1 and 3 for me this time around. Floor is always tough to shoot as there are very few opportunities. Neither of your floor images work well for me. They are OK but not great action or athleticism are shown and the backgrounds don't help. You might try getting more poses at the beginning and ends of routines or prior to the start of tumbling lines. Split leaps are also nice. These are generally the low-hanging fruit for floor.

You mentioned in your previous post that your girlfriend is a retired gymnast. You will not find any better source than that for validating flattering/athletic captures as you hone your craft.

Feb 19, 2013 at 06:36 AM
canav844

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · NCAA Gymnastics- UofI vs Iowa - "Gym Jam"

Andy, looking through my images I noticed on the whole I've been centering the gymnasts, I think I'm going to start moving them off center a little and see if that helps me get more of the equipment in frame. I'd love floor access, right now I don't have it, so these are what I've been able to get from the stands, which has left my choice of angles somewhat limited.

lhryshko, with floor this time I decided to approach it similar to if I had been shooting a stage dance performance. I go back and forth between shooting the choreography (more common easier to make atheistically work), and the gymnastic stuff (more challenging harder to make look good). As far as action and athleticism, would one of these work better, and at least be along the lines of the type moment I should be trying to capture and make look good in camera?
http://www.dcanavanphoto.com/p631142092/e559b048a
http://www.dcanavanphoto.com/p631142092/e5599f9a6
http://www.dcanavanphoto.com/p631142092/e559a238c

And I am taking advantage of my resource, there's a bit of a gap as she speak camera about as well as I speak gymnastics, but we actually ended up going to another meet on Sunday to watch level 7-10 gymnastics, I really didn't shoot much as many of the angles sucked, but the pace was a little different and instead of shooting I was sitting listening to her talk through the routines and learned a bunch of the different basics involved and developed more of a sense for the anticipation, and also she was able to point out skills to me that let me see the foundations of what I'm trying to catch at full speed connected to other skills at the college level. Looking at where I was a month ago compared to what I got this past weekend certainly is encouragement enough for me to keep working at it.

Feb 19, 2013 at 10:13 PM
lhryshko
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · NCAA Gymnastics- UofI vs Iowa - "Gym Jam"

It's very hard to capture aesthetically pleasing images of gymnasts when they are upside down since their faces are usually distorted or they are grimacing etc. Your two shots are actually quite good but they are really low percentage shots compared to other opportunities on floor. No harm in shooting these but your success rate will be low.

I finally had a chance to look through your gallery. There is a lot of great stuff in there and technically, your photos are really strong. Your girlfriend will be able to very accurately tell you which ones are good/great from a gymnast's perspective. Ask her to tell you why she likes or dislikes a shot and you'll develop your aesthetic eye in no time. My 11 year old twins can do this with ease and they taught me.

Keep at it. You're doing great!

Feb 21, 2013 at 06:08 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password