Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Horseshoe Bend (the other side)

Mark Metternich
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Horseshoe Bend (the other side)

Ever get a "wild hare" to go do something crazy just because?

While shooting Horseshoe Bend about 30 times over some years, I just couldn't help but wonder how epic it might be to camp on, and see the other side!

Finally, my SW shooting partner Nick Diggins and I decided to get crazy and go for it! Based on maps (and no 4WD at the time) we thought it would be a pretty difficult 5-6 mile hike. Boy were we wrong. Because of incredible amounts of challenging navigation around huge canyons, gullies and mountainous rocks that do not show up on maps (and our wrong approach) it ended up being more like one of the hardest 15 ever (since then I have found much easier ways)! We both carried all our gear plus 3 gallons of Gatorade.

The photo is just a hand snap for fun. A short 2 minute video clip of the adventure is on my website if you would like to see it.

Was the adventure worth the effort to me? ABSOLUTELY!

One of the funnest things I have ever done in my life. Nick said he will never forget it the rest of his life.

I hope you get a "wild hare" from time to time and see your own adventure realized!

The OTHER Side (Horseshoe Bend, AZ)

Over There.

Feb 17, 2013 at 10:27 PM
harshaj1
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Horseshoe Bend (the other side)

You are crazy Mark but knowing you I am not surprised. I wished I had the skills to do that kind of adventure.
Be safe.
Love the drama you captured in the sky in #2.
Harsha

Feb 18, 2013 at 02:39 AM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Horseshoe Bend (the other side)

harshaj1 wrote:
You are crazy Mark but knowing you I am not surprised. I wished I had the skills to do that kind of adventure.
Be safe.
Love the drama you captured in the sky in #2.
Harsha

"I wish I had the skills"? In all of my workshops thus far, no one has pushed me as you did. Do you even need sleep? BTW, thanks, and I sincerely hope all is well with you.

Feb 18, 2013 at 06:02 AM
helenica
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Horseshoe Bend (the other side)

An original Iconic shot!

Feb 18, 2013 at 08:19 AM
Dirtyharry71
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Horseshoe Bend (the other side)

Cool :-)

Feb 18, 2013 at 01:40 PM
mike reid
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Horseshoe Bend (the other side)

nicely done would be fun to paint a big red x FOCUS HERE (kidding!)

Feb 19, 2013 at 01:17 AM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Horseshoe Bend (the other side)

mike reid wrote:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW, there was a recent movie that had its last scene here. They must have been allowed to heli in with special permission. I cant remember the movie but it is a movie where these guys have special power and transport themselves all over the place and some people are trying to catch them. Maybe someone would know what movie that is.

Feb 19, 2013 at 03:08 AM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Horseshoe Bend (the other side)

That's pretty cool Mark. I bet you view your classic shots of horseshoe a bit differently now that you're more familiar with the terrain on the other side of the canyon.

Feb 19, 2013 at 03:10 AM
Greg Campbell
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Horseshoe Bend (the other side)

Very cool.

My own exploration of the area is limited to the northeast rim, up to the 'big freaking gulch' that stops travel about 2/3 of a mile from the 'standard' viewpoint.

The opposite shore is all on reservation land, is it not? What sort of permit did you need to acquire?

Feb 19, 2013 at 06:02 AM
Greg Campbell
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Horseshoe Bend (the other side)

mike reid wrote:

1- Stand in the shallow pit that has been worn into the rock by a billion tripods before you.

2- Aim the camera in the direction of the bazillion candlepower strobe lights. (Four of them, one for each ROT point of interest. Adjust zoom until they align with the tic-tac-toe board on your LCD.)

3- Focus on the giant, blinding 'X,' located dead center.

Maybe they could add a giant resolution chart to the target - something to keep the hardcore gear dweebs properly entertained.

Feb 19, 2013 at 06:10 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

MajeedB
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Horseshoe Bend (the other side)

Very cool. Probably few have seen that view

Feb 19, 2013 at 06:28 AM
Heinz H
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Horseshoe Bend (the other side)

I applaud you for your capability to go crazy, it for sure sounds like an adventure! From a photographers point of view, was it worthwhile? For anyone who never was at horseshoe bend looking at the panorama shot taken from the other side, will it be as visually impressive as the shot from the 'right' side? Would you take clients there?

Heinz

Feb 19, 2013 at 06:55 AM
kenyee
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Horseshoe Bend (the other side)

Wow...I didn't even know you could get to the other side :-O

Nice job.

Feb 19, 2013 at 03:58 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Horseshoe Bend (the other side)

Heinz H wrote:
I applaud you for your capability to go crazy, it for sure sounds like an adventure! From a photographers point of view, was it worthwhile? For anyone who never was at horseshoe bend looking at the panorama shot taken from the other side, will it be as visually impressive as the shot from the 'right' side? Would you take clients there?

Heinz

Yes! I have taken some clients since and it is simply an epic experience. We had coyotes howling at us in the middle of the night, and storm come up from no where that intimidated us all, and wild light that made the experience worth it. Here is a shot from my client from near by giving one an idea of its potential. I did not get a shot because I was involved with making sure everyone else did. I think you could pull off some decent shots with the right lighting. there are places near by, within a mile or two, that make it worth it, but some very tough 4WD and great navigation is definitely required to make it even reasonable. I am thinking up an upcoming workshop to include this and some other great lesser tread places will be on my website soon. But if you are savvy and have great 4WD experience, go for it!

Feb 19, 2013 at 06:38 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Horseshoe Bend (the other side)

Greg Campbell wrote:
Very cool.

My own exploration of the area is limited to the northeast rim, up to the 'big freaking gulch' that stops travel about 2/3 of a mile from the 'standard' viewpoint.

The opposite shore is all on reservation land, is it not? What sort of permit did you need to acquire?

Yeah I know that gulch!!! .

Feb 19, 2013 at 06:40 PM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Horseshoe Bend (the other side)

Wow, amazing shot geeez! Looks like an epic adventure!

Feb 19, 2013 at 07:06 PM
John Richter
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Horseshoe Bend (the other side)

Thanks for the opposite view, Mark. I'm glad you shared it with us.

Your clients shot is VERY nice. Congrats to him/her.

JBR

Feb 20, 2013 at 02:33 AM
Heinz H
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Horseshoe Bend (the other side)

Mark Metternich wrote:
Yes! I have taken some clients since and it is simply an epic experience. We had coyotes howling at us in the middle of the night, and storm come up from no where that intimidated us all, and wild light that made the experience worth it. Here is a shot from my client from near by giving one an idea of its potential. I did not get a shot because I was involved with making sure everyone else did. I think you could pull off some decent shots with the right lighting. there are places near by, within a
...Show more

Very nice picture! Thanks for the feedback!

Heinz

Feb 20, 2013 at 05:45 AM
David Leask
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Horseshoe Bend (the other side)

Cool shots Mark, thanks for sharing
David

Feb 20, 2013 at 01:34 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Horseshoe Bend (the other side)

For reference, the sun in my workshop client's photo is nearly the spot where everyone goes to Horseshoe bend.

Feb 20, 2013 at 06:39 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password