Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · 1dx vs 1d3 real life Photos (i wil upgrade this year)

Xandervt
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · 1dx vs 1d3 real life Photos (i wil upgrade this year)

Saving for my upgrade 1d3. Can someone post real life pictures 1dx vs 1d3 please,? thanks!

Feb 17, 2013 at 09:50 PM
ifxbonz
• • •
p.1 #2 · 1dx vs 1d3 real life Photos (i wil upgrade this year)

Ill check if I had my 400 2.8 when I owned a mk3 and see what I can come up with comparing iso and image iq.
But I can tell you there is no comparison to af ability. The dx is an animal!
I currently have a mk4 as well and It doesn't compare, and the mk4 is a good camera it's just that the dx is that much more.
Andy

Feb 18, 2013 at 05:40 AM
Xandervt
• • •
p.1 #3 · 1dx vs 1d3 real life Photos (i wil upgrade this year)

thanks Andy!

Feb 19, 2013 at 08:23 PM
ifxbonz
• • •
p.1 #4 · 1dx vs 1d3 real life Photos (i wil upgrade this year)

Xandervt,
I looked back at some archived soccer images of my daughter and really didn't come up with very many 400 2.8 images but I did find a fairly long 17 image series (to long to post) from a 300 2.8 and the mk3 shot at 3.2 and I can say with out a doubt the AF started out behind her and gradually caught up and then dropped behind at the end when another player steeped in the frame. I would have thought it would have picked up the near player but af dropped back for some reason. Now I did have problems with the mk3 back in the day of the mass recall blue dot yellow dot fiasco (which should be cleared up ) and I cant recall where this body fell, ( I did go thru 2 or 3 mk3 bodies with canon) and eventually went to the mk4 and now the dx with the mk4 as my backup. what I can tell you is the mk4 made a significant difference in af abilities over the mark 3 in its consistency, at least by my observation and the dx makes another jump to stellar over the mk4. If the dx isn't in your funding range a mk4 is a great camera or even a 5dmk3 from what I hear.

There is a lot of other things to figure but with out knowing your main shooting intentions its hard to say what is a best fit for you along with your financial spending goals.

Andy

Feb 20, 2013 at 05:59 AM
Psychic1
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · 1dx vs 1d3 real life Photos (i wil upgrade this year)

For what it's worth, the IQ of my 1DsIII is far superior to my 1DIII.

The high iso of the X is the reason I will be adding the X for the spring.

Feb 20, 2013 at 11:22 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · 1dx vs 1d3 real life Photos (i wil upgrade this year)

I have the 1DX and also the 1D3 and 1Ds3. But I don't have any comparison shots between those bodies. The new 1DX is of course very nice compared to the 1D3. For me the really big improvements coming from a 1D3 to the 1Dx is:

1. High ISO image quality
2. AF and AI Servo performance
3 Resolution 18 against 10 MP
4 Full Frame vs 1,3 crop
5 Two CF cards instead of one CF and one SD
6 The speed when writing to the CF cards and empty the buffer

Feb 21, 2013 at 04:55 AM
Xandervt
• • •
p.1 #7 · 1dx vs 1d3 real life Photos (i wil upgrade this year)

@Andy, my first needs is very fast autofocus at low lights. Weddings are most of the time to dark. Then best high iso performence. Fast focus with high iso did lead me to choose the 1d3 above the 5d2. The 5d3 has major improvements but once affected by the 1-series i doubt the 5d3 performce like a 1dx. Money is an issue but it is possible for me to buy the 1dx. Ofcourse a 5d3 with a new glass can be an option to.

@physic1 the 1ds3 is a really nice cam witch can be a good one side by side with teh 1d3. I thought about that to.

@lars, the dynamic range is that an improvement to?

Feb 24, 2013 at 10:25 PM
Psychic1
• • • •
p.1 #8 · 1dx vs 1d3 real life Photos (i wil upgrade this year)

Xandervt wrote:
Money is an issue but it is possible for me to buy the 1dx.

Buy the X and keep the III

Feb 25, 2013 at 12:57 PM
samwise
• • •
p.1 #9 · 1dx vs 1d3 real life Photos (i wil upgrade this year)

If you primarily shoot weddings, the 5D3 seems to be created for that niche... It has all the features you need, and less weight as well as the silent shutter mode (apparently the 1Dx silent shutter is pretty loud from what I hear).

Feb 25, 2013 at 01:51 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Xandervt
• • •
p.1 #10 · 1dx vs 1d3 real life Photos (i wil upgrade this year)

@Psychic1 the 1d3 is a well perfoming tool I have tot say

Feb 27, 2013 at 11:45 PM
ComicDom1
• •
p.1 #11 · 1dx vs 1d3 real life Photos (i wil upgrade this year)

I think if wedding and low light focus are you concern then the 5D3 might be a better fit. From what I understand the focus system is the same as the 1Dx with the exception dual digic 5+ chips, a digic 4 chip for focus, and the sensor array for the focus system is different in the 1DX.

The 5D3 does have a single digic 5+ chip. I read comment that the 1Dx just does everything faster but the experience that 5D3 users have reported is that focus system locks and tracks very well in low light. So if you can afford the 1Dx if you stretch things, I would stretch at least as far as the 5D3 if weddings are your game.

Jason

Feb 28, 2013 at 12:49 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · 1dx vs 1d3 real life Photos (i wil upgrade this year)

Lars Johnsson wrote:
I have the 1DX and also the 1D3 and 1Ds3. But I don't have any comparison shots between those bodies. The new 1DX is of course very nice compared to the 1D3. For me the really big improvements coming from a 1D3 to the 1Dx is:

1. High ISO image quality
2. AF and AI Servo performance
3 Resolution 18 against 10 MP
4 Full Frame vs 1,3 crop
5 Two CF cards instead of one CF and one SD
6 The speed when writing to the CF cards and empty the buffer

One real weakness of the 1D III is no UDMA support and the card write speed is quite average. If you can make use of the full 18MP of the 1D X it will be notceably better, but if you crop to same FOV you are now at 10.8MP and lose a lot of that advantage. Also 1D III battery lasts much longer, maybe 3x longer.

Feb 28, 2013 at 01:16 AM
chmod

p.1 #13 · 1dx vs 1d3 real life Photos (i wil upgrade this year)

Hmmmmm.

I've owned the 1Ds MIII since 2008, and the 1DX since mid 2012.

I am not seeing a 3x battery advantage of the 1Ds III over the 1DX. I don't see any appreciable difference in battery life shooting photos - obviously video is not in this comparison.

So...never owned a 1D MIII, are they substantially different in terms of battery life over the 1Ds MIII? Is that perhaps why you see such a huge difference?

regards,
chmod

Feb 28, 2013 at 10:14 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · 1dx vs 1d3 real life Photos (i wil upgrade this year)

chmod wrote:
Hmmmmm.

I've owned the 1Ds MIII since 2008, and the 1DX since mid 2012.

I am not seeing a 3x battery advantage of the 1Ds III over the 1DX. I don't see any appreciable difference in battery life shooting photos - obviously video is not in this comparison.

So...never owned a 1D MIII, are they substantially different in terms of battery life over the 1Ds MIII? Is that perhaps why you see such a huge difference?

regards,
chmod

You can get ~3000 shots from a 1D III, 1D X is rated at 1150 by Canon, but I'm not sure about real world, but it's supposed to be worse than 1D IV which was itself a fair bit worse than 1D III, although still excellent. Don't know about the 1Ds III, but wouldn't have thought it would be much worse than 1D III. Maybe Canon is being too conservative, but I get about the rated number of shots for my 5D III at least.

Feb 28, 2013 at 11:01 PM
Xandervt
• • •
p.1 #15 · 1dx vs 1d3 real life Photos (i wil upgrade this year)

I managed 4500 plus shots with my 1d3 quite impressive battery life

Feb 28, 2013 at 11:12 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · 1dx vs 1d3 real life Photos (i wil upgrade this year)

Xandervt wrote:
I managed 4500 plus shots with my 1d3 quite impressive battery life

I chimp a lot and use RAW only and usually the big lenses with IS always running, so for me 3000 was excellent. I only got about 800 on my 1D II in the same circumstances.

Feb 28, 2013 at 11:20 PM
TrojanHorse
• • • •
p.1 #17 · 1dx vs 1d3 real life Photos (i wil upgrade this year)

I get 3k regularly out of my 1d3 - the batteries are older though, I believe they reduced the capacity of newer 1d3 batteries... some regulation. Does that make a difference for the 1d4?

Feb 28, 2013 at 11:32 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password