Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · First Head Shots

mnakhla
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · First Head Shots

I primarily shoot weddings, but I'm starting to jump into portraiture and more studio work. Here are two head shots that I've shot over the last few days (The first one is a self-portrait). Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Shot with my D800E, 85 1.4G, and Alienbees B400

Edit: (Don't know why the banding is showing up on the 1st one though - looks fine on Flickr)

Feb 17, 2013 at 08:06 PM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · First Head Shots

First, both are so large that many of us will have to scroll to view them. 800 pixels on the long side will show well.

I like the SP. Sharp, with good expression. Not too fond of the dark areas of shadow behind you.

#2 is overexposed on a few areas of the face. Notice how the skin has gone to white in those areas. Also, the way the ear shows against the background is an odd thing. When you have a plain background like that, consider more DOF. After all, what are you trying to blur? More DOF would result in both eyes in focus too.

Feb 18, 2013 at 07:22 AM
gregSC
• • •
p.1 #3 · First Head Shots

I like the first one best. I agree with Jim above about the overexposure.

Greg

Feb 18, 2013 at 10:48 AM
douter
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · First Head Shots

Good work on the self-portrait with glasses.
Douglas

Feb 18, 2013 at 01:34 PM

elliotkramer
• • •
p.1 #5 · First Head Shots

On the self portrait - I don't know if you mean these to be just portraits or true headshots. I think the DOF is too shallow for my tastes. Also the light seems a little harsh and does not accentuate the important aspects while contouring the face. Also, the glare on the glasses is distracting, and particularly in the subject's left eye it obfuscates important details.

The second image seems overexposed.

Feb 18, 2013 at 09:44 PM
mnakhla
• •
p.1 #6 · First Head Shots

Thanks for the feedback guys. I agree about the 2nd. How do you minimize glare with glasses?

Feb 20, 2013 at 05:40 PM
microsnook
• •
p.1 #7 · First Head Shots

Her eyes are amazing in the second picture. I think your portraits are great! Especially your self portrait. I havent done one yet.

Feb 20, 2013 at 09:01 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password