Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · PSD thumbnail viewer

anchorout
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · PSD thumbnail viewer

Can I get a suggestion or two on software that will allow me to see thumbnails of psd files in windows 7? Thanks, ken

Feb 17, 2013 at 07:37 PM
howardm4
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · PSD thumbnail viewer

Maybe it's different for W7 or Win in general but when you save a .psd, you want to turn on 'Maximize Compatibility' and that should get you a thumbnail

Feb 17, 2013 at 07:42 PM
anchorout
• •
p.1 #3 · PSD thumbnail viewer

Thanks Howard,

Unfortunately I didn't see a way to turn on anything like "maximum capability" when saving a .psd file on windows 7.

Got it! Here is what we found. This has something to do with the term Codec. We found a program called Fast Picture Viewer Codec. This will allow viewing .psd files in Windows Explorer when running windows 7 on a PC. It costs $20 (on sale now for $15) and has a 15 day trial subscription.

I read this problem exists because Microsoft and Adobe can't manage to work together on this!!

Feb 17, 2013 at 08:44 PM
James_N
• • •
p.1 #4 · PSD thumbnail viewer

This issue has nothing to do with "maximize compatibility" or with the inability of Microsoft and Adobe to "work together." Its simply that since the introduction of the Adobe Bridge file browser, Adobe wants users to use Bridge to preview graphics files so they stopped releasing the dll file that enables viewing in Windows Explorer.

In the past the Sitepoint website had the dlls for enabling previews of Photoshop and Illustrator files but that stopped with CS3. So the solution is either to use Adobe Bridge to preview files created with Adobe software, or purchase a third-party codec like Ardfry or FastPicture Viewer. I personally use FPV because it allows previewing a wide range of file formats including Lightroom catalogs, whereas Ardfry codecs are sold on a per file format basis.

Feb 17, 2013 at 11:43 PM
anchorout
• •
p.1 #5 · PSD thumbnail viewer

Thanks for the clarification James.

Feb 18, 2013 at 03:33 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password