Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              8      
       10              16       17       end

Archive 2013 · Bought a "mint" 200 1.8, he delivered a beater.

mike hogle

Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #1 · Bought a "mint" 200 1.8, he delivered a beater.

Dennis, You have been mugged and robbed & no less.
I wish you luck in recovering your purchase price in full.

The demonic seller should also be punished for the assault on the lens. I have never, ever seen such mishandling and abuse of photographic equipment. It looks as if it was stolen by bandits in the African desert, thrown in the back of a pickup, and hauled around there loose for a year. Maybe he uses his Rolex for an anvil as well?

Feb 18, 2013 at 02:15 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.9 #2 · Bought a "mint" 200 1.8, he delivered a beater.

I am sorry, Dennis. I agree that you need to get negative feedback posted on this guy right away. If he posts negative feedback in retaliation when you absolutely don't deserve it, Fred will remove it. I had an issue with a seller and Fred took care of me.

Feb 18, 2013 at 02:30 PM
jaehoppa
• • •
p.9 #3 · Bought a "mint" 200 1.8, he delivered a beater.

I would drown the lens in water before shipping it back.
What an asshole.

Feb 18, 2013 at 02:45 PM
Monito
• • • • •
p.9 #4 · Bought a "mint" 200 1.8, he delivered a beater.

jaehoppa wrote:
I would drown the lens in water before shipping it back. What an asshole.

Being an asshole to an asshole just makes two assholes and an even bigger stink.

Escalation like you suggest is even worse. Not to mention a waste of an irreplaceable functional lens.

Feb 18, 2013 at 02:57 PM
buggz2k
• • •
p.9 #5 · Bought a "mint" 200 1.8, he delivered a beater.

Wow, I am sorry to hear about this.
But this is good information to pass on to everyone, thanks for the post.
I hope everything works out for you.

Feb 18, 2013 at 03:07 PM
gocolts
• • •
p.9 #6 · Bought a "mint" 200 1.8, he delivered a beater.

That Facebook page made me laugh out loud, and I'm guessing I'm not the only person to laugh at him. Swinging around knives wearing all black? What a huge dork.

Anyways, good news is that in the long-run, I'm confident the OP is going to get his money back, and the good members of this forum will make sure this guy doesn't live this down on any forum he frequents related to photography. H*ll, someone post his username and forums he's apart of, and I'll sign-up in each one, help you guys follow him around and remind him what a sociopath he is. (look up the definition of sociopath, he definately fits). Sounds like a fun new hobby for me and anyone else who wants to join in.

This isn't a misunderstanding. This is complete fraud. People need to know that stuff like this won't be tolerated.

Feb 18, 2013 at 03:15 PM
ultimaterowdy
• • •
p.9 #7 · Bought a "mint" 200 1.8, he delivered a beater.

following this thread closely. I wish for you quick resolution!!

I've been wondering about the strong reaction to this, including my own. Two thoughts came:
- this impacts the credibility of everyone on the B&S forum, especially new sellers
- this impacts the credibility of the photograph itself... our hobbies & professions rely on photographs' ability to relay something real. the seller of this lens appears to have taken that inherent credibility and used it instead to relay something untrue. the irony is unsettling at best.

best of luck Dennis, we're pulling for you. definitely don't mount or use the lens... keep this as clean as you can.

Feb 18, 2013 at 03:19 PM
Rob Whiting
• •
p.9 #8 · Bought a "mint" 200 1.8, he delivered a beater.

Bummer Dennis, he clearly misrepresented his lens with those photos.

I wish I had seen your original post for trade.. I do have a really mint 300 2.8 IS I would have been interested in trading. Look me up if you get your trades back and are interested.. I'm local too!

Feb 18, 2013 at 03:26 PM
jaehoppa
• • •
p.9 #9 · Bought a "mint" 200 1.8, he delivered a beater.

Monito wrote:
Being an asshole to an asshole just makes two assholes and an even bigger stink.

Escalation like you suggest is even worse. Not to mention a waste of an irreplaceable functional lens.

I know i know. I wouldnt do that. I would just be so angry to that point.

Feb 18, 2013 at 03:30 PM
Will Patterson
• • • •
p.9 #10 · Bought a "mint" 200 1.8, he delivered a beater.

lol, that self-admiration thread is hilarious. What a jerk.

Feb 18, 2013 at 03:38 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

galenapass
• • • •
p.9 #11 · Bought a "mint" 200 1.8, he delivered a beater.

ultimaterowdy wrote:
following this thread closely. I wish for you quick resolution!!

I've been wondering about the strong reaction to this, including my own. Two thoughts came:
- this impacts the credibility of everyone on the B&S forum, especially new sellers
- this impacts the credibility of the photograph itself... our hobbies & professions rely on photographs' ability to relay something real. the seller of this lens appears to have taken that inherent credibility and used it instead to relay something untrue. the irony is unsettling at best.

best of luck Dennis, we're pulling for you. definitely don't mount or use the lens... keep this
...Show more

I think you have touched on a point here. Yes, it does reflect on the credibility of the B&S forum, but more than that, on FM in general. I have found the B&S to be a wonderful place to do business. I makes me feel very comfortable when I know that I am dealing with a community of fellow photographers (a generalization I know) and I have found that all of my transactions have gone smoothly and the level of honesty and politeness has been very refreshing. I tend to do photography business exclusively on FM just because of this. So yes, the treatment of the OP by this scoundrel has really made me irritated. Much more of a reaction than I normally get from reading on FM. I think it is because this erodes my confidence in FM just a little. If the OP had been ripped off by someone with 1 - 3 total posts, well, that was a seller that really wasn't part of the community. But, this was different. I normally sell and buy from people with a lot of feedback or if I recognize them as contributors to the mains forums. That has been my mechanism to separate the wheat from the chaff. Going forward, I guess perhaps it is total buy and sell feedback that I will trust more, and that is a shame.

Feb 18, 2013 at 03:47 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • •
p.9 #12 · Bought a "mint" 200 1.8, he delivered a beater.

I usually buy here rather than on Craigslist, to be honest. I have been super lucky in that I haven't run into trouble - but on the flip side I am unlucky that I haven't been able to afford a high dollar lens

I would def. leave bad feedback asap. Also, what is this thread everyone is talking about? ...

EDIT.. I am assuming THIS fun read?

Feb 18, 2013 at 03:58 PM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.9 #13 · Bought a "mint" 200 1.8, he delivered a beater.

gocolts wrote:
I'll sign-up in each one,

And hand rogaltacdesign@gmail.com over to the Nigerians.

Feb 18, 2013 at 04:28 PM
tonywong88
• •
p.9 #14 · Bought a "mint" 200 1.8, he delivered a beater.

Just saw this thread.

Sorry that the OP got defrauded. Bottom line, the lens was misrepresented, and the seller's attitude (from what the OP has said) demonstrates that he knew the lens was not as described.

I live 3 hours away from the seller, and Airdrie is about 10 minutes away from Calgary (1M+ population), so it's likely the seller won't be hurt much by posting something in Airdrie.

Since you have Paypal and your credit card provider as options, exercise those options immediately. Then contact Fred and whoever else you have on the forums that you know to get this guy banned. Keep all the correspondance and send them over to them.

Do NOT threaten the seller with going over and confronting him. That is just a recipe for disaster, and the seller can claim that you've threatened to assault him etc. Don't give him any outs to claim victimhood. Also, since he is into 'self-defence' he is likely extremely dangerous. I've known more than a few of these kinds of guys and many of them are pretty self-centered and into self enhancing 'supplements'. They can be extremely irritable and hair trigger with their responses. That's enough to get someone hurt.

Get your money back by using Paypal and/or your provider and let them deal with this guy (including returning this guy's lens promptly and in the same condition you got it). This website is heavily indexed and should show up prominently with any search, so putting all the links up with this guy's name, linkedin, facebook etc. should be more than enough for any responsible buyer to find when doing any type of internet trade.

It is easy to get caught up in the pitchfork mob and talk about revenge but we should just out this guy, ban him and move on. There's too much out there to do and photograph rather than go on a crusade against this guy.

Feb 18, 2013 at 05:04 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.9 #15 · Bought a "mint" 200 1.8, he delivered a beater.

tonywong88 wrote:
It is easy to get caught up in the pitchfork mob and talk about revenge but we should just out this guy, ban him and move on. There's too much out there to do and photograph rather than go on a crusade against this guy.

+1000

EBH

Feb 18, 2013 at 05:16 PM
voltaire
• • •
p.9 #16 · Bought a "mint" 200 1.8, he delivered a beater.

Hope you get your money back. This is so unfortunate knowing how honest a seller you are. Good luck, Dennis.

Feb 18, 2013 at 05:42 PM
Psychic1
• • • •
p.9 #17 · Bought a "mint" 200 1.8, he delivered a beater.

Dennis:

Consider yourself lucky. Get your money back and purchase a new 200L IS that can be repaired, weights less and is not front heavy.

Feb 18, 2013 at 06:19 PM
dsr1
• •
p.9 #18 · Bought a "mint" 200 1.8, he delivered a beater.

I can't believe this guy had the (nerve) to do this here. He must not be planning on staying around here very long. This is pure FRAUD in the worst way. I'm wondering if the law could do anything about this. Probably not though.

Feb 18, 2013 at 06:30 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.9 #19 · Bought a "mint" 200 1.8, he delivered a beater.

I agree this is a bad situation, but hopefully Dennis will get out of it with his money back and just a bad memory.

I don't agree with the lynch mob mentality though. Seeking revenge or issuing threats is a quick way to escalate matters. The seller was wrong, made a serious mistake (bordering on criminal misrepresentation), and should be rebuked.

But I don't think the matter has gone beyond redemption. If the seller makes things right with Dennis and issues a sincere and believable public (forum) apology, I don't know that he needs to be banned. That's up to Fred when all the dust has settled.

I appeal to the seller to straighten things out as soon as possible and end this scenario.

No one has touched on this, and it's strictly a personal (peripheral) consideration: It saddens me to see such a lovely lens so badly beat up in such a short period of time! I would be embarrassed to have anyone know this happened while in my possession. Obviously, it was banged around pretty seriously by some other piece of equipment -- a situation like an overloaded camera bag or backpack riding in the bed of a pick-up on a long bumpy gravel road. And that chipped paint looks pretty recent; shiny metal, without any tarnish or dulling. Honestly, I have bad dreams of things like this: my negligence resulting expensive gear getting damaged or destroyed. Same applies to my competition guns -- these aren't just "gears", they are personalized and cherished friends, and that's how I treat them. Overly sentimental I suppose, but I take my "guardianship" seriously.

Feb 18, 2013 at 07:02 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • •
p.9 #20 · Bought a "mint" 200 1.8, he delivered a beater.

Hey Jim, I don't believe this is the same lens as the one in [M] condition. It looks like it's been poorly treated since birth, say around 1989.

Feb 18, 2013 at 07:30 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password