Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · An attempt at Sea shore fine arts from India

NandanWarrier

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · An attempt at Sea shore fine arts from India

Hello my dear fellow shutter bugs...

After my first post in this forum, i had a tremendous learning curve which i tried to incorporate in building these pictures. These pictures are taken from Mahabalipuram/Pondicherry sea side. I have tried my best with my limited knowledge to capture something different from these places and since am fairly new to photography I was excited about capturing few cliche shots as well.

I haven't been posting much in FM as am not in an authoritative position to give suggestions or comments to those wonderful pictures you all post around here. All I can share are those few adjectives which says your pictures look brilliant to me. But then, if that was the point, i guess a facebook or a flicker would've sufficed.

But someday, i hope i'll be able to help my fellow members in a better way. But for now, please take a stab at these pictures and share me your wisdom...

Feb 17, 2013 at 06:39 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · An attempt at Sea shore fine arts from India

Nice set.

I think you've done really well with conveying your message/point to your viewer. Any changes/nits that I would offer would be based on my preference/style ... no need (for me) to go there, as this is about you conveying yours. These look like you are in control of your style to bring them to this point ... which for me, "command & control" is what is necessary to bring your images from snapshot to your voice of message/point.

Unless there is something specific that you are wanting to change or some ideas @ how to achieve something different with them ... I'm diggin the set and your use of lines, scale, tonal values, etc. to draw your viewer around your image and convey a mood/message/point.

Feb 17, 2013 at 08:01 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · An attempt at Sea shore fine arts from India

Welcome, and I second RustyBug's comments.

I prefer the lines in #'s 2 & 4. To me the horizon looks very slightly tilted in #2 but perhaps it is an illusion created by the waterline..

Wonderful, lovely set!

Bob

Feb 17, 2013 at 08:12 PM
NandanWarrier

p.1 #4 · An attempt at Sea shore fine arts from India

Thank you Rusty. You brought a great amount of relief and confidence in me. An experienced guy like you who understands this art and science thinking that am on the right direction means a lot more to me than any of my friends and family's compliments.

But one place i felt a bit confused is, once you get a standard-post card shot, and then a not so sure different perspective, where do we stop?

I came back home and was wondering i could've tried few more.. or may be minor technical glitches with the photographs which are not easy to figure out in the field, but at home, you see that it just ruined a good shot..

Like with the last picture, even the sun is having a bit of motion blur, which is not easy to spot through the live view and was not exactly what i was hoping for.

How do we ensure that our handwork is not lost due to some silly mistakes? How do you do it Rusty? How do you nail your shots?

Feb 17, 2013 at 08:32 PM
NandanWarrier

p.1 #5 · An attempt at Sea shore fine arts from India

Hey bob, Thanks for your comments and am glad you liked the snaps.. I had leveled the horizon using Camera RAW straighten tool. But since you mentioned it, now am feeling it might be a bit off...

Feb 17, 2013 at 08:38 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · An attempt at Sea shore fine arts from India

NandanWarrier wrote:
But one place i felt a bit confused is, once you get a standard-post card shot, and then a not so sure different perspective, where do we stop?

The general progression for many people is along the lines of "first we learn to emulate, then we lean to create" ... getting to the place of having your own voice/message/point and/or style. You stop wherever you want to stop ... or never stop. Personally, I follow a similar progression as I move through different genre's. Our craft is so infinite, that the only thing that stops us, is our internal self-satisfaction/complacency.

+1 @ art & science blend = message/point/mood & command/control.

NandanWarrier wrote:
How do you do it Rusty? How do you nail your shots?

I screw 'em up first, try to grow & learn differently and only show the good ones.

It's kinda like playing chess or shooting billiards (or most anything really). When you first start playing chess or shooting billiards, you concentrate on your current move or shot. As you get better, you think about not only the current move/shot, but the next two or three as well. The really good ones can "see" a multitude of levels beyond the obvious. It is mostly a progressive awareness issue that you build with time and experience ... and yes, "learning from mistakes" is part of it.

BTW ... I "miss things" all the time and want to "kick myself" for not seeing it. I think part of it is how immersed & attuned you are at the time of shooting. One thing that helps me, is to use a tripod, as it intentionally slows me down. Now that I've "slowed down", I become more studious of what I'm doing. Shooting hand held, I tend to get a little too anxious to just shoot ... if that makes any sense..

The key part for me, here is the ability to analyze what you were trying to achieve, knowing how you went about it, and then realigning things as needed or making a "mental note" for next time. Kinda like a marksman that is hitting the target, but not the bulls-eye will adjust things to move him closer to his target (whatever your target may be).

Anyway, I appreciate the kind words, but I'd likewise be pleased to produce the works that you've presented here. I think you've got a vibe in your approach that is inherent to you ... you seem to be a "quick study".

Feb 17, 2013 at 08:39 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · An attempt at Sea shore fine arts from India

This is an excellent series.
Beautiful colors, excellent choices in POV, fine use of lighting with excellent technical control. All that is left is to be very picky.
Not sure what I am seeing in the center of the third image. I could go for even more silhouettes.
Well, that's it.
Excellent work.
Scott

Feb 17, 2013 at 10:26 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · An attempt at Sea shore fine arts from India

NandanWarrier wrote:
Hey bob, Thanks for your comments and am glad you liked the snaps.. I had leveled the horizon using Camera RAW straighten tool. But since you mentioned it, now am feeling it might be a bit off...

Umm, I think you've got a good bit more here than "snaps"

Don't let me talk you into seeing something that might not be there - some days I don't see things too straight myself

Bob

Feb 17, 2013 at 11:30 PM
NandanWarrier

p.1 #9 · An attempt at Sea shore fine arts from India

Well put metaphors, They really made me think photography in terms of a game. The way we approach a game of chess or pool and seeing 2-3 moves ahead, that's new to me. Makes a lot of sense. Everyone suggests to get involved while you shoot, but you're the first to suggest - make room and see another 2-3 more shots ahead.

I usually am focused on the current frame and have never gone ahead and mind planned further shots. I guess if we think in terms of 2-3 shots ahead, we'll get a fair idea, if we'd covered the subject enough.

I use a tripod to slow myself down and a bit frenzy while shooting handheld. I'll be all around the place for no good reason

Feb 18, 2013 at 07:06 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

NandanWarrier

p.1 #10 · An attempt at Sea shore fine arts from India

Again, thanks for your comments Bob.

But you are right about the horizon, Its a bit off, although by a whisker . That's some eyes you got there

Feb 18, 2013 at 07:08 AM
NandanWarrier

p.1 #11 · An attempt at Sea shore fine arts from India

Thank you Scott. Am glad you liked the pictures.

3rd picture is of fisherman fixing their nets after an early morning catch. There is a jogger on the right side as well. That cotton candy like stuff on the ground is a fishing net. I love silhouettes. I guess they say more than a brightly lit subject.

Feb 18, 2013 at 07:13 AM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · An attempt at Sea shore fine arts from India

Like the set.

The extreme distorted perspective in the first gives me the feeling the lighthouse and I'm falling over backwards which I find distracts from the content: gimmick trumps story in that one for me. Keeping the camera level would create the desired near/far distortion of the stairs looming large and the light house smaller without the lighthouse seeming to fall over. The impression / story then would be "Wow, what a long climb to get to the lighthouse..." conveying the unseen context of it being high on a hill.

Other than the unfortunate too tight crop of the end of the boat in the second I don't see anything I'd change. You've done a really effective job of using the holistic tonal gradient in the frame and leading lines to guide the viewer subconscious smoothly around the frame to the focal points. What you did with parallax to put near and far focal points together in the photo was also effective and what I call "unifying the focal points". That allows the viewer's brain to see and process them all at the same time to figure out the story vs. bouncing around the frame randomly.

The exception is the last shot where the separation of the rocks and bright sun create a ping-ping dynamic between them. But it works well in the shot because the subtle content between them is interesting and worth a second or third look while bouncing between rocks and sun.

Very solid work.

Feb 18, 2013 at 01:39 PM
NandanWarrier

p.1 #13 · An attempt at Sea shore fine arts from India

Hey Gardner, thanks for your comments and am glad you liked them. Those were your lessons that you gave me last time... The last one as you said was on purpose as i went a bit experimental on the composition part. Was not sure if that's gonna work, but went ahead and i liked it except for the motion blur in the sun. I was curious what you guys thought of it...

And for the first picture, may be I might've went a bit overboard with the perspective. I was concentrating more on the rails and the stairs that converged to the lighthouse as i knew the light house is safe with the sun lighting it really good.. But that slight negligence resulted in this distortion. Its a very low angle view and i knew there would be some amount of distortion that i cant do much about.. just a conscious choice..

Feb 18, 2013 at 01:56 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · An attempt at Sea shore fine arts from India

I didn't mean to suggest taking away your focus from the current shot to the "next shot" quite as much as it may have come across (although, I do that too, i.e. safety shot first while thinking about my "move in" shots).

What I was mostly trying to suggest is that the more we do something complex ... the more aware we become of the nuances that we are so inclined to overlook when we first began such undertakings. As we continue to grow our experience in our endeavors (photographic or chess), our powers of observation and thought build upon such experience. Then the "things we miss" get smaller & smaller ... until you are living in the land of "micro-nit". Losing at chess, is often times a mater of "missing" one of your opponents possible moves. The less we "miss", the more we see.

Kind of interesting if you think about it. Powerful images often times don't have a lot of detractors (possible opponents). Yet, really powerful images can override/obliterate the impact of micro-nits such that they are like a gnat on a whale's tail, or a pawn vs. a queen and two rooks ... nobody's looking at the gnat when the grandeur of the tail is blowing us away.

+1 @ making conscious choices ...

Even though I am on guard to distortion, I don't see the keystoning as "gimmick" in the first one. I see the stairs and rail as being part of the message and receiving appropriate scaling. Limited by the gear in hand (i.e. not a tilt/shift/bellows/movement lens) ... you play the hand your dealt to its strength, then use your PP to offset its weaknesses, or simply live with them. It may be possible that your camera position could have been benefited from some refinement to minimize the keystoning, but at what expense to the stairs/rail. To me, this is one of those powerfully imperfect images ... like the gnat on the whale.

+1 @ conscious choices ... we have to make them all the time.

Feb 18, 2013 at 02:49 PM
NandanWarrier

p.1 #15 · An attempt at Sea shore fine arts from India

Hey Rusty, Taking the focus away from the current shot is near impossible for me. I guess I got your point right, Its the mere idea of foreseeing 2-3 shots ahead that intrigued me. Its not an easy skill to acquire as you do with composition or color tones that you see through your view finder. I never planned my shots ahead. Am sure, this is something we acquire only with experience.. Not easy at all

I felt the distortion added a bit of 3 dimension to the photograph and dint try hard to correct it in post.

Feb 18, 2013 at 03:24 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · An attempt at Sea shore fine arts from India

NandanWarrier wrote:
Hey Rusty, Taking the focus away from the current shot is near impossible for me. I guess I got your point right, Its the mere idea of foreseeing 2-3 shots ahead that intrigued me. Its not an easy skill to acquire as you do with composition or color tones that you see through your view finder. I never planned my shots ahead. Am sure, this is something we acquire only with experience.. Not easy at all

I felt the distortion added a bit of 3 dimension to the photograph and dint try hard to correct it in post.

Some folks "plan their shots", while others just "feel it" and go with it. Some do a little of both. You'll find your way to what "works for you" ... and I can already see that you are well on your way. Looking forward to watching the progression.

To be honest ... as I've transitioned over the years to a more "planned" approach, I've lost some of my mojo at being able to "feel it" and capture the spontaneity of the moment. I miss that at times, and marvel a bit at those who have that capacity more so than I.

Do what works for you. There is no "right way" to preclude you from doing things "your way" ... especially when your viewer is connecting to and receiving your message. It's mostly when your viewer is not getting your message that we should be wondering if we need to be going about things differently or not. But even then, you have to (brutally honest with yourself) consider whether it is you, your message or your audience that your are presenting to. To thine own self be true, both in method and critique ... whether that be when we aspire to emulate, or when we aspire to create.

Feb 18, 2013 at 03:43 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · An attempt at Sea shore fine arts from India

NandanWarrier wrote:
Hey Rusty, Taking the focus away from the current shot is near impossible for me.

As it should be ... fully immersed is a good thing.

I never meant to overly suggest otherwise. I just meant that the more experience we build upon, the more we "see" (current shot), the less we "miss" (current shot). It comes with time, i.e. don't beat yourself up too bad over some trivial things you "missed" (yeah, I get that micro-nit perfection thing), when you're nailing the big stuff.

You've already shown to me that you have a "critical eye". The further refinement of what you "see" vs. what you "miss" will naturally evolve ... no worries, you're already "seeing" very, very well.

Feb 18, 2013 at 03:53 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password